CHAPTER XVII

I am not a cruel person. I never was one even in the past. I always believed in the spirit of Ubuntu. I love uniting people and supporting them the way they support me. I don't understand the notion of the PULL HER DOWN syndrome. I really don't. Instead of asking the person for some advice or guidance, you would rather tarnish their reputation just so they can go back to suffering just like you? It's crazy. But that's the world we live in. Fortunately my mother didn't raise me like that. Which is why I asked Lindo, the lawyer, to forward me contact details of my siblings. I have invited them out for lunch today. I just wanna get to know them. Yes, I also invited Simo and Khwezi. I am not petty.

Speaking of my older sister, she just barges in to my office without invitation. She is dressed in a mini black backless dress with black strappy heels, a huge dramatic hat and a bag. I guess this is her mourning attire. I would compliment her fashion sense if she was on her way to a dinner date or something. I am not judging but that's now how you dress up, especially soon after you have lost your precious daddy.

I quickly finish the call that I am on. "Dj Zinhle, someone just walked into my office, so I guess I will have to call you back, but doll please clear up your schedule for my date. I promise I will personally dress you up."
She laughs. "Ow Thando. You are always a smooth talker. Fine I will be there on your show. To play and see your new collection. A collaboration with ERA in your future show wouldn’t hurt."
I chuckle. "Our biggest designer, Lukhele, is preparing his spring collection and he needs a jewelry that will pair well with his designs. I will make sure to recommend you. Anyways, make sure to bring your husband. Bye." I end the call and stare at my sister. "Is there something I can help you with, Khwezi?"

She places her bag on the table and looks around the office, scowling at whatever she is seeing. "You have horrible taste in decor. Seeing that you were so quick to take on your position, I would've thought you were going to have the decor changed overnight."
I chuckle and stand up. I am not going to let her look down on me while I am sitting down. I am not threatened by her but judging from her tone, she is not here to build a relationship, so I will give her the attitude she is giving me. "There is no rush, dear sister. This is, after all, my company. I can redecorate anytime I want. For now I am just choosing to focus on the more important things, such as actually running the company. But I don't expect you to understand that becuase you have never owned a company this big or even a tuckshop in your life."

She steps closer to me. "Watch your tone, bitch. You might have been lucky, inheriting this, but you are also replacable, so I would watch my tone if I were you."
I laugh. For real, I actually laugh. My sister is so amusing. "I am not Khulekani, Khwezi. You can't push me around and expect me to cower away at the sound of your empty threats. I don't give a fuck about this empire that your father built. I wish I could transfer it to someone else whom I trust to run this company properly, but I can't because that's one of your father's stupid conditions. NO TRANSFERING OF INHERITANCE. So you are stuck with me forever. You better get used to it or don't. I don't care. But don't ever come barging into my office like that again. Just because you own 5% or is it 1% of the company doesn't give you the right to do as you please. Now you may leave with your dignity still in tact." I take my phone and dial another number, when I look up, I see that she hasn't moved a single inch. She is just standing there, looking like an angry lioness ready to attack.

"This is not over. Your day is coming because every fuckin dog has its day."
"That's where you are wrong. I am not a dog, I am a wolf, the alpha one, and I run this show. So you better get on with the program and get the fuck out of my face." I give her an intense look and she scowls before walking out. "Oww Khwezi one more thing." She stops but doesn't turn around. "Watch your words. If I feel somehow threatened by your lousy words, you do know that will mean bye bye R50 million and holiday home, right? You can go now, little one." Shame. Poor daddy's princess.

***

I am the first one to arrive at the restaurant because a good host is always punctual. Don't listen to those real housewives who are always late even when they are hosting. I make sure everything is in order before sitting and waiting for my dearest siblings. Amahle and Sne are the first ones to come and they are also a bit early. We exchange greetings and they are handed complimentary drinks before they sit down.

"How is being millionaires treating you guys?" I ask and they both laugh.
"I forget you reached the millionaire stage long ago." Amahle teases and we all laugh. "Well I have invested R60 million in numerous banks all over the world just so I don't find myself crying when that one bank I invested in decides to close. I wanna do something charitable with R10 million and then maybe buy a cosy house suitable for me and a car that doesn't scream I am a millionaire. I don't wanna attract fake friends and swindler." She was right about being a genuise. If it was someone else, they would already be painting the town red and making it known that they have money.

"What kind of business do you intend on starting with that R5 million Amos gave you?"
"I am interested in film making but I know I will need some qualifications for that. Instead I am thinking of starting an agency for young and upcoming artists and singers. I am not starting a record label, they will still be independent if they want to but I will provide them with financial support and exposure, in return, I will get maybe 30% of the profits they make in their gigs or albums sold. I don't know. I am thinking of getting someone to advice me on that."

Sne chirps in. "This is totally a great idea. I have friends who are artists and I know how they have been exploited by record labels or some event organizers and promoters, saying they will give them the world but just end up using them and throwing them in the bin when they are done. So I support your cause, sister. I just hope you don't get killed for that." Amahle smiles.

"We hope we are not late." Nozizwe enters dragging Sizwele and Mthobisi. I smile and stand up to hug my almost twin. I am shocked when Mthobisi pulls me into a hug. Sizwele also has no choice but to hug me or it will be awkward. "I hope you haven't started the festivities without us." Nozizwe seems like a very bubbly person and if she is not full of shit, I might get along just fine with her. They all sit down and they are served drinks.

"I think the oldies aren't coming." Sne states, sipping on his champagne. I am not even phased by their absence. After my fall out with Khwezi, I knew she wasn't going to come. Simo, well I took him out like a chess piece, so I understand his dislike towards me. I guess Senzo is too loyal to his older brother but no worries there.

"We can order if you haven't yet." Nozizwe states and I smile.
"They have set up a buffet for everyone on the terrace. So if we are all here, we can head over there." I signal for a waiter and she comes quickly. "You can lead us to the terrace, love." She smiles.
"This way please." We all stand up.

"OMG! I missed it, didn't I? The damn Uber driver got the address wrong." A little voice startles me. I turn to see Aneliswa walking towards us in a school uniform. She is currently doing grade 10 while Mthobisi is doing grade 12 and Sizwele is doing his first year in college. I heard that Senzo wants to go to the police academy, that's why he isn't studying towards any qualification.

"You didn't miss anything little one." Sizwele side hugs her. "We are on our way to the table."
She smiles and then looks at me. "Hey. Sorry I am late. School. I am sure you understand." I chuckle and nod. We get to the terrace and settle to our table which is filled with lots of food. It's like a feast. I don't even know where to start. But I do know that today is officially my cheat day.

We start eating and getting to know each other. My other siblings seem like really cool people. At first Sizwele is uncomfortable but he ends up letting go and just chatting and laughing like everyone else that is on the table. I am glad I got to make this get together with my siblings. I am not even disappointed about the ones that didn't make it. Those who came to my luncheon are what matters and I hope they are not wolves in sheep skin. When we are done, we head over to the parking lot. I end up inviting them to the upcoming fashion show and Aneliswa coerces me into buying her an outfit for that day. Kids are manipulative, no matter the age. But I don't mind. I have always wished for a little sister who I can dress up. Maybe she might get along with Nandipha.