Ep.4 (3/5)

Y/n's heart sank as she listened to her parents' conversation, their words revealing a distressing truth. Her father had taken out a loan from a loan shark, a decision that now threatened their family's stability. She watched as her mother slapped her father's hand away, a mixture of anger and worry etched on her face.

"What's going on, Mom?" Y/n asked, her voice filled with concern as she took a seat in the living room.

Her mother sighed heavily, realizing it was time to share the truth. "Might as well tell you about it," she replied, her voice tinged with a hint of resignation. She handed Y/n a flier, the very one that had exposed their secret.

"Your dad took out a loan from this flier," her mother explained, her tone laced with disappointment. "This loan shark flier is usually left on a bicycle. He was caught because Minjun found the flier, but it's too late. Recently, the loan shark went to your dad's workplace to collect. He said that if we didn't pay the interest, he'd come to our house."

Y/n's mind raced, trying to make sense of it all. "Why did you have to take out the loan?" she asked, her voice a mixture of confusion and frustration. "We've paid the rent and tuition fees."

Her father interjected, attempting to defend his actions. "Your grandfather is sick," he revealed, his voice tinged with sadness. "He borrowed some money from me. I'll get the money in two weeks, but they changed the date of the payment. It's extortion."

Y/n's mother couldn't hide her disappointment. "How could you trust loan sharks? You know they're mafias," she scolded, her words laced with worry.

Her father, feeling the weight of his mistake, defended his decision with a hint of desperation. "They're easy to talk to," he admitted, though it was clear that his judgment had been clouded.

Y/n knew that dwelling on their past actions wouldn't solve their current problem. Resolute, she decided to take charge of the situation. "All right, we got the loan," she declared, her voice filled with determination. "Nothing we can do about it. I'll help out. How much do you owe them?"

Her father's response left her momentarily stunned. "1333,5526₩," he confessed, the weight of the debt echoing in his words.

"1333,5526₩?!" Y/n exclaimed, her eyes widening in disbelief. The magnitude of the debt was overwhelming, threatening to engulf their family in a cycle of financial struggle.

Y/n's heart raced as she stood before the loan shark, her mind filled with both determination and apprehension. She had managed to gather a portion of the debt, but she knew that the amount she held in her hand was far from enough to free her family from their financial burden.

The loan shark, known as the Boss, greeted her with a sense of familiarity. "Oh, Y/n. You want to talk about the loan?" he asked, his tone betraying a hint of curiosity.

Y/n took a deep breath, steeling herself for the conversation ahead. "Yes," she replied, her voice steady. "I've gathered around 76,203₩. May I pay this much for now? I'll pay more at the end of the month."

The Boss considered her request, a sly smile playing on his lips. "If you want to pay, there's an easy way to make money," he suggested, his words laced with a dubious proposition.

Y/n felt her guard rise, unsure of what he meant. "What do you mean?" she asked cautiously, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

The Boss leaned back in his chair, his gaze fixed on her. "This is a bargirl opportunity," he explained, his voice filled with a twisted sense of opportunity. "You just have a drink or two with guests. You just please them. If they like, they'll buy more drinks from you, and you'll earn more money."