Chapter 13 | Make Amends

"What?" Pony simply asked still reopening the pack. 

"I said hand me a cigarette Pon." You said like you had no control of what you were talking about.

"Don't worry, she won't do it." Twobit whispered under his breath as Pony handed you a cigarette, sounding a bit worried if anything. You knew the boys were watching like they're eyes were glued to you as you flipped out a lighter from your pocket. The only reason you had one was for protection, never a smoke.

They watched as you flipped out your lighter with a snap, lit your cigarette, and took a long drag on it. Yup, still disgusting. You knew it was because one time you mother had left hers lying on a counter once when you were seven, and you were mighty curious. You had never coughed so much in your entire life. And in school you learned the consequences of smoking so you promised to never break that promise. Until today. Where you exhaled smoke from your mouth.

 You looked at Twobit who seemed somewhat disturbed. 

You looked over at Ponyboy who was squinting his eyes as if he was trying to read you. He knew why you were doing this though, Ponyboy knows everything about you.

You looked over at Dally. He always teased you and said the day you finally had one he'd be proud. But right now he didn't seem all too pleased. No one should. It was all too depressing. You looked at Dally still, you could see the gears turning in his head before he opened his mouth to speak, "How is he? How's Johnny doing man?" Dally finally asked.

You took another drag (still gross) and looked down, trying to hide the very visible frown forming on your face. Johnny has just passed out of exhaustion in front of your eyes all because he jumped into a burning church to save some kids from burning alive. Maybe the cigarette was soothing you a lot more because by now you would've been hyperventilating.

"Look Dal I don't know about stuff like this but uh...he wasn't looking too well man." Twobit said as you and Pony looked at each other. Johnny was your best friend, the guy that kept you and Ponyboy together without you even being aware of it. Dally didn't look to happy. He whispered curses under his breath as he laid back down on his bed.

"Still got that knife Twobit?" Dally asked him. Twobit seemed confused but pulled out his 10 inch switchblade. Twobit's most prized possession, his pride and joy. But he'd give it to Dally, he was practically the reason he had it. 

Two handed him the balde as Dally turned around with it. You had to admit, you were terrified of what he was gonna do. With Dally there is is no limit. "We gotta get EVEN with those Socs man." Dally raised his voice before quickly stabbing his pillow. You all watched and listened. 

"Let's do it for Johnny man. For Johnny!"

... 

You sat next to Pony on the bench while Twobit stood up. You were waiting for a bus.  

You sighed and leaned your head on Ponyboy who stopped moving so you could get comfortable. You had noticed before you did that Ponyboy looked a little pale. A little sick even. 

"You ok Pony?" Twobit said placing his hand on Pony's head checking for his temperature almost as if he'd read your thoughts, "Boy you feel kind of warm." 

"I'm fine. Just be a pal and don't Darry ok?" Pony replied adjusting you to his liking. "I'll just take a bunch of asprins when I get home." He continued. 

"Alright but Darry will kill me if he finds out that I went ahead and let you fight anyway." 

"Then keep your trap shut and don't tell him." Pony clearly wasn't feeling bad enough to let go of that sour mouth.