Chapter 9 | Stop, Drop, and Roll

You guys watched in shock as the church began to slowly fall apart due to the outrageous fire spreading. "Wonder how that happened." You and Pony said unanimously. Dally pulled up closer to the fire before Ponyboy jumped out and approached the church.

"Hey get back here!" Dally shouted as you and Johnny joined in on shouting. 

"Ponyboy Curtis! Get back in the car right now!" You shouted loudly as he continued to ignore all of you. And as if it couldn't get any worse, the screams inside the church got louder and Ponyboy took off towards it. 

"PONY!" You cried standing up in the car, desperately trying to get his attention, "DON'T BE STUPID!". You looked down to see Johnny climbing over the car seat to get Ponyboy. "What the hell! It's like nobody uses there heads anymore." You said hopping out of the car while Dally as expected shouted.

You ran past a man who had tried to convince Johnny and Pony to stay, shouting at them to get back but he took no action himself.

You ran up to Ponyboy and Johnny who were trying to kick down the locked door. You heard the crying children as you quickly looked around, picked up a boulder you spotted, and threw it through a window. 

From there you three made your way inside the church, all the way to the back where a little girl stood crying. "Is that guy coming?" Pony asked as we ran through. "Nope." You said looking back for a moment. "How come? He's too scared huh?" Pony shouted. "Nah man, too fat." Johnny said. Any other time you might've let out a quick chuckle but it was no laughing matter. Besides calling people fat never really tugged you a smile.

"Hang on I got you." Johnny said picking up the small girl. You guys were going to head all the way back to the window, before Dally had kicked down another window that was closer. Johnny ran to Dally and passed over the girl to him as he sat her outside safely. 

Soon enough you were able to round up all the kids into one area where Dally had opened another window. You were all coughing and passing the kids to Dally who got them on the ground safely but kept shouting at the rest of you to get out.

Once you did you three tried to get out but the roof was collapsing and you were all lost in the dust. At least Johnny was. "Johnny?! Johnny!" You shouted but he was on the floor after screaming. It seemed a part of the roof had hit him. Ponyboy had been pulled out of the window by Dally and then he pulled you out next. 

"He's on fire! God help us." You shouted as you and Dally managed to put out the fire that had caught on Ponyboy's jacket who was now unconscious. All because he tried to save Johnny. Johnny...who was still inside the burning church. You quickly turned around and tried to enter the window again before getting a blast of smoke in your face that entered your lungs so quick, if a doctor had seen them they would've assumed you smoked 40 a day.

You fell back on the ground coughing like crazy and your eyes watering badly. "Y/n!" Dally shouted as you completely laid on your back. 'Must...get...Johnny...' you thought as Dally climbed in through the window, the last thing you saw before it went completely dark.

...

You listened to Ponyboy talking to the man who was at the church earlier in the ambulance. You were taking slow deep breaths through the breathing tube you supposed the doctors gave to you. You had woken up a few minutes before him confused but if there was one thing you remembered, it was Dally jumping in to save Johnny. His screams still rang loudly in your ears.

When you guys had finally got the hospital the doctors checked you and Ponyboy out and said you were good to go after giving you an oxygen mask for a couple minutes. They had also prescribed ointment for any burns you two might've had. 

You sat next to Pony who was smoking a cigarette as the older man next to him told it wasn't good for him. Pony turned his attention back to you, "You ok y/n?" He asked as you looked at him but didn't respond. You hadn't spoken since the fire accident, you were too worried to. You knew Ponyboy was ok, now what about Dally and Johnny?

And as if your prayers had been answered, Dally had been rolled out in a bed passing by you and Ponyboy. "If you ever pull a stunt like that again, I'll kill you!" He said pointing to Ponyboy the whole way down the hallway. Pony sighed and slouched back before you both heard a familiar voice, "Ponyboy?" You both looked up to see Sodapop standing in the hallway.

Pony quickly got up as you watched them reunite. Darry had come out too and apologized to Ponyboy hugging him, "I thought we lost you like we lost mom and dad." Darry said crying, you'd never seen Darry cry before. Once they all hugged they looked back at you who was faking a smile and holding back tears. 

"Y/n...come on over here." Soda said as you slowly got up, and when he and Darry hugged you it was like you erupted. Your eyes overflowed with tears as you sniffled and wiped your eyes. They helped you feel somewhat better once again and when it was all over you got in the car with the Curtis brothers.

You had a lot on your mind the whole ride there, the case, the church, Dally but if anything tugged at you the most, it was about Johnny's health and safety. Eventually you and Ponyboy fell into a heavy sleep in the car, so heavy that you didn't even wake up to realize Sodapop was carrying you back into the house, as Darry carried Ponyboy.