Chapter 4 | A Couple of Runaways

You watched as the girl struggled to get out of Dally's grip, wanting to intervene but you sat still. You and Pony looked at each other, then Johnny and Pony, then you and Johnny. Suddenly Johnny stood up, "Look leave her alone Dal." Johnny said as Dally came to a rest.

"What'd you say?" Dally responded. 

"Come on your heard me, leave her alone." Johnny said again swallowing hard. "What'd you say to me you little sh**? What'd you say to me?" Dally repeated (yes we're bleeping). "Come on..." Johnny repeated as well. "Wise a**." Dally said disappointed sitting back. Then he got up sharply  leaving again. He glared at the girls, then Pony, then you, then Johnny. He walked away slowly as you all watched him, except Cherry. She just sighed.

"Why don't you guys move up here?" Said the girl with short hair, "The boys could be like our bodyguards." She giggled. You mocked in a annoyed manner as you followed Johnny down the left side of the steps as he shook his head and grinned at you. 

Once you sat down in front you could see the light shining on both the girls faces. With this you could easily see one that the two girls were Cherry and Marcia, two girls from the cheer team you were once on. Hanging around some of the greasers you picked up a few bad habits and got yourself kicked off the team. It didn't matter, you were more into dance anyways.

"How old are y'all?" Asked Marcia. "16." Johnny said. "15." Pony replied. You didn't say a word. No one seemed to notice anyways. "I thought you both were 14-" "16" Cherry butted in. They all talked for a while, but you didn't say a word the whole time. You noticed Cherry looking at you a couple times but still you didn't plan on talking unless someone spoke to you directly.

It was only when you shouted a bit when Twobit came behind you and Johnny trying to scare you. You all talked a little bit until Pony and Cherry excused themselves to go get popcorn. You watched as he walked off with her, your chest burning a bit at the whole interaction that's been happening for the past 15 minutes.

When the movie was over you, Twobit, Johnny, Ponyboy, Marcia, and Cherry walked out of the lot. You were listening to Cherry and Ponyboy's conversation.

"You never talk about your oldest brother, what's he like?" She asks him.

"He's the toughest and roofs houses what else is there to talk about really?" Pony replied taking a drag on his cigarette. "Well is he wild and reckless like Soda, or dreamy like you?" She asked him. You rolled your eyes and waited for Pony's response.

"He ain't like Soda and he sure ain't like me!" Pony responds sounding upset. You listened to him ramble, "I know he can't stand me! I bet he wishes he could stick me in a boys home but Soda woudn't let him." He finished. 

"What are on about Ponyboy?" Twobit spoke.

"Come on you all get along just fine." Johnny chimed in before being cut off by Ponyboy. "No we don't! And you can just shut your trap cause you ain't wanted at home either!" Pony shouted. You could've damn well slapped that boy across the face right then and there. Pony wouldn't have took it to heart anyways, he knows you'd never hurt him unless he was in the wrong.

"You shut your trap kid!" Twobit yelled at Ponyboy. "I'm sorry Johnny, I got a little mad." Pony said facing Johnny. "Don't worry about it." Johnny said kicking some rocks. You patted Johnny on the back hoping he wouldn't take what Pony said to heart. 

"Marcia...look who's coming..." Cherry said as a blue Mustang shining it's bright lights behind you pulled up. A guy with curly blonde hair had hopped out the car so quickly you made sure to move Johnny further back towards Twobit.

"CHERRY! What are you doing? Just because I got a little drunk doesn't mean..." he started before Cherry interrupted, "A LITTLE? You call reeling and passing out on the streets a little?!" She shouted. "Bob I told you I'm never going out with you when you're drinking and I mean it!"

"That's no reason to go walking with these bums." The other guy had said.

"Who you calling a bum?" Twobit shouted at him. "You that's who." He said pushing past us to get to Twobit. "We got two more of us in the back seat." The guy continued. Twobit picked up a bottle and hit it against the gate shattering it into a sharp object and handing it to Ponyboy. You reached to your back pocket where your switchblade and pepper spray was. You grabbed the pepper spray since the situation wasn't too bad at the moment.

"Pity the backseat." Twobit said popping out his 10 inch switchblade. You noticed Johnny flinching so you stood beside him. The two went at it as Johnny looked back at this Bob character. He had his back faced towards him like he didn't want him to recognize Johnny. You stared dead at Bob, he looked back and glared. 

"Stop! I hate fighting!" Cherry interrupted. She ran over to Pony and talked to him but you were still staring at Bob who was drinking out of a silver flask. When Pony had finished she had said one more thing that caught your attention, "I never want to see that Dallas Winston again. If I do I might...I might just fall in love with him." And with that she took off surprisingly waving at you and Johnny. It didn't matter, you hope she knew she wouldn't have a chance with Dally after she humiliated him with the soda to his face.

After going to Johnny's house to find his parents fighting you guys had decided to go to the lot, Twobit had went on about his business. You guys built a fire in the lot to get warm. You had all got comfortable on the benches and talked about the Greasers and Socs. Johnny had cried in your arms after you hugged him. He had a lot going on with his folks and his home and getting jumped. You had fell asleep listening to him and Pony ramble. 

You don't remember much, just Johnny waking up you and Pony after what seemed like hours later. The park was dark, the fire had went out, and it was really windy.

"What time is it?" Pony asked him. 

"I don't know I went to sleep too." Johnny said quietly trying to keep you tired so you wouldn't get cranky. "You bets get home Pony, you know Darry will be waiting for you. I'm going to stay, nobody will care." "Me too Pony." You slurred rubbing your eyes. "Alright, but if you two get cold come to my house." "Alright, Pony." Johnny responded.

"What is Darry gonna say..." Pony said before taking off back to his house. You were sleepy but didn't close your just eyes just yet. "Pony's gonna be in a lot of trouble isn't he Johnny?" You asked him as he turned to face you. "Maybe..." he responded. The wind hit you in the face causing you to sniffle as Johnny did the same. "Maybe we should go to the Curtis's house Johnny." You said to him. "Why, you getting cold?" He asked placing some more newspapers on you. You got closer to Johnny hoping you could produce enough body heat to keep warm. Johnny had opened his mouth after about 2 minutes, "Hey y/n?" He asked. "Yea Johnny?" "About earlier, you know at the movies when-"

Johnny never got to finish because Pony had come rushing back to the bench to tug on you and Johnny. "C'mon y/n and Johnny, we're running away." Pony said then took off with Johnny right behind him.

"But-" you started, but it was no use. You got up and took after the two boys into the dark night (or morning cause it's 2am). 

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀