CHAPTER VIII

"This is the Last Will and Testament of Amos Madoda Ntombela. I cancel all my previous will. I nominate Mr. Lindokuhle Mbatha to be the executor of my estate. Should he predecease me, I nominate Zimasa Emma Pina to be the executor of my estate. I hereby give my executor all the powers allowed by the law, including the power to appoint another person to assist with the administration (management and disposal) and distribution (handing out) of my estate. My executor is exempted giving security to the Master of the High Court in order to do his/her administrative duties. Before we proceed to the distribution of the estate, there is a video that my client left. Please direct your focus to the screen above me."

My God. People love money. The minute he started reading, everyone went silent. I wasn't listening to a word he said. I was just looking around the table. I also saw the ashy aunt and his daughter. I didn't hear a Miss Ntombela during the name checking though. Maybe she is Ntombi but I swear I heard mom say Zi.. something not so long ago.

"Good Day everyone and thank you for making it today." Oww, the screen. Amos looks terrible though. He looks like he is on his death bed. “I have done so many bad things in my life and I regret them. I have abandoned many of my kids and I have no actual reason for doing that. I am just a shitty person who deserves to go to hell. My son, Thobani, I am so sorry for what I did to you and your…” The big man is quick to get up from his chair.

“Fuck this shit!” He shouts and everyone looks at him. The lawyer pauses the video. “That asshole had all the time in the world to ask for my forgiveness and he took the cowardice way out. Now I have to listen to him say sorry and say he wished he could’ve done things differently whereas we all know that’s a lie. If he was given a do over in the life thing, he would’ve done the same shit he did to me and his other illegitimate children over and over again. I’m sorry, Mr. Mbatha but I’m not staying for this.” He takes a few steps and Amahle gets up.

“Bhuti please calm. We have made it this far. We have to see this through. 30 minutes and we are out of here.” She pleads and Thobani shakes his head. My heart breaks for him. I know first hand how cruel Amos was and I don’t care what people say about forgiveness and all but I will never forgive him.

I sigh and get up. I walk over to him and grab his hand. “Even if he did different things to us, I know your pain and I feel it. I am Thando. One thing that I can guarantee you is that no matter the outcome of this day, I will never forgive Amos. I will take my hatred of him to the grave and I won’t blame you if you do the same. Let’s just get this done and over with.” I turn to Mr. Mbatha. “Can we skip the apology part because I know it's not genuine.”

“I am sorry, Miss Myeni. But I am afraid I can’t do that. I know this is not pleasant for you but please calm down. This will be over soon enough.” I huff and turn to Thobani. Somehow I feel connected to him. I give him a pleading look and he finally calms down.

“I will sit down.” He squeezes my hand and then goes back to his place. I also go back to my chair and sit down.
“Can I proceed now?” Mr. Mbatha asks, looking at Thobani who nods. He resumes the video.

“mother was unforgivable. She was my first love and she gave me my first son. I should’ve done the right thing and married her but I was a coward. When I heard about her pregnancy I freaked out but that doesn’t forgive my actions. I am sorry. To Thandokuhle, I loved your mother so much. She made me feel whole and invisible. She was the first affair that I had in my marriage. There was just something different about her. My fear of responsibility got the better of me when I heard about the pregnancy. My behaviour is inexcusable so is the treatment you had to endure from me. I am sorry Thando. I was there on your graduation day, hiding in the crowd like a coward that I am. I was there on the first fashion show that you put together. You reminded me of my elder sister. You have that passion and grace radiating from you. I hope it never fades. Amahle and Snethemba. I love you both and I am sorry for everything. I don’t pray for your forgiveness because I don’t want you to feel compelled to forgive my terrible actions.

“To all my children from Zizile, I hope you will grow to love and accept your siblings. Don’t let anyone turn you against them. Give them time to come to terms with their new reality. Nozizwe, I know how you love anyone that you’re related to. Don’t crowd them too much. Give them time. Once they learn about the real you, they will love you like I do.” The girl who looks awfully like me sniffs. I think we are even the same height and weight. She could be mistaken for my twin.

“Mpande and Babu Mnotho, I trust you to take care of my farms and livestock back home. I know you won’t disappoint me. Ntombengcwele, I am sure you are wondering why you are here. Out of everyone in my family, you are the one who showed unconditional love and care for my daughter, Andiswa. You have loved her since day one and I have no doubt that she will grow to be an amazing woman under your care. Which is why I have given you primary custody over her. Sethulo, you were more than just my personal bodyguard. You were my confidante and my closest friend. I believe it would’ve been selfish of me not to leave you anything. Thank you for always being there for me even in my darkest times. Nikiwe, I still remember our last conversation when you told me you forgave me. When I bumped into you, I was shocked. After everything I have done to you, you still had found it in your heart to forgive me. Your loved ones are lucky to have you in their lives. Zizile, I won’t blame you for some things that you did to my illegitimate children, I somehow enabled you and I know you will never accept them. I just hope that you be civil towards them.” He clears his throat.

“Mr. Mbatha you remember one of my conditions. I have divided my estate exactly the way I see fit. If anyone tried to harm or kill my illegitimate children and Nikiwe, Ntombi and Sethulo, they will be stripped of their inheritance and be thrown to jail. The person who I chose to lead the Ntombela empire has shown great qualities of being a leader and I trust them wholeheartedly. I hope you respect them and follow them because they will lead you to success.” The video ends. Thobani or Simo? I wonder who got the heir title.