Chapter 29

**Lynn's Nightmare (Part 3)**

Lynn waited and waited in the dark, cold night with only the howling wind and the creaking sound of the swaying tree branches to fill in the silent void. She shivered as she tried to warm herself by rubbing her arms, but it did little good. Then she noticed thick fog formulating on the ground, and slowly, a pale light shined in the near distance. Lynn looked at the light to see a standing shadow shaped like a hooded man above the thick, cloudy floor fog. It was as if she was looking at the Grim Reaper without his scythe.

"Are you-are you the spirit that Blaine said could come?" Lynn asked.

The shadow nodded.

"Then you're the Ghost of the Future, aren't you?"

The shadow nodded again.

Lynn stood up and took a few steps toward him, "You're going to show me things that haven't happened but will happen, right? If that's true, then I don't understand. Lincoln already showed me and my sisters what would have happened. Are you just going to show me the other things he didn't, or what?"

The Ghost didn't answer her question. He merely stood menacingly as if flexing his arms and muscles. Lynn could see that the Ghost of the Future was not a skinny, cloaked creature but a man – a big, tall, strong man. The way he stood with his arms flexing and his fists clenching was the same way a man would murder someone with their bare hands. Under the hood, the Ghost opened his eyes, and there were two glaring daggers of white light. Lynn got a sudden cold rush of fear, driving goosebumps up her spine as she backed away. The feeling was worse than the feeling of standing on thin ice cracking or standing at a really tall height and you just looked down.

"You scare me more than anything I've seen," Lynn spoke.

The shadow Ghost said nothing but relaxed his arms and gestured as if saying, 'Don't be afraid.'

"I'll see whatever you want to show me. Are you going to say anything?" Lynn asked, but the Ghost remained silent, "Fine, lead on. Let's get this over with."

The Ghost raised an arm and pointed in a particular direction. Lynn walked in the direction that the shadow was pointing. As Lynn walked, she found herself in a dark fog but continued to press on. Then it started to clear, and she saw that it was the road in her neighborhood. As soon as she recognized it, she ran for home. When she arrived, she saw Lincoln with a megaphone asking to be let in, but her family refused. Lynn's blood boiled when she saw herself talk about the whole luck thing and when her family told Lincoln to step away from the house.

Lynn growled with steam coming out of her ears. She ran to the front door and pounded on it with her fists, yelling in a furious tone, "Hey! Open the door!! OPEN THE GODDAMN DOOR AND LET HIM IN!!!"

Lynn pounded on the door more and tried to kick it, but it wouldn't budge. She hit the door so hard with her fists that they bled, and she yelled so hard her throat hurt.

"You maggots, open this goddamn door right now, or I'll kill you!! Do you hear me?! I'LL SET THE HOUSE ON FIRE AND BURN YOU OUT!!!"

Despite her efforts, it didn't matter. They could not hear her, for these were only visions. Illusions. Lynn turned around to see Lincoln walking away with his head down. His sorrowful face and the tears streaming down his face were like knives in Lynn's heart. She watched him walk all the way to Ronnie Anne's house. What followed was about what she expected. Lincoln told her and her family everything that happened. They called the cops and came to see Lincoln as he explained everything.

Lynn watched as the police arrived at her house. She was in awe of how she and her family acted like nothing had happened. They were planning a trip to the beach with smiles on their faces . . . and they just abandoned their son and brother. Lynn was so disgusted and ashamed that she felt like throwing up.