CHAPTER III

By the time mom comes to my room, I am already under covers and reviewing some designer's portfolio who wishes to showcase her work in our store and have us sell some of her clothes. She is really talented and her style is unique. It is giving me runway vibes. Which gives me an idea. We should do a fashion show to launch her before putting her merchandize in our stores. That way, people will know about her clothes and come in numbers to buy them and order them online.

"Sthandwa sami." She calls out, sitting on the edge of the bed. I place my tablet on the beside table and turn to look at her. She holds out her hands and I place mine in them. "What you did today, Thandokuhle Myeni, You cleared my name. I never thought I would feel this relieved to have the truth out there about what actually went down between that animal and me. And thank you for not disclosing some of the information. I know you did it for yourself, but thank you."
I smile. "Well I didn't want to be on Dineo's hit list, so I had to keep it PG." Dineo is my mom's publicist. Truth is Amos has terrorized mom more times than I can count. It's one of the reasons we had to relocate. This one time he showed up at our house drunk and demanding sex, spewing shit about his wife. What's worse was that when I came into view he said 'Get that thing away from me.' Yeah. I am glad he is dead.

"I don't care what anyone will say, but you cleared my name, baby. You made me a real woman today. No amount of training and titles could rewrite the past but somehow you managed to do that in a few paragraphs. You are brave and courageous. You should really think about doing things that will require you to speak publicly." I laugh. Instead of laughing with me, mom wipes the tears that are falling from her eyes. I stop laughing and just look at her. "Don't mind me. Those tears have been waiting for a long time to come out. So" she clears her throat. "Since what you did today was more about me than you, what do you want in return? Any gift and it's yours."
I look at her and then start grinning. She sighs. She knows that she is already going to regret this. I am a twenty seven year old who still demands drastic gifts because, believe it or not, I wasn't born into luxury. I have suffered before, so I deserve to be pampered every once in a while.
"I am going to regret this, aren't I?"
I shrug, smirking at her. "I want a week vacation to Riga. One official call a day for the whole week. Just the Phakathi and Myeni family out and about."
She scoffs. "You are impossible, do you know that?" I giggle childishly and she carves. "Fine. I will get Abongwe to set up everything. Now rest. We might have to address the media tomorrow about your public stunt."
"I am sure Dineo already has a speech in hand." She laughs.
"That she does." She kisses my forehead and then heads out.

Someone may be wondering why I still live with my parents at my age. I mean I am more than financially stable and I am capable of taking care of myself. But truth is, I love my mom. Ever since she took some interest into the defence department, I hardly saw her. It became worse when she became the minister. So staying at home allows me to see her whenever she is around. I don't need to set up meaningless brunches just to catch up with her. What can I say? I spent all 27 years of my life with this woman. It's only fair that I am this attached to her, right? A mama's girl. That's what I am.
+++
'Babe, I am not feeling the stunt you pulled at your father's funeral  yesterday. That was not cool and I don't think I can be involved with you at this moment. Can we not see each other until this blows over? But I love you.'
That is the text I wake up to this morning. I guess that's what I get for dating or rather going out with the deputy president's son. What the fuck? What a spineless piece of shit? You know what, I am not going to entertain his ass or even think about this message. I am just going to tune out anything that is related to Alexander Moore. You can't actually expect a white dude to understand what it feels like to be an outcast and an illegitimate child.

After getting ready for the day, I have breakfast with my family before mom informs me that I am actually trending. Well no kidding. It's not like I didn't anticipate this. I am not the blending type of kid. I like standing out. So mom further tells me about this press conference Dineo set up in order to clear up any rumours. Twitter is already having a field day with me, but I am glad to discover that at least 70% of the people there are on my side. That's positive, in some way. But you can't trust the people on that Blue bird app. They can switch sides faster than you can say Favourite.