All's Well That Ends Well (Bonus Chapter)

The setting was crystal clear. Beautiful golden skies filled with separating clouds of all shapes and sizes. The shaking of tall trees, silent enough to hear the leaves whispers. The colors of green fading in the grass as it continues on. This was deemed the perfect weather. Birds filling the sky with with chirps and sounds. The very faded sounds of cars and drivers in the distance. The sunset shown so bright, it could be shared between any matching souls.

A 23 year old version of yourself sat down on the plaided red picnic over spread across the green grass, placed there a by a 22 year old Ponyboy. You sat next to him quietly not saying a word as he did the same. His hand slowly crawled over to meet yours, his wedding band reflecting a bright glimpse of the sun as your matching one did the same.

You both took a long gaze at each other before taking a deep breath. Once again in synchronization, you both let the breath out. When you were ready, you opened your eyes. There laid in front of you, two matching stones with the words: "In loving memory of Johnny Cade 1949 - 1965" and "Here lies Dallas Winston 1948 - 1965"

This wasn't your first sight of these tomb stones, as unfortunate as it was. You and Ponyboy had come back here every year for the past 4 years. This was the exact day 7 years ago Johnny passed away in the hospital, and Dallas was fatally shot. 

It took who knows how long for you to visit them at first. You remember the days you couldn't even bring yourself to it. Ponyboy was the only one you could rely on.

You looked over at your newly wedded husband. He looked up at the sky causing the sunset to shine directly on him. For a moment he looked just as he did that one day 7 years ago when he read Gone With the Wind on your hideout from the cops. 

You'd ended up marrying Ponyboy after what seemed like years of confusion. It all sort of made sense though. You both were there for each other the whole way. From childhood to the whole Soc vs Greaser situation. 

Ponyboy helped you keep your life together, especially when you were slipping away from yourself. After Johnny and Dallas's passing you felt like there was nothing left to do with yourself. Sometimes you were fine, but most you were still dwelling in the past. Thus increasing the amount cigarettes you smoked a day.

This caused the boys to worry about you tremendously. However Ponyboy seemed to care the most. Not like the other boys wouldn't protect you with their lives, cause they would. Ponyboy just took everything they gave you, combined it, and tripled it.

Ponyboy was there when you were in a life crisis. When you didn't realize how much of a toll Johnny and Dally's passing took on your life. 

When you turned 16 and had a unhealthy obsession with weed, and got caught up in the wrong crowd of people. Nobody could convince you to pull yourself out like Ponyboy did. 

When you flew into a crippling depression so bad that you didn't eat, or sleep for 6 days straight. It would've been a whole week too if it weren't for Ponyboy.

Ponyboy was so perfect for you, and the gang knew it but  they also knew you weren't ready to move on from Johnny. So you felt some type of way when Pony confessed to you. You could've sworn it was meant to be you and Johnny, and maybe it would've been had it been for the whole situation in the first place. 

And maybe you'll never know how the situation happened, or who's fault it was. Maybe it was your fault for agreeing to go to the movies with Dally that night. Maybe it was Dally's fault for messing around and associating himself with Cherry in the first place. Maybe it was Cherry's fault for hanging out with Greasers. Maybe it was Two-Bit's fault for flirting with a Soc. Maybe it was Ponyboy's fault for sleeping over late. Or Johnny's fault for resorting to a switch blade.

The blame could go on for ages but there was no point, it's all said and done.

Ponyboy helped you a bunch but it was never one sided. You did just as much for him as he did for you. 

Years ago when Ponyboy tried to talk to Cherry but she'd blow him off during school, he'd come home extremely upset. You knew you were no Sherri Valence but you were more than enough support for him. 

And although Pony didn't show it often like you did, he was affected by the unfortunate change to the gang too. And even though you were just as hurt, you had to be of assistance to him just as he was too you.

You helped each other out of the rut you were stuck in. And through the journey you felt something between you and him. Something you hadn't felt since that one moment you shared on the night of Johnny's death. You were so happy with Ponyboy, and you had no one to thank for that but Johnny. And no not because of his death, but because Johnny brought something out in you that made you feel different about others. He was your assigned angel. 

You and Ponyboy stared at Dallas's gravestone. Ponyboy read his quote out loud "Loving, risky, and brave man who's last words consisted of the names of his friends." You remember when Darry had told you that Dally's last words were yours, Ponyboy's, and Johnny's before you had passed out.

You looked over at Johnny's and read his in your head: "I love you. Stay gold." For Johnny's last words, he was able to get his last words for you and Ponyboy. 

Unknowingly a tear slide down your cheek. Pony looked at you with concern, "Babe, are you ok?" He asked. You nodded as a slow, sweet, smile graced your face, and just like a domino effect one spread to Ponyboy's too.

"I guess Johnny really was the one that got away..."

...

I have no idea if I truly like this ending or not but honestly I did my best to make it bittersweet.

 I hoped you enjoyed this series though! I already have a new one in mind, but I'm also going to try to focus on uploading to my head cannons more as well. 

Have a good day/night! :>