Chapter 16 | Can't I Catch A Break?

You shook clenching onto your jacket as you and Pony wandered the dark and lonesome streets, searching for a way home. You both had no idea where you were but it never crossed your minds because Johnny was dead. Johnny was gone. Gone.

You felt hysterical for a moment. You wern't  taking the news all too well. Had Johnny died and someone told you maybe you wouldn't be ready to jump in front of a car. But you had to watch him suffer and die right in front of your face.

Ponyboy didn't seem to be taking it too well either. Actually his reaction kind of scared you. He didn't look miserable. He didn't look sad, he didn't look angry, or frustrated, or confused. Just normal. His best friend had died in front of him and he had no look of sadness on his face at all. Not that you wanted him to be sad, it just seemed like a normal reaction.

After wandering for what felt like hours, you two had been picked up on the side of the road by a young man who seemed to be in his twenties. 

"Do you two kids need a ride?" He asked. You and Pony looked at each other and communicated without talking, 'We've got nothing to loose now.'

You both climbed into the backseat and stayed quiet. 

"You kids alright!? You been in a fight? I hate to scare you kiddo but your bleeding on my seat." The man said to Pony.

"I am? Sorry sir." He said as the man shook his head. "It's alright...what's your address? I am not dropping two beat up kids somewhere on the side of the road." The man replied.

Pony gave him the address and right after you both went quiet again. You looked out the window at the moving car lights then back at Pony who was looking at you.

"You good Pony? You ok with...Johnny's death." You almost threw up at the words. You quickly bit your tongue. 

"I'm fine. Johnny's not dead y/n." Pony said blankly before staring out his window. You shivered a little at Ponyboy's comment, but you knew he was still in shock. What a weird and tragic night this was turning out to be. 

...

You and Pony trudged through the door of the Curtis's house. You were met with the boys who weren't partying or being happy like they were before. Almost as if they felt empty.

"Where you guys been?" Darry asked cleaning the blood from his hand. He had gotten a nasty bite. In fact all the guys looked pretty badly beaten in one place or another.

When you and Ponyboy didn't answer Darry, he stood up to meet you both. "What's wrong? What happened?" He asked. You shook your head and squinted your eyes trying to avoid crying. "Johnny's dead." You said, immediately sobbing after finishing your sentence. Darry looked at you shocked and so did Sodapop, and Steve. 

Darry looked at Ponyboy who nodded, "Johnny can't be dead." He said taking you by the arm over to the rest of the guys. The guys stayed silent but hurt filled their faces. Sodapop made a wincing noise and Steve and Darry looked as if they had a hard time processing this sudden news, like you did.

You heard Twobit say something and everything else anyone said seemed like a blur to you. 

"Pony you ok? You look sick." Darry started, putting his hand on Ponyboy but he pulled away. "I'm fine, don't worry." He said. The boys all started chatting a bit but Pony was looking at you who looked absolutely broken-hearted. 

"Want a cigarette?" Pony teased trying to bring comic relief. "Kinda." You tried to laugh. It went quiet again. "Come on." Pony said grabbing you by the hand. He took you to the front porch of the house, but not in front of the door, so the boys couldn't see you.