Chapter 15 | The End of Our Era

You watched the streets and lights rush by in the back of the car Dally was using to drive you, Ponyboy, and himself to the hospital. It was Buck's car. 

You listened to Ponyboy's heavy breathing and you felt bad for him. But you were so focused on how you would get to see Johnny again in a few minutes, and get to hear him again. 

Dally continued driving ( recklessly at that) before hearing sirens and seeing flashing lights behind him. 

You rolled your eyes and groaned, "You've got to be kidding me." You said as Dally pulled over to the side walk. "You two act sick. I'll pretend like I'm taking you to the hospital." Dally said as Ponyboy slumped back in the passenger seat. 

'We are going to the hospital' you thought but figured it wasn't the best time to have a smart mouth. So you laid down on your back and held onto your stomach. 

Once you did the cop got off his motorcycle and approached Dally. "You've got to have a good reason to be driving like that son." The cop said shining his flashlight in the car over your face as you groaned. 

"Yeah these kids man, they we're playing around and fell of their motorcycle. I'm taking them to the hospital." Dally said doing his best to sound concerned, although he was very concerned already. 

"Is it bad? The girl seems to be bleeding pretty bad." The cop asked as you unnoticeably cocked your eyebrows. "Yeah so is the boy. How should I know I'm not a doctor man." Dally said trying rush. "Follow me." Dally nodded as the cop hoped back on his motorcycle. "Sucker." Dally half laughed.

As Dally followed him you thought about what the cop said. You checked your face. Ears? Fine. Chin? A little scratched up but nothing too big. Nose? A little sore but not as bad as Ponys. Eyes? Fine. Mouth? Bloody. Your lip was busted. It was numb, that's why you didn't feel it. So what you had a busted lip, a little bruise, and a couple scratches. Big deal. The cop should've been more worried about Ponyboy than you. He looked bad. 

"Man," Dally started as he glanced at you and Pony, "I was crazy you know that kid?" Dally asked as you and Pony looked at him. "Crazy for wanting Johnny to stay out of trouble." Your emotion automatically shifted. 

"If he were smart like me, he wouldn't have been in this mess," Dally went on, "If he were smart like me, he wouldn't have ran into that church." Dally was becoming heated. Or maybe he already was and he's just now showing it. Had he not been following the cops right now you'd all probably be swerving all up and down Oklahoma.

"You'd better wise up Ponyman. You too Y/N." Pony cocked a brow at Dally the best way he could. "You get tough like me and you don't get hurt! Watch out for yourself man, and nothing can- TOUCH you." Dally said then pounding his steering wheel leaving a small dent. 

You saw a look on Dally's face that night that you would never, ever forget. Sorrow. Regret. Visible pain. He'd never shown it before. Until Johnny came into the conversation. He deeply cared about Johnny. Safe to say, more than he did himself.

...

You and Dally carried Ponyboy through the hospital as he hung onto your shoulders for support. 

When you arrived at Johnny's door a nurse was standing outside of it. "Let us in we need to see Johnny man." Dally said to her. "I can't let you in." She replied shaking her head. "Lady please! You don't understand! I need to see Johnny!" You almost pleaded. Great. This whole situation has torn you down from a chooser to a beggar. Anything for Johnny. "I can't, he's dying." The nurse replied.

You could almost feel the blood drain from your face. Dying?! Dally had enough. He pulled out his switchblade. "I'm not kidding man, I need to see Johnny." He pointed it at her. 

She was silent for a moment, "I'm going to let you see him, not because of the knife, but because you're his friends." She said as she moved and Dally put away the blade.

Once you entered his room you ran up to him. He was faced up and his arms look badly burned. He had a breathing tube and his eyes were closed. 

"Johnny!" You said by his side as he barely opened his eyes. "Hey...y/n...I lov..." "Shh Johnny, rest." You chuckled softly but nervously as you so very softly pressed your lips on top of his, careful not to hurt him. He tried to grin as best as he could. 

"Hey Johnny, we beat the Socs. We beat them! Chases them right out of our neighborhood." Dally said to Johnny as Pony limped over next to you. Pony looked...disturbed. "It's useless...fighting ain't no good." Johnny replied.

"You know they're still writing editorials about you in the paper? About how you're a hero." Dally said as Johnny once again tried to smile again. 

"Doll, c'mere...?" Johnny asked you leaned towards him. "I love you." He said as you felt your eyes water a little. "I love you too Johnnycake." You laughed wiping your eyes. 

"Ponyboy...?" Johnny said as Pony leaned his head down to meet his. "Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold." And just like that, Johnny faced his head back up and died. He just died. Stopped breathing almost on the spot. 

"Johnny..." your voice started trembling. Your hands started shaking again like they had on that one night of Bob's murder. "No no no no...this isn't real." You whispered to yourself, staring at Johnny('s body) it becoming blurrier as your tears blocked your vision. 

You looked up at Ponyboy who was crying. Then at Dally who looked scared more than ever. "Johnny come on." Dally said staring at him. "So this is what you get for helping people huh? Punk. Come on Johnny...wake up." Dally said his voice shaking as well.

"Johnny wake up." You started as Johnny just lied there. "Wake up Johnny DAMN IT!" You cried as Johnny just laid silently. It was over. Everything. Your  life was over. At least you wanted it to be. The boy you grew up with almost your whole life. The first Greaser you'd ever met. The first non judge mental person you'd run across. The one who you could share similar background stories with. The one you ran to every time your mother raised a finger at you. The one you'd spend multiple nights away from home with. The boy who introduced you to the gang as a young girl. The reason you were still alive. The one you stuck beside forever. He was gone. 

You couldn't process it all. You didn't want to. If you did you might've just jumped in front of a speeding car on your way back home.

Dally had left the room. But not without a scene. There was no telling what he was going to do next but you and Ponyboy decided it was probably best to get home, with or without a ride from Dally.