Chapter 17 | Fever Dream

Long chapter ahead 😮‍💨✋

You woke up, head pounding and bones aching.   You weren't in your room, you were in Ponyboy and Soda's shared room. You yawned in confusion as you looked over next to you in bed. There was Ponyboy who looked like he'd been knocked out for ages. 

Looking down at Pony's face you suddenly got a flash of memories. You sat up straight in the bed. You let everything that happened earlier (unaware when), flood your mind.

You and Ponyboy had been following quickly  behind Darry and the gang that one night. You didn't know what you were getting yourself into. You'd been with the gang to get Dally out of trouble multiple times before. But this time felt different. This time felt, unsafe. It didn't feel right. Like something bad was going to happen. When would you learn to trust your gut?

You all ran out in the street just in time to see Dally being chased by the cops. "STOP!" You all yelled and other commotions. Until you saw what you dreaded. Dally pulling something black out of his pocket.

"The gun.." Pony whispered as you quickly looked at him. "The gun's...not loaded. The gun is not loaded." You whispered back as Pony watched wide eyed. 

"HEY! THE GUNS NOT LOADED DON'T SHOOT!" you yelled at the top of your lungs. "THE GUNS NO-" you were interrupted by the sound of gunshots. Dally went down slowly. "STOP! IT'S NOT LOADED HE CAN'T HURT YOU!" you cried. 

"HE'S JUST A KID!" Darry shouted along. Another shot. And another. And one more. You all ran closer just before Dally rolled out in front of you. "Y/n, Pony-" Dally's last words. 

"No...no no no no...Dallas..." you spoke looking down at him. The boys were just as hysterical as you at this point. 

You don't remember much after that. Just this overwhelming feeling. You saw Darrel. And Steve. And Twobit or maybe Keith. And Sodapop. And Dallas laid out before you. And a unconscious Ponyboy. And Johnny? You could've sworn you saw Johnny just before the world began to spin, then blacken.

...

You laid up in the bed still. Your breath had sped up by a lot. Your heart was pounding out of your chest. You couldn't control your thoughts. The room was spinning again. 

Suddenly the door to the room door opened. You were met with Darry. 

"Y/n your up! I just stepped out for a minute to use the bathroom." He said pointing at the chair sitting on the left side of you. It looked like he'd been there all night, or however long you were in that bed.

His smile quickly faded as he approached you, realizing how close you were to a panic attack. He's seen your panic attacks before and he hates them for you. It like no one can handle you. It can take actual hours to calm you down depending on the situation.

"D-Dally...he's...I'm gonna be sick." You said holding your stomach. "Shh y/n it's going to be ok. There's nothing we can do now." He said. You examined his face. He looked like he hadn't slept in days, weeks even. This had to be the worst you'd ever seen him. Yet he's always the strongest one to hold everyone together.

"Besides it's not the first time you've been like this." He said. "Sick?" You asked making a face, you think it felt kind of numb. "Yup, let's see today's Tuesday. You passed out in the parking lot on Saturday night. We took you home and you awoke at midnight only for you to be a mess. You threw up a lot that night, and all of Sunday, and couple times yesterday. We were scared you'd loose a lot of fluids so we kept feeding you soup and water, but after a couple hours you'd just throw it up again." Darry chuckled.