Chapter 28

A couple months later as it approached spring of 1989, Jeff and I had helped Ollie finish off his entire album and planned for its release to coincide with Tom Petty's upcoming stadium tour.

Ollie was going to be opening for his future step father all across America this summer. It was a match made in Heaven, musically, and I knew Lauren was a proud fiancé and mother.

She is having hers and Tom's baby this summer right around the same time. It's all the man talks about which is kind of heartwarming to see. He deserved this type of happiness after all the darker times he went through in his younger years.

I found myself sitting in his home pretty regularly with Ollie as both families stayed in Los Angeles for a while. Today I had Annie with me to visit with Tom and Ollie.

"Can I go on tour with you guys and mom?" she asked Tom and Ollie.

Lauren was out with some friends.

"That's up to both your mother and father," Tom said to her.

"Well I just want to see Ollie sing on stage," she said.

"I'm sure your mom would love having you with," I said to my daughter, "she isn't going to every show... but most of them."

"Until your little brother or sister finally gets here," Tom said smiling wide.

"I wish I could get on stage before then, it's been all practice but I want the real thing," Ollie said. I knew he hated the anticipation of having to wait for the tour in a couple more months.

Tom gave him a look then went back to restringing his acoustic guitar. It was like a lightbulb went off in his head and then it faded.

We all talked more about Ollie's future and the upcoming album and then Tom joked with my kids about needing to get me back out there on stage. He wanted to do a live performance with the four remaining Wilburys but ever since Roy passed away I have been neglecting the idea.

It didn't feel the same.

Ollie and Annie ended up going to get ice cream together and I started to leave as well but Tom stopped me.

"Hey I didn't want to say anything back there but Stevie invited me to sing a duet at her upcoming concert here on Friday."

"Oh that's great man, and nice of her to invite you," I nodded, "why is it a big secret?"

He laughed, "it isn't but I have an idea."

Tom then went on to lay down his master plan.

It was only for one song where Tom is supposed to come out on stage to sing his and Stevie's famous duet "Stop Dragging My Heart Around" with her and surprise the audience.

He had the bright idea where we would all attend the concert; Lauren, Ollie, Annie, Olivia and myself. We would be there to see Stevie sing and be there for Tom's surprise performance but he was going to get sick right before and not be able to go on, to which he's gonna push for Ollie to take the stage.

It really was the perfect plan. Ollie has played the song before on guitar and I know he knows the lyrics. It has the potential to be one of the best nights of his life.

....

Friday night came very quick. Everyone was excited for the concert and getting to be backstage with Stevie. Tom had to stay back there the entire time due to his being there being a surprise for the fans.

I also had no interest in going out into the audience due to my notoriety and me not wanting to spoil the night. The two of us stayed behind for most of the show while our women and two kids went out to watch the show live.

It was then when Tom started up his performance of being sick. He was claiming he had ate something bad for lunch and had some type of food poisoning.

It was genius. Word started to spread and Lauren came rushing back to us upon hearing from a crew member.

"What's wrong?" She asked him frantically.

That's when he decided he'd better let her in on the plan so she didn't worry and harm the baby in any way. She looked like she was in love with the idea and then went back out there to put on an acting performance of her own to Ollie.

She was now in on it and within minutes Ollie was walking back to us wondering what he could do to help.

Stevie took a quick break up on stage as her band kept playing and she then wondered what was up.

"I can't play, Stevie," he said pretending to be curled over in stomach pain.

"I was excited to play the song with you," she said, "I'm sorry you are unwell."

"Ollie knows the song," Tom said through gritted teeth.

Ollie looked like he didn't want to intrude and took a defensive position with his arms crossed.

"I would love it," Stevie grew extremely excited, "the world has got to see you up on stage doing your thing sooner or later."

"I mean....." Ollie looked around at all of us, "... I could definitely do it but...."

"No buts," Tom shook his head, "I need you to do this for me."

I had to hold back laughter at how ridiculous Tom was for being so extra with this.

I stood up then and acting like the proud father that I am. It wasn't an act.

"You were born ready for this," I put my hand on his shoulder.

"I have to get back out there," she said to us all, "go pick something out in wardrobe to wear out there and be ready to go in three songs."

With that she was gone and everyone was frantically running about except for Tom.

I decided I'd better get out to the audience for this one and put on a hat and sunglasses to go join my family at stage left right near the stage to watch the whole thing.

Ollie got ready and was waiting in the wings as Stevie finally got to the song and introduced who would be "standing in for Tom Petty," on the song with her.

"Mr. Oliver Harrison!"

He walked out with his arm up to greet the crowd and to all of our surprise the crowd went wild. Everyone knew who he was and no one expected this debut this evening.

He has been on stage strictly playing guitar on tour but this was the first time he was out to play and sing. This wasn't his own music yet but this was even bigger. He was on stage with Stevie Nicks herself introducing and dueting with him.

As they started playing and singing and vibing off of each other, Tom came and joined our group. He no longer was pretending to feel sick. He put his arms around Lauren and just watched along as she was practically in tears watching her first baby up there doing his thing. 

------------------------------

A/N: At the conclusion of the chapter return to the top and watch the video that gave me inspiration for this chapter. Pretend it is Ollie up there with his parents in the crowd watching :)