Chapter Seventeen - Toils of War

The rain washes everything away. The past the future, the failures and victories of our predecessors. Until we are left standing drenched in all of it. Carrying the burden for years to come. Rain was Fallons favourite thing. The sound and the smell of it reminded her of tranquility. Peace that she never had, and will forever chase. She loved the rain, just for a moment it stilled the fire inside of her. Yet James was the oxygen that set her world ablaze.

All her walls came crumbling down in the pit of fire, and he stood in the middle enjoying the burn. Two monsters facing one another. A sullied metaphor.

What a wicked thing, the cruelty of life. The choice we never had; to be or not to be. We just are. The path we choose from there on is our own.

The lessons taught in her childhood weigh on her shoulders. The severity of them she did not understand, until she was much older.

Years later she stood on top of her empire, with bodies and ruins at her feet, of men and companies she has taken down along the way of her climb to the top. Yet, it all comes crumbling down eventually. And it did. James betrayal ran deep in her veins. She was left hurt, left to bleed out and exposed. She shared some of the biggest horrors of her past, and he will now use it against her. The weakness that no one was meant to know.

How stupid.

Letting her heart do the bidding for her life. She was smarter than that. Yet those ocean eyes looked deep into her soul and she reached for the depths of them. Just to drown in the end. She will have to swim for the shores that she cannot see. The ache in her heart was pressing against her chest. Lungs filled with smoke from a cigarette that dangled between her lips, while she stared at the soaking New York streets, from the safety of her office.

Petty little humans, getting on with their petty little lives. She envied their simplicity of life. Grow up, get a job, find a partner, grow a family and then die. Yet selected few have a darkness inside of them that must be fed.

How she longed to lay in his arms, take in the intoxicating smell of his being that she has grown so addicted to.

What heart wants doesn't get.

She will put a bullet between those mesmerising eyes. She'll watch as the ocean pours out of them with no life left. Her soul will go with him. The first and the last human, monster that she ever loved. Even if she never admitted that to him.

The battle of her thoughts was interrupted by the sound of her office door opening. Well put together Natasha walked in. The familiar sight of her laptop in one hand and the holder with two coffees in the other. Natasha placed the coffees on the dark wooden table and flopped herself onto the armchair.

''Sheesh this rain has me feeling all miserable''

Fallon grunted in response and stubbed out the cigarette in the ashtray. Ashes is the only thing that will remain after she is done in this world.

Natasha perked up again. ''I was thinking we should all go away somewhere warm. Like a big couples holiday''

Fallon took a sip of the hot bitter coffee, it scolded her throat as it went down. She welcomed the pain with open arms. Anything is better than the ache of her heart. Before Fallon could protest about the holiday Natasha continued.

''We can rent a villa! Big swimming pool, hot baths and sunshine to soak in.''

Fallon opened her mouth to speak, but Natasha wasn't finished.

''Ohh ohh, can go to all those trinket markets, and dinners on the beach'' She swayed like a school girl in love.

Natasha had a simple love. Her existence was not scarred by the darkness that surrounded her family name . A ray of sunshine parting the gloomy clouds.