CHAPTER II

By the time we pull up at our street, Ncane is already waiting for us at the gate in her praying attire. She was also exiled by my grandparents for her spiritual gift. Can you believe it? Apparently my grandfather was a well known and influential pastor, so he couldn’t have a daughter with a child out of wedlock and another with a weird calling which made her roar like a lion out of the blue. My grandma, being the dotting submissive and supportive wife, she didn't question any of the old man's decisions. She just stood by him and made sure his decisions were upheld. It would never be me. You can't bring a child into this cruel world and then abandon her if she chooses to live her life not according to your plan. Parenthood does not come with an on and off switch. You can't choose when you wanna be a parent and when you don't want those responsibilities. Parents who abandon their kids should be arrested. There should be a law on that.

"You are done wrecking havoc?" Ncane asks as she climbs into the car next to me and I chuckle.
"I think I am, but I know the family will retaliate in order to clean Amos's name, sooner or later. Pity I am untouchable though." I shrug and she laughs.
"You are troublesome, child. One day it will catch up with you."
I grin. "Yeah, one day but not today. Every dog has its day and today was made especially for Amos. It was written in stars. I wish I could humiliate his stuck up wife in public but I won't lower myself to her level." I sit back and Ncane just chuckles.
"I wonder who you were trying to impress with that little speech." I give her a blank stare and we just break into laughter.

In a way, she also raised me. When I was thirteen, mom joined the navy. she served for three years and then moved on to the army where she served for two years. Then she went to the air force where she served for five years and also became a commander. When she decided to retire, she was appointed as the minister of the Defence and Military Veterans. In all those years, Ncane was here with me and mom made sure to spend all her free time with me. Before she went to the force, she built her own logistics empire. Her company has tons of trains, trucks and a few ships that deal with transportation of goods. She also built a clothing empire for me and I got to fully run it after I obtained my Fashion Management Diploma.

Ncane's spiritual journey was a very hard one. Her initial spiritual teacher was very powerful, but he also happened to be an abuser. He used to violate some of the initiates sexually. Ncane was forced to cut that journey short and as a result, she fell sick. After a month of her being bed ridden, we woke up to her missing. We went nuts and had to search the whole area for her. There was no trace of her. After we had reported her missing to the police, this weird traditional healer came home and told us that Ncane was continuing her spiritual journey. We were relieved that she was an old woman. Somehow, after Ncane's first experience with traditional teachers, we were never able to trust any male healer after that. A year came and went and halfway through the second year,  the healer came back and told us the amount of things we needed for Ncane's homecoming. Mom was doing well financially at that time, so she bought Ncane a cosy house in the township where she could practice without any interference. And then she bought everything that was required for the homecoming. Ever since that, she has been healing people and she has taken a few initiates under her wing.

When we get to the river, I take off my heels and head down the stream with Ncane. I quickly undress and step inside the river. She gets in besides me and starts cleansing me while praying. When she is done, we get off and she covers me with her white shawl as she burns the clothes I was wearing. We head back to the car and Pule drives us straight home. I won't lie, I am exhausted physically and emotionally. I know I just opened up a can of worms, but I just hope for peace. As Pule parks in the driveway, we climb off the car and head inside. I rush to my room to get dressed and head back downstairs only to bump into my stepfather in the bottom of the stairs. He doesn't say anything. He just engulfs me in a warm hug and I melt in his arms.

"You are brave, Thandokuhle and I am proud of you. Not everyone could've done what you did. Even your mother, aside from protecting her public image, couldn't do it. You have that fire in you and I believe you will conquer whatever that evil family will throw at you." His voice triggers something deep inside me but I swallow back the tears.
"Aww, daddy, you are going to make me tear up." I fake a sniff and he chuckles, breaking the hug.
"You are the worst daughter ever." I roll my eyes and we both laugh. We walk to the kitchen and I find my siblings there. Well my two step siblings, Mlekeleli who is 24, Nandipha who is 17 and my younger brother whom my mom and step daddy made a year into their marriage. He is 5 years old and his name is Malibongwe. He is such a cute troublemaker. I kiss his forehead and he sticks his tongue out.

"How was the funeral?" Mlekeleli asks, handing me a cup of coffee. He is a marketing director at dad's company and according to him, he is currently single but you can never really trust men.
"Thanks. Anyways, wasn't it broadcasted?"
"It was but we need to hear from your point of view." Nandipha responds, sliding next to me. She is doing grade 12 and wants to go study abroad next  year. She is very ambitious.
"It was like being surrounded by a bunch of fake people. Well I guess the Ntombela family is the fake one and other people felt genuine love for the deceased. This lady I was sitting next to had so much drama. At one point she told me to leave if I was there for food." both my step siblings laugh while dad shakes his head.
"I wish you could've allowed me to accompany you." Mle states.
"So that you would've stirred up some shit? No. I was fine on my own. I just hope I never have to deal with that family again."
"Mom is coming back today." Mali announces. I guess we are boring him with our talk.
"Yes, she is, son." Dad ruffles his head. We head over the lounge to give the chef space to prepare dinner. "Who wants to watch the Metro Awards?"
"I do. But I would've loved attending the live show." Nandipha mumbles and I chuckle. She knows very well why we couldn't attend the live show. We don't attend big events if mom is not there because when we show up in public, we should present unity, according to mom's publicist. That woman can be a narcissist but she is great her job.