Chapter 6 | Getaways

Still shaking you knocked on the door to Buck's house, red light emitting from the windows. Once Buck opened the door he looked us up and down, "What do you kids want?" He asked us. "Dally." You replied straight faced. "He's busy." Buck responded. "Man tell him it's Johnny, Y/n, and Pony, he'll come," Johnny said then looking back at Ponyboy who didn't say a word. Buck sighed and closed the door. Once he did you, Johnny, and Pony ran to the window. You saw a bunch of girls a guys playing games, drinking, and dancing. No sign of Dally though. And when you did see Buck pushing Dally to the door you all ran back.

"What do you guys want?" Dally asked opening the door. Dally was shirtless, not like you haven't see him that way before. Still it made you react every time. Although you were still scared and shaking you looked down at the ground trying to hide your red face. Dally must've noticed cause he grinned. 

"Johnny killed a Soc!" Pony bursted out. "Man what?" Dally asked calmly. "All right good for you, let's go." Dally said about to invite you three in. "I'm sorry Dal I didn't mean to drag you away from your party and all. I just figured if anyone could help us out it was you." "Nah man I was...I was just trying to get some sleep. I got in a fight with Shepard tonight." Dally said grabbing Johnny and pulling him inside "Let me see what I can do about this mess, get in here." Dally said pulling you and Ponyboy in next.

"Pony are you wet?" Dally asked Pony as he closed the door behind you. "Yeah I'm fine." Pony said to him. We followed Dally upstairs his room not before Pony accidentally wondered off. When you got in, you, Johnny, and Pony all sat down on his bed. Dally had Pony take off his wet shirt as he looked for him a new one. 

"Man I wish I had me a weed now." Johnny said looking over at Pony, he didn't bother to look at you knowing you didn't have one. When Dally had turned around he revealed a gun and gave it to Johnny. "Don't point it at me will ya? It's loaded." Dally said searching around his room. He then gave his attention back to Johnny to hand him another item, "Here's 50 bucks man." Dally said handing him the money.

He turned his attention over to Ponyboy, "Look I'm not gonna be the one tell Darry and get my head kicked in." Dally said. "Then don't tell him!" Pony cried. Dally handed Pony a shirt, "Here' it's Bucks, it might be a little big on you but it'll work." He said as Pony put on the shirt. 

You peeled of the wet sleeve from you shoulder before it slapped back on you, "What about me Dally? I might not be drenched like Pony but my shirt's still damp. And I think I accidentally left my jacket on the bench." You said as he gritted his teeth. "Yeah about that, there's nothing I could find for you to wear. Nothing a lady like you should be wearing anyway." You saw Dally about to hand you his jacket before Johnny cleared his throat. 

"You can wear my jacket y/n." Johnny said quietly. "Oh Johnny I couldn't-" "I don't mind, you can just wear it until your dried off anyway." He said taking of his jacket. "Thanks Johnny." You smiled at him placing the jean jacket on. "Alright but don't come crying back to me if you freeze out there Johnny." Dally told him putting his jacket back down. "That also means you have to keep the gun on you while you have the jacket." Dally said to you as you nodded.

He gathered you three together and began talking, and he looked serious.

"Get the 3.15 train to Windeixville, it's a freight." He took a long drag on his cigarette, "There's an old abandoned church on top of Jay mountain, get there before the story gets out. There's a pump in the back so don't worry about water. When you get there buy a weeks supply of food." He took another inhale. "And then don't do so much as to even stick your noses out the door, you understand?" He said as you and Johnny nodded. "I'll be up there when I think everything's cool alright?" He asked specifically looking at Ponyboy who didn't say a word. "Relax buddy, c'mon it'll work out." He said shaking Ponyboy in a joking manner.

"Thanks Dally..." you said as you, Pony, Johnny, and Dally walked back downstairs. "Ay no problem man, doll I mean." He said correcting himself as you all headed out the door. Dally watched as you all took off into the night.

You guys waited on the tracks until the conductors of the train turned their backs. When they did you all hopped onto one of the train trailers and helped each other up. You all peeked out of the door of the trailer before hearing the steps of the conductors approaching with their flashlights. Luckily you and Johnny had pulled Pony back in, in time before they caught him.  

Once they left you all sat down and took a deep breath. Soon enough the train started to move and you all sat back and relaxed the best you could. Eventually Ponyboy fell asleep, leaning on your shoulder. Meanwhile Johnny had been fidgeting with the pistol that Dally had given him. You could tell he was nervous, and you had wanted to stay awake in case Johnny had accidentally pulled the trigger.

You looked at him for a while. It was so dark that you didn't realize that Johnny was staring at you back until a quick light came shining through.

"You good y/n?" He asked you as you sighed. "Yea as good as you can while being on the run from a murder case." You chuckled nervously. It went a quiet again, you could hear Pony's soft snores. "We'll figure this out y/n, don't worry about it." He said taking your hand. You remembered what the girl at the theater had said earlier, you didn't care. "I should be the one telling you that Johnny, I- I guess I'm just nervous." You said. "That would be a first." Johnny chuckled as you punched him playfully. You heard him shifting closer to you.

 "We'll get through this Johnny..." you said slowly dozing off as you pulled him closer to you. "I promise you."