Chapter 20

When morning came, Lincoln felt like he was in the lion's den. His eyes kept scanning the room and at his sisters. He was ready to dash out the back door in a heartbeat or grab something to use as a weapon. He kept his distance and didn't breathe a word to anyone. This didn't go unnoticed by his sisters. However, they were busy discussing their activities.

As Lincoln and his sisters left the kitchen, their mother called out, "Lincoln! Lana!"

Lincoln's heart jumped before he looked over his shoulder. Lana turned around with her arms crossed. She was standing with her husband. All the other Loud sisters stopped and watched.

Rita started, "Lincoln honey, we know that we haven't exactly displayed the most ideal parenting. Which is why you said you don't like who we are, and the truth is—"

She turned to her husband, and Lynn Sr. continued, "The truth is we've let you down. So, we were hoping you'd give us a chance to reconnect. Maybe the four of us can go to Dairyland together this weekend."

Lincoln and Lana glanced at each other. Lana kept her arms crossed.

"I don't know," Lana spoke weakly.

"Lana, please. All we're asking is a chance," Rita pleaded.

"You two hurt me. I wasn't just attacked. My life was in danger, and Lincoln is the only reason why I'm still alive. You could have done something, Dad . . . but you didn't. You know, sometimes at night . . . I get nightmares of what would have happened if Lincoln didn't save me. I've seen what alligators and crocodiles do to their prey . . . and that day, that could have been me," Lana explained.

Lynn Sr. was on the verge of crying. Rita forced herself to stay strong.

"And you have no idea how grateful we are that it didn't come to that. The thought of losing one of my babies," Rita paused and closed to resist crying as she choked up, "I don't know what I'd do."

Lincoln turned away while rolling his eyes.

'Give me a fucking break, Mom. If we're so important to you, why are you so willing to side with superstition and not believe your own goddamn son when he tells the truth that he's not bad luck? Or how about when your 'babies' are fighting? Where are you and Dad to put your foot down and end it? Instead, it's a goddamn free-for-all during their stupid protocol,' Lincoln thought to himself.

"Lately, I feel that we're more distant from each other, and we shouldn't be. We're family. So, how about we do something fun together and continue to work on how to spend more time together," Rita proposed.

"Please, we're begging you. Just one chance to make things right, that's all we're asking," Lynn Sr. begged.

Lana looked back at Lincoln and glanced at all the other sisters. Some looked unsure, while others, like Lori, nodded to encourage them to give their parents a chance.

"I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go. Okay, let's do it," Lana said.

"Great. In fact, why don't we all go?" Lynn Sr. proposed.

The rest of the Loud sisters either shrugged or smiled at the opportunity. However, Rita noticed that Lincoln still didn't give his answer.

"Lincoln? How about it, honey?" Rita asked.

All eyes were on him. Lincoln remained silent for a few moments.

"Yeah, sure," Lincoln muttered, "Who doesn't Dairyland?"

"So, it's a date then?" Rita smiled.