CHAPTER XXXIII

We have to start to Zizile with this damages matter since she was Amos's legitimate wife, even though her dirty laundry is being aired on a daily basis. If it was someone else, they would've committed suicide, but that evil woman is resilient. When we get to her house, it takes a whole ten minutes before someone opens the gate for us. Why keep us away for that long as if we are here to pay lobola for one of her beloved daughters?

We walk inside and one of the helpers lead us to the lounge where we find half the Ntombela family there. That being the black widow herself, her princess Khwezi, the idiotic son Simo, uncle Mpande and Mnotho and aunt Zibondiwe. We only asked to speak to the uncles and Zizile. I don't know what the others are doing here. We sit down on the vacant chair. I am with Thobani. I couldn't bring Mahle and Sne because this is a very toxic environment and I don't want to expose them to Zizile's insults.

"You better start talking, kids. There is no one here to give you a warm welcome with fake hugs. So say whatever you ugly fucks came here to say and then leave us in peace." It doesn't take even five seconds for Zizile's claws to come out. This woman is always ready for a fight. Uphumasilwe straight.
"Funny how you married and gave birth to people who look like us but no one is pointing fingers, hey." I clap back and she growls as if she is seconds away from biting my head off. Shame. Pity she can't do anything.

"Thando, play nice." Thobani reprimands me and I chuckle before sitting back. She has a way of getting under my skin. "Anyways, I will just rip the Band-Aid. We need the Ntombela family to do a welcoming ceremony for us all illegitimate children of Amos and his grand children. We know that prolonging this process will only cause more harm than good. We don't want a huge ceremony, just a small one. Introduce us to the ancestors and throw a feast for the family and a few neighbours if you like."

Zizile laughs. Like a full blown evil laugh. This woman is definitely nuts. "Your exploitation knows no bounds. There is a reason why your father never did that ceremony while he was alive and I intend on carrying on with his words until the day I die. So no ceremony will be done for you bastards under my watch. I am Amos's legitimate wife and this can not be done without my permission. I will not allow it." She smirks while Simo chuckles.

"If you want us to beg, we won't. We don't give a flying fuck about the Ntombela surname. It has never brought us any good fortune in life, well except a few rands that has recently been added into our accounts. Your beloved ancestors are the ones who want us to bear the Ntombela surname legally. Fortunately if you fail to perform this ceremony, you will be the one to suffer and not us." I add my two cents advice and everyone turns to look at me.

"What are you on about?" Simo asks. Glad I got their attention. That was too easy.
"You have a family traditional healer, right? Someone you consult when things go south and you very well that western medicine won't help? Well contact them, put them on loud speaker and ask them what will happen to all your wealth if you refuse to do this ceremony for us." I respond with my most innocent smile ever.

Uncle Mnotho is the first one who carves and takes out his phone. He dials a number and puts it on loud speaker. After a few rings, the call is answered and whoever is on the other line growls weirdly. "Makhosi." Uncle Mnotho chants before the man can speak.
"Mahlobo, what can I do for you?" The man with a hoarse voice asks.
"My brother, Amos as you know, left a few illegitimate children behind and now they are saying we need to do a welcoming ceremony for them because if we don't, our new found wealth might perish." Is that sarcasm I sense in his voice?

Makhosi growls before he clicks his tongue. "I don't know why I bother with you Ntombela people. I told Amos to right his wrongs before he even left this planet and now he has suddenly became this holy ancestor who believes in righteousness. I hate people like him who don't listen. Anyways, as I have always told you all, even you Zizile, the Ntombela ancestors are not happy with you. You must do right by those kids. Perform this ceremony on Saturday and then go pay damages for each and every one of them. Luckily he left his livestock under your care. Now do what you have to do or else all that live stock will perish like it never existed."

Zibondiwe gasps. "Makhosi, that's not possible. There has to be a mistake here." Aibo, this woman. No one has included her in this conversation. I am just happy to see Zizile's facial expression. It's priceless. I wish I can take a picture.
"Your days are numbered, wena Zibondiwe. You should know better than to mess with things that don't concern you. Anyways, back to you, Ntombela family as a whole, especially Zizile, stop whatever murderous plans you have because if you don't, you will bury your children one by one until there is not a single one left. Nozizwe's accident should have been a wake up call. I will see you all on Friday." He ends the call. Damn that man is a straight talker and doesn't beat around the bush.

"I guess we have done what we came here to do. Uncle Mnotho, I will contact you on Thursday for directions and all. My family and I will probably book a lodge near your home because we don't trust someone not to send imikhovu to us while we are sleeping." My big brother is savage. He stands up and extends his hand to me. I take it and get up from the comfortable couch. I won't lie, I was seconds away from falling asleep.

"Good bye, family. See you soon. And please, lay off with the bounties on my head. As you can see, I'm unkillable." I make sure to look at Simo and Zibondiwe when I say that. I don't miss Zibondiwe's shock. Shame. Eat that, you evil bitch.

I am dreading coming back to discuss Thobani's traditional wedding because everything that involves the Ntombela family proves that we are going to have to work for it, even if it means working with the people who have attempted to murder us.

***

"So these people have tried to kill you more than once and you are saying you trust them enough to not try anything while you are at the bundus? I don't think I am hearing you right." Mathenji is such a character. I had to catch up with her before leaving for the bundus tomorrow and it's been so long since we sat down and had a normal chat.
"It's not that bad, bru, plus they haven't succeeded." I reply and she scoffs.
"Who are you trying to convince, Thando? These people don't care about you and some of them have nothing to lose. You coward of a father left you in this mess and you have to be careful how you handle everything."

"I thought you were the more carefree friend."
"Yeah, but I don't tempt with death because it is a fool that always gives in to temptation. Neither should you. Yes you have guards keeping you safe 24/7 but you have to be alert at all times. I wish I can go with you so that I can at least try to keep you safe. Will is so against the idea of you going, he doesn't even understand why you need to go." My heart melts at her concern. Even my former friend, the betrayer, never showed this amount of compassion and care towards me.

I chuckle at the mention of Will. The man even offered to go with me. He is insane, that one. "We are leaving tomorrow and that would be short notice for Nathan. Hell he would follow you to KZN if he knew the amount of danger you might be put in."
She rolls her eyes. "My husband is not crazy and I have been separated from him before. I once went to Lagos with my best friend to visit her home. KZN is only a few hours away. He won't be that anxious to follow me. So it's decided, I am coming with you. If you buy me enough booze, I might even become your private chef for the weekend."

I laugh at her suggestion but I am glad to have a friend like her. I mean who knew that a drunken night would end up with me bagging a loyal ride or die? Mathenji is the type of friend everyone needs in this world. Male or female. She will tell you straight to your face if you are wrong, encourage you to do something crazy and fight for you when the going gets tough. I think I love her.