Chapter 23

"WHAT?!!" Rita yelled.

As predicted, their parents didn't take the reason Lincoln ran away from home very well. Both parents had furious facial expressions, which were enough to make the Loud sisters nervous. Some of the girls glanced at Lincoln and gave the slightest reassuring nod telling him they won't breathe a word of his powers.

"Is all this true?" Lynn Sr. asked.

Lori nodded with her head down in shame, "Yes, unfortunately."

"My son, your brother, is in the hospital because he got hit by a car after he ran away from home because you scared him with your Sister Fight Protocol?!" Rita questioned.

The girls nodded.

"And this all started over a dress? A stupid dress?!" Lynn Sr. demanded.

"We didn't know that we bought the same dress, and we didn't know that we would be that upset over it. We're really sorry," Leni said.

Rita and Lynn Sr. looked at them wide-eyed like they were crazy.

"Sorry? That's all you got to say? Sorry? Do you think 'sorry' makes up for anything right now? Are you sorry? Do you even know what you girls are sorry for? Because your sorry doesn't do a damn bit of good because your one and only brother is in the hospital! He's here because he was in fear for his life! Because of you! Because of all of you! And all you've got to say for yourselves is sorry?!" Rita yelled.

"But we are! Mom, we feel awful about this!" Luna protested.

"You should be! You should know that you're all grounded for this!" Lynn Sr. barked.

"That's it. From now on, your 'Sister Fight Protocol' is over. Whenever you girls get into a fight over something, you come to us, and we'll handle it, and no matter how much you disagree with it, you will do as we say and take your punishment without backtalk," Rita ordered.

"Yes, Mom," the girls all said with their hands hanging in shame.

"And no shopping until further notice. All of your activities will be suspended until we say otherwise. Consider working to pay off your brother's medical bills as a start! And when we return home, you'll face the rest of your punishment," Lynn Sr stated.

The girls all nodded. Rita approached Lincoln, who was still lying in bed with Lynn Sr. at the foot of the bed.

"Lincoln, what were you thinking? Do you know what could have happened to you out there?" Rita questioned.

"That's the thing, Mom. I wasn't thinking . . . because I was too afraid to think straight. That tends to happen when you think your life is in danger," Lincoln replied.

He instantly regretted saying that after seeing the look on his sisters' faces. It was like someone they loved just yelled, 'I HATE YOU!!' to them.

"Lincoln, why didn't you come to us? We're your parents. We would have done something about it. If something's wrong, if you feel unsafe, you come to us, honey," Rita said clearly.

At that moment, Lincoln could feel all the anger and frustration boil deep within him. He was sick and tired of being fed with lie after lie after lie. All the visions showed him that their words were empty promises, and he felt he could no longer put up with them.

"Why? You're asking me why? Why I didn't come to you?" Lincoln asked.

Rita started. "Yes, sweetie. That's what we—"