Chapter 12 | Get Well Soon

You, Twobit, and Ponyboy made your way into Johnny's hospital room after you gave the nurse a hard enough time to finally let you in. You were more determined to see Johnny over anything or anyone else. 

"Johnny!" You said walking over to the side oh him. He laid face down on one of those chairs with holes for faces at the bottom, and a mirror so he could see who was talking him even though he knew your voice anywhere.

"Hey y/n. Hey guys." Johnny said groggily as you tried to smile. You'd been missing Johnny so much. 

"How they treating you kiddo?" Two said, Johnny didn't respond. It was alright, he looked like her was in immense pain anyway.

"Look they have your picture in the paper, for being a hero an all." Twobit said taking his newspaper and placing it under Johnny's chair so he could see it.

"Yea, that's tough enough huh?" Johnny said smiling as best he could. This gave you a bit of hope, he wasn't too torn down.

"Want anything Johnny?" Twobit asked putting away the paper. "A book man." Johnny replied. You looked over at Pony who seemed to understand as well. "I think he wants a copy of Gone With The Wind, so I can read it to him." Pony said to Two.

"I saw a gift shop downstairs I'm gonna go get one." Two said to you both before hurriedly speeding out the door. 

You and Pony sat down next to Johnny. You watched him as you caught a glimpse of him watching you in the mirror. 

"So I guess Dal's gonna be ok," Pony started to make conversation, "And me and Darry...we get along real good now!" 

Pony was interrupted by Johnny making a distraught noise. "Johnny you ok!?" You and Pony asked him as he sighed. "Oh yeah, it just hurts sometimes." Johnny replied. It was quiet for a moment.

"Y/n?" Johnny asked. "Yes Johnny?" You replied to him. "Are you...embarrassed to be seen with...me?" He asked as your eyes widened.

"No! Johnny I- why would you think that?! Do I make you feel that way? If so I am so sor-"

"No it's ok...you don't but why did the girl at the theater..." Johnny had to speak only a couple words at a time, "Bother you...so much?" He asked.

"I don't know Johnny," you started as Pony looked at you almost frowning, "Maybe it's the teasing, maybe it's the rumors and gossip. Maybe I felt a little too pushed to be with you and it made me uncomfortable. Maybe it blocked me from realizing Johnny, we're supposed to be together. And I realize that now. Nothing and no one can make ever stop me from loving you ever again." You said as the room went silent.

"Y/N?" Johnny asked.

"Yes Johnny?" You replied.

"You love me?" Johnny said smiling almost sounding drunk. 

"Of course I do Johnnycake. And if I could crawl down there and kiss you I promise you I would." You teased him but you meant it. Pony half smiled still he looked upset. "You ok Pony?" You and Johnny asked him, grinning at each other a bit when you did. "Yea man, I'm fine." Pony said looking down shaking his head a bit.

Johnny made the painful noise again. You could only listen in horror and comfort him. 

"I'm ok just a little hurt. It usually don't though cause I can't feel anything below the middle of my back. Pretty bad off ain't I guys?" Johnny said as you and Pony almost cried. "No you ain't, your gonna be ok kid. You gotta be we won't get along with ya."  Pony replied trying to keep himself together. 

"I won't able to walk again." Johnny said. "What? No Johnny that ain't true." You replied in denial. "Not even on crutches, the doc said I busted my back." 

"You know something Pony and Y/N?" Johnny started as you both listened with open ears, "I used to talk about killing my self all the time, now I don't want to die. I'm only sixteen there's so much I haven't done yet. You know when we was up in Windrixville that was the only time I ever been away from my neighborhood?"

You felt your hands shaking uncontrollably as a single tear fell straight from your eye, so heavy it didn't even touch your face. You'd never felt this way before, what was the word to express this? Anxiety?

"Knock it off Johnny," Pony said wiping his eyes, "You get too juiced up the doctors won't let us see you no more." Suddenly a nurse entered the room as you and Pony stood up. 

"Johnny your mothers here to see you." The nurse said as Pony's eyes widened and you gritted your teeth. "Oh no, she can't see Johnny. She'll just mess him up." You said. She rolled her eyes, "But that's his mother." She said as Twobit walked back in, a book in his hand. 

"What's going on here?" Twobit asked.

"Johnny's mother wants to see him." The nurse replied. "To which I told her no. Johnny doesn't need to hear that hag's mouth." You replied. "She's right don't bring her in here." Two said getting fustrated.

"Johnny I'm going to bring your mother in, is that ok-?" "I don't want to see her." Johnny cut her off.

"Quit stressin him!" You told her.

"It's you mother she's here to see you."

"I said I don't want to see her!" Johnny replied getting impatient,  "She prolly just wants to come down to tell me about all the trouble I'm causing! Well why don't you just tell her to leave me-!" Johnny made an exasperated noise before passing out. Pony almost cried again as the shaking came back for you.

"Is he alright?" Twobit asked the nurse. "Yes you just can't see him now." She said frowning a bit. "Is he ok Pony? Y/N?" You didn't respond you were frozen and Pony simply didn't know. "Well you make sure he gets this book." Two said to the nurse handing her a copy of Gone With The Wind as she nodded. 

Once you left Johnny's room (still shooken up) you planned to make your way to Dally's room before hearing commotion in the hallway.

"I want to see my son!" A lady yelled. It was Johnny's mother, she looked drunk and smelled of booze. "He'd rather see these three no good PUNKS! Than his own mother!" She shouted pointing at you guys. 

At this you snapped, "You low down pice of SCUM! No wonder everyone HATES YOU, YOU VARMINT! If I were Johnny I would've DISOWNED YOU AS MY MOTHER A LONG TIME AGO!" You shouted pointing your finger in her face. 

"YOU DARE SPEAK TO ME THAT WAY?" she screamed. 

"DID I STUTTER?"

"No wonder he HATES your guts!" Twobit almost shouted at Johnny's mother shutting the both of you up. "You don't  even care about him you damn drunk!" Twobit said as you and Pony started to carry him away from the woman. "You go straight to hell! You go right to hell." Twobit finished, crying as his voice cracked. It was the first time in a while where' seen him emotional, or not laughing it up with someone. It scared you, things were changing all too quickly.

You three walked into Dally's room to find him kicking out the nurse who was taking care of him. Once he saw you three he laughed that signature laugh of his.

"Glad to see you guys here, this place gives me the creeps man." Dally said getting out of his bed to grab something. Man Dally sure had some nerve to walk around without his gown in only his tighty whiteys. But you didn't react, you didn't say a word. You were still shocked, still scared. 

When Dally got back in the bed he talked about how Tim Shepard came buy, he talked about the news paper and his unavailable record, and he talked about the rumble which sure set your stomach uneasy by the sound if it. 

"He started talking about the rumble man, I hate missing it." Dally said as you didn't say a word still. You still thought about Johnny explaining how he doesn't want to die, and how much you loved him, and how his mother acted, and how Twobit acted, and how Ponyboy had been crying, and how someone else might get hurt at the rumble. It was too much, all too much for even you to handle. 

"Hey Pon you got a cigarette?" Dally asked him as Pony pulled a box out of his pocket and handed one to Dally. "Thanks." Dally replied as Pony was about to put them back in his pocket.

"Wait Pony..." you said as he stopped in his tracks, "Get me one too." At this everyone in the room was now looking at you. All eyes on you.