Chapter 1

**Vision Dream**

Lincoln stared at his mother, baffled, "You did what?"

"We sold all your furniture," Rita said.

"Why did you do that?" Lincoln asked.

"Because it was tainted with bad luck! But don't worry, your clothes and mattress are still there," Rita said like it was no big deal.

"Good job, sport. You really aren't bad luck," Lynn Sr said.

Lincoln started to take off of the suit, but Lynn stopped him.

"No, no, no! You gotta keep that on," Lynn said.

"Why?" Lincoln asked in a stern tone.

"Because it's good luck! You take that thing off; something bad will happen, like bad luck!" Lynn stated.

"Oh, you're right! Like vanzilla could break down," Lynn Sr agreed.

"Or I could lose a beauty pageant!" Lola hollered.

"Or I could lose my tools," Lana added.

"Or my makeup could go bad, and I could get a rash!" Leni added.

The whole time they were going on and on about it, Lincoln felt a hole in his chest filling him with dread and hopelessness. He stared at them shaking his head.

"What is wrong with you people?" Lincoln uttered.

They all stopped and turned to him.

"Do you hear yourselves right now? You're not making a lick of sense. You all sound crazy!" Lincoln shouted.

Everyone frowned.

"Lincoln, don't take that tone with us!" Lynn Sr. scolded.

"Yeah, Stinkin, I won this game because you wore that costume suit! So you gotta keep it on for the rest of us," Lynn stated as everyone nodded with agreement.

"So, I have to wear this stupid suit from now on?" Lincoln questioned.

"I'm sorry, son, but we just can't risk the bad luck," Lynn Sr said.

"So it's all about you guys now?" Lincoln asked.

Lori scoffed and rolled her eyes, "You're being selfish. That is so you."

Everyone agreed and ridiculed Lincoln with commentary making him feel like he was nothing. Like he was not one of them.

"So . . . that's the way it is? It's this or . . . I can't live in my own house?" Lincoln questioned in a serious tone.

"I'm sorry, son, but we just can't risk the bad luck spreading," Rita replied in a casual tone.

Lincoln's eyes twitched and watered. Then he looked away while nodding. It was clear to him now. The writing was on the wall. At that moment, Lincoln felt numb with dread. He took the squirrel costume off.

"Lincoln! What are you doing? Come on! We need the good luck," Lynn said.

Lincoln ignored her as if she and the rest of the family weren't even there. Once he was out of it, he began to walk away.

"Lincoln Loud! You put that suit back on, mister! We need the good luck," Rita ordered.

Lincoln stopped and turned to face her, "No . . . Rita, I'm not putting that thing on."

Her eyes, as well as the rest of the family's eyes, widened when he called his mother by her first name.

"I'm not putting that damn thing on ever again. I'm done trying to put some sense into you people. I'm done trying to reason with you people. It's clear that I don't belong here. You don't want me here anymore . . . because you don't love me anymore. I'm not your son anymore. I'm not your brother anymore. To you, I'm just an object. A luck trinket. If that's the way it is now, then I quit," Lincoln explained.