CHAPTER XIX

A fashion show is a great way to launch your new clothing collection, especially if you have connections or associated with Fabs & Stitches. I remember organizing my first ever fashion show after mom had showed me the ropes with three previous shows. I was a nervous wreck. I was shouting at everyone and everything that was in my way when things seemed to be falling apart. I remember one of the senior designers calling me to her office and politely reprimanding me. Her advice and guidance really helped me and after that I was slightly getting the hang of things and managed not to lash out on the staff members every 10 seconds.

This is why I am not stressed by receiving a call from the office informing me about Justin's drama. I have organized over 10 fashion shows and I know the pressure that comes with wanting everything to be perfect. I was currently at a meeting with two of the executives from TUMI luggage. Some of Justin's work inspires vacation, so an added accessory by one of the most luxurious luggage brands in the world is a great marketing strategy. I head over to one of the studios and someone points me to where Justin is. He has locked himself in a bathroom stall. God. This is going to be a long day. I enter the restroom and lock it behind me.

"Justin, are you there? It's Thando, your boss." I announce and I am met with silence. "I know this might be a little awkward for you but can you please come out so that we can speak properly or you want us to chat like we are in Love Is Blind?"
A small chuckle comes from the stall and then he clears his throat. "I am kind of ashamed by my behaviour and I needed to calm down. That's why I am here."

"I understand the pressure you are in. This is a big deal. We were supposed to just get your clothes in the website, catalogues and shops but because of how talented you are, we thought by officially launching you in the presence of most fashion influential magazines, your clothes will reach a larger audience. If we knew how stressed this would make you, we would've waited for next year."

The stall opens and he rushes out. I knew my words would make him come out. He doesn't wanna cancel the show, he is just going through the motions right now. "I don't want that. Don't cancel the show. I am going to be fine. It's just that I feel bad for shouting at everyone. I am pretty sure they think I am a diva or something like that."
I chuckle. "They are used to it. Designers are the worst when preparing for fashion shows and for the fashion week. You just have to apologize to everyone for your behaviour because at the end of the day, they are humans and you are not more important than them."

He sighs. "I know. Thank you for your guidance and thank you once again for this opportunity. I promise, I won't let you down."
I nod. "Do you know TUMI luggage?" He nods with a frown. "There are some of your looks that are giving travelling vibes, so I thought that we could do a collaboration with them. Come, let me show you the looks that I am talking about."

I walk out of the bathroom and I am glad to hear his footsteps behind me. Sometimes being a boss means you have to be willing to forgive and put up with people's different behaviours and moods. If you are going to treat everyone the same way, then you lack some management skills.

***

"We have lost the fashion show's venue." Ginni states looking at her tablet. Her face is spotting the biggest frown ever. "Apparently it was reported to have bugs and it is closed down due to some fumigation shit. What do I do?"
"Do we have a plan B?" I ask. When planning an event, you should have at least 4 potential venues in mind just in case something like this occurs.

"The Genesis Garden but the weather can be very cruel and an outdoor event doesn't seem like a great idea. Next is the workshop. We can work things out there and maybe go for the vintage look. The decorators will see my vision."
"How about the arena opposite us? Can we get that?"

"Booking cost is R150 000 and you pay and additional R15 000 which is 10% of the booking fee if your event is less than a month away."
"Check its availability and offer them whatever amount they want. That venue aligns with Justin's theme and our company brand. Is Thaziba in?"
She nods. "She is currently in her office right now but she might be leaving for lunch soon."

"Okay. I am heading there now. I want her to design my dress for the show."
Her eyes pop out. "But Thando you said I should order that Valentino Dress. What am I supposed to do? Cancel the order?"
"You will wear it. I have a different vision for my outfit and I fear that an already made dress is not going to give me that. See you."

Thaziba is one of the most talented designers in F&S. Honestly I don't know why she hasn't gone independent yet. Her work is spectacular and she has made a name for herself. People can truly appreciate her work without including the F&S name. I get to her office and find her drinking something from a mug which I assume is coffee. Most designers are caffeine addicts, and then there is me who hates any hot beverage out there unless it's scotch. She looks up and scoffs.

"What do you want now?"
I laugh. "That's no way to greet your boss. Also, why are you grumpy? You are on your periods?" She rolls her eyes.
"Production on one of my new lingerie line stopped because we ran out of fabric and I have to go purchase it in Philippines before the week ends."
"Can't you just have it imported?"

She shakes her head. "It has to be hand picked and I also want some new fabrics that I have never used before. Maybe some inspiration might strike while I am there."
"Okay. Do you need the company jet?" She gives me a suspicious look and I snort. "Don't give me that look. This is company related and I also need lingerie for my honeymoon."

She laughs. "You getting married anytime soon? Lingawa licoshwe zinkukhu. (Basically translated to impossible or never gonna happen). Anyways, what brought you in here in the first place?"
"I want an extravagant outfit for the newbie's show and hear me out..."
She interrupts me. "But why? Valentino, Dior or Prada is surely waiting for your order. Why want to wear something original?" It's rare for me to wear something that is designed at F&S for a big show like this but that doesn't mean I don't wear it. Big emphasis on RARE.

I shrug. "I just feel like it. Unless you feel like you are going to fail me. In any case, I can go to any of the junior designers."
She scoffs. "You know very well that I am always up for the challenge even though you are giving me very little time to work. So what do you want, brat?" I grin and then start giving her details of my outfit.