Chapter 12

Meanwhile, Present Lincoln asked for someone to hose him off to get all the alligator blood and mud removed. The ride home was ungodly quiet and uncomfortable. Lincoln kept an arm around Lana's shoulder to hold her close. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying, while Lincoln looked exhausted – wiped out like he ran a marathon. Lincoln stared out into the window, watching everything pass by him. What was supposed to be a fun evening turned into something else entirely.

When they got home, it was similar to when Lincoln saved Leni's life from the runaway truck. All the sisters dashed over to squeeze Lincoln and Lana bear hugs and smothered their faces with kisses. Lola was balling like a baby with waterfall tears as she held her twin sister, while Leni, Luna, and Luan couldn't hold back their tears as they held Lincoln. None of them cared that he was shirtless. Lincoln took some comfort in being in the arms of his sisters. Sometimes he wished the world would just stop and let him be in this forever.

"Are you two okay? Tell me you're okay!" Leni exclaimed.

"We're fine," Lana answered.

"We're okay," Lincoln said.

"You were amazing, Lincoln! You saved Lana!" Lynn praised.

"I know, Lynn. I was there," Lincoln replied while rubbing his eyes.

"You look terrible, though. Lori, is it possible to have Lincoln take a day off from school? I got a feeling these two need some long rest," Lynn suggested.

"I don't see why not, especially after today," Lori answered.

However, as soon as the father entered the house, all the sisters turned to him, and they had confused looks as he looked sad and guilty. They turned to Lana and saw her giving him a death glare. Lincoln still had his eyes closed, relishing the warm feeling his sisters were holding him.

"Wait, what's going on? Lana, why are you looking at Dad like that?" Lori asked.

Lincoln cleared his throat before speaking, "When that bull gator broke, and Lana tried to get away . . . she called out to Dad for help, and he . . . he—"

"He did what?" Luna asked.

"He did nothing!" Lana screamed.

Everyone turned to her wide-eyed.

"I was screaming for help. I saw him see me . . . he didn't do anything to help me! He just sat cowering on top of a truck while I almost got eaten by a big bull gator! Lincoln saved my life because he actually did something . . . and Dad did nothing!" Lana said with tears in her eyes as she hung onto Lincoln.

The rest of the Loud sisters were shocked and mortified as they turned to their father. The younger sisters' eyes were wide, their mouths uttering as they looked at Lynn Sr. like he was a murderer. The older sisters slowly grew death glares as they clenched their fists and grinded their teeth. Lynn Sr. had a fearful expression on his face as he sweated pinballs.

He started, "Girls, wait. Just let me explain—"

"You monster!" Lori yelled, throwing a lamp at him.

Lynn Sr. ducked while covering himself. The lamp shattered on his shoulder. Rita came rushing in from the kitchen.

"Lori L. Loud! What are you doing?" Rita exclaimed.

"Dad almost let Lana get eaten by an alligator!" Lori shouted.

"Lincoln and Lana told us everything! Lana was screaming for help, and Dad just sat on top of a truck and did nothing!" Luna jabbed angrily.

Lynn Sr. whimpered with his eyes watering. Rita got in between her husband and her children with her arms out to protect him.

"Whoa! Kids! Calm down. That's no way to treat your father!" Rita stated.