Chapter 18 | Hearing and Listening Part 1.

Apologies for the long wait! School has started back...

You were sitting in court on the left of Ponyboy, Darry and Soda sitting on the right of him. You were fidgeting like crazy with your hands, a manner you must've picked up from Johnny Cade himself, the whole reason you were in court. Who knew Johnny'd kill someone and not even be able to show to his own case. Maybe it was for a reason. They'd probably separate him from his mother anyway. He'd be put in a home. You might've never seen him again. No different from now. At least he'd be alive and well. 

The court was a lot less of a big deal than you expected. It was only you, the Curtis brothers, Cherry Valence and her parents, Randy and his parents, and the other Socs who helped jump you three that treacherous night. 

You sat up fidgeting with your fingers, cracking your knuckles, and bouncing your leg just waiting for the judge to call on you. Your mom wasn't at your case, neither were your siblings. You felt unsupported but it didn't surprise you. And it was quite obvious to anyone in the room that you were no Curtis. 

You and Ponyboy were told by Darry to wait your turn to speak every time. You would get your turn soon enough. 

Randy went first, he seemed nervous. Then the other Socs went. All of their sides of the story sounded somewhat the same, they stuck to the truth, mostly. 

Then Cherry told what had happened before you'd been jumped. She cried a bit but she stayed strong, he voice not quivering once. 

Once she had sat down you figured it was Ponyboy's turn to speak but the judge had called on you instead. You stood up as he spoke to you:

"Y/N L/N correct?" He asked. "Yes sir." You spoke, your voice cracking already. Maybe Cherry had done this before, she was a pro compared to you.

"Where are your parents miss Y/N?" The judge asked as you squirmed a bit. "Erm, they're not- she's not- I don't know...right now sir." You murmured. The judge hummed a bit. You looked back at Darry and Sodapop. Darry sucking his teeth, and Soda was trying hard to put a smile on your face with the one that was already on his.

When the judge started speaking again you expected to get berated or ridiculed but instead he asked you about things like school and grades and friends. You were shocked when he told you that you were good and it was Ponyboy's turn.

He asked Pony the same type of questions, school, and grades, even girls. And just like that he told you both that you were acquitted, and Darry was a liable guardian. It was over. Faster than it began. 

The Curtis boys were celebrating as they exited the court room. When you all came down the stairs outside it felt free. Like you had nothing to worry about anymore, except for Johnny and Dally of course, you'd always remember them but you had to move on eventually. Maybe you just had to learn how.

...

After the hearing you all exited the courthouse, feeling a lot better than you did when you entered. People hugging each other, Darry and Soda seemed closer than ever, and Ponyboy mingling with Cherry.

You smiled a barely visible smile before sighing and sitting on the stairs, waiting for the boys to be done talking so you could go back home. 

You go into deep thought remembering Johnny, the reason why you were in court in the first place. He didn't even get to show up to his own case. You thought about his last words as you looked up into the bright blue sky, praying that maybe Johnny himself was looking down on you. Praying that maybe he could forgive you for the way you acted over the years.

"Y/N!" Your thought we're interrupted by a familiar voice. You looked up to see your little sister, Coraline running towards you, your older sister Kimberly behind her.