Chapter 11 | Not So Different

This mainly just a dialogue sequence between Y/N, Ponyboy, and Randy so yeah...just letting you know!

You watched as Randy and his left over Greaser gang poured out of his car and approached you three. You stood your ground and you noticed Ponyboy puffing his chest to seem intimidating.

You watched as Randy approached you three, stopping right in front of you and Ponyboy. You looked him up and dow, possibly scanning for any bad intentions. Your not usually the type to just give anyone random looks but you had to. He and his friends were the reason Johnny was in the hospital, it felt required to do. Besides you could've done much worse hadn't it been for the rule of no fighting before the rumble later on that night.

"No jabs before the rumble, you know that ape face." Twobit said to Randy as if reading your mind.

"I know...I just wanted to talk to these two here." He said looking over at you and Ponyboy. You both looked back at Twobit who could tell you didn't want to be anywhere near Randy, but convinced you to go along with it, "You guys go I'll keep an eye on him." Twobit said as you and Ponyboy followed after Randy over to his car, and a nice tuff one too.

You watched as Randy leaned on his car. It was silent for a moment before Randy began to speak, "I saw you in the paper, how come?" He asked you both. 

"Don't know, guess I'm into being superhero's or something." You shrugged as he looked at you straight in the eyes, you broke contact quickly looking down at the ground.

"I would've let those kids burn to death." Randy said, you kind of understood where he was coming from. After all the only reason you ran inside was to save Johnny and Ponyboy.

"Maybe you would've helped too." Pony replied quietly.

Randy began to speak again before being interrupted by Twobit's loud laughing. You looked over to See Two laughing and making fun of the Soc boys that had been with Randy. You couldn't help but crack a little smile, nothing like Twobit to wipe a frown from your face so fast.

"Talk inside my car?" Randy asked as you and Ponyboy opened the car doors. You sat in the back, Pony sitting in the passenger seat with Randy.

"You know that friend boy of yours, he might die?" Randy asked as you felt hot and your eyes watered a little. Johnny...was still in the hospital. "Keep his name out of your mouth jerk! You hear me! I-" "Y/n! It's ok...Johnny will be ok." Ponyboy said as you wiped your pre tears from your eyes, sniffling and full of sadness.

"My bad. I didn't mean it any type of way, but he did kill my friend too." Randy said as you just looked away out the window to study Twobit. Maybe he could brighten your mood a bit but you could barely hear him. You dropped your head down above your knees as Randy continued.

"And tonight at the rumble. You know people may get killed right?" Randy said, almost seeming emotional. You sat up and listened and watched him carefully. He had small beads of tears forming at the corner of his eyes, and he fidgeted with things around him, like Johnny does. You almost felt bad for him, almost. Hmm maybe you did.

"You can't win you know that don't you?" Randy started again, "Even if you do whip us you'll be right back where you started, the bottom." At this Pony sort of tensed up. He didn't like when anybody talked badly about his gang, neither did you.

You guys went on for a while about how there wasn't much difference between a Greaser and a Soc. How labels don't matter because at the end of the day, you were all flesh and bones.

"I'm tired of it all. Bob was a good guy. The best buddy know to man. A good fighter and tuff, but he was a real person too." Randy explained. "All he wanted was to hear no. His parents gave him everything he could've wished for and it messed him up. All he needed was to hear the word no. He'd come home drunk one night and his parents never belted him. Maybe if they did he'd still be alive." Was it possible to see such two horrible Socs and think about them differently. Maybe it was because thinking about Bob lying face down on the concrete that night haunted you just a little bit more.

"That's why I'm not going to the fight. I'm gonna take the ol' Mustang and all the dough I can carry and leave town." Randy said.

"Running away from your problems ain't gonna solve em." You and Pony said at the same time, although he sounded more convincing and kept together where as you sounded depressed and knowing of.

"Heck I know, but I don't feel like being called a chicken or being disappointed." 

You thought about what you wanted to say for a moment, "We'd help you if we could." You said quietly almost hesitant.

"No you wouldn't. I'm a Soc, you get a little money and the whole world hates you." Randy replied, you and Pony were learning not to take everything Randy said to heart.

"No, you just hate the whole world." You and Pony said together. Randy looked at the both of you, almost like he'd been touched but hit with reality faster than a speeding bullet. You knew that feeling all too well.

You and Pony looked at each other and realized it was about time to go. As you two exited the car, Randy did the same before Ponyboy started talking again, "You would've helped those kids if you were there, just like we did." He stated. 

"Thanks grease." Randy said smiling, "I mean kid, thank both of you kids." He said as you half grinned at him. 

"My name's y/n." You told him, "And I'm Ponyboy, nice speaking to you Randy." Pony finished.

Randy reached his hand inside the car and honked the horn as his Soc friends went back to his car. You and Ponyboy made your way over to Twobit, "What'd super Soc have to say?" Twobit asked you two.

"He ain't a Soc Two," you started as Pony looked at you and nodded, "Just a regular guy".