33 A Potter Summer

Remus stayed at the Potters that summer. Ash didn't know this until he apparatus with Ash and her parents to their home.

Sirius had his own room at this point and just I'm case Regulus ever decided that he wanted to stay at the Potters they had made him a room as well. Right next to Ash's. It was the room Remus would be staying in.

On the first night back Ash woke up in a cold sweat. Something happened to Regulus. She couldn't sleep after that so she slunk down stairs in order to write him a letter.

Remus was already down there. He was sipping on a drink, probably water.

His back facing Ash. He looked like he was thinking. Ash wondered what he was thinking about.

"Can't sleep?"

Remus looks behind him with a start, "oh. Yeah it gets tough this close to a full moon."

"Can you get some letter writing stuff out? I'm gonna make hot chocolate."

"Yeah sure."

Remus does as he's told and watches Ash mix the hot chocolate.

"So... you like chocolate?" Remus asks.

"Yeah," Ash laughs.

"Why'd you say you hated it?"

"Cause you love it. Every time I said I didn't like it you would take it and... I wanted you to have more of what you love."

Remus blushes. That was really sweet of her.

"You didn't have to do that. I would've gladly shared..but thank you. I owe you a lifetime of chocolate."

"You know it's actually crazy what I used to do when I fancied you. Remember when I broke my arm? Or the book I wrote about you? Gosh the way I memorized your scars. It was insane."

"You did that?" Remus stared at her in disbelief. He hadn't noticed any of what she said. If he had would things be different? She liked him that much? He liked her that much as well. Would they have been together if he had known?

"I did," Ash laughs as if she were reminiscing in another life, "I even broke up with Fabian because he didn't make me feel the way you do. Not to mention Theo. The day we broke up was the day I realized I was in love with you. And then it all went wrong and I ended up with Finn instead. Oh well."

"I just-...I um-"

"I get it Remus. It's strange but it's over now. I eat chocolate, I don't draw out your scars on scrap pieces of paper, and I'm not breaking up with boyfriends for you now either. So we can go back to what we were. Friends," Ash smiles.

"But what if- yeah yeah that would be for the best," Remus nods slowly.

"Mhm, what do you think we'll do this summer?"

"Um the book. That you wrote. Can I read it."

Ash laughs at this.

"You already have. A few times if I remember correctly. You never connected Rumes to Remus or Lyn to Ashlyn?"

"That...I had no idea."

"Yeah I thought so. You can be so utterly dim at times. Wanna play cards?"

They played cards for the next hour until they were both yawning and straining to keep their eyes open.  Despite the jokes and the fun they had in that hour a dull feeling of sadness creeped up on Remus. Ash had been in love with him. Had.

"Aye that's my sister you slug worm!" James yanks Remus off of Ash.

It was early In the morning. They had originally been cuddling on the couch in the same position the had been playing cards in. In fact Ash still had her cards in her hand.