[E] Chapter 4 - War, Counteroffensive, 1072

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

Date: July 1072.

Location: Wladirosa, Northern Kazimierz – Western Ursus border.

POV: Nelka Ramona.

"Morning Father!" I energetically greet my father, who already sits on the chair. He and my brother are all that I have left now. Speaking of my kind of annoying brother, where is he? He should've been sitting with our Father and talking either about work or meaningless stuff.

Nyx was pretty much accepted into our family. Sometimes she also cooked foods we had never eaten like that eastern noodle or that Siracusan pasta lookalike, per her admission on the matter.

We usually turn dough into bread or cure some fowlbeasts or tuskbeasts meat since it is much simpler and lasts longer. Her new culinary additions have become a novel experience.

"Where is Jan?" I asked my father while handing him his food.

"He went out with Nyx hours ago, probably training the hunters and volunteers or patrolling the land." My father answered and then started eating his breakfast.

"Is it perhaps... about that?" Anxiously I inquired of him. My father turned silent for a while before motioning me to finish breakfast first.

"Hah..." I can only sigh, the mood was already tarnished. The cause was of course the rumor of a renewed counteroffensive that was brewing.

Honestly, I hate war. Yet sometimes it will happen for the most nonsensical reason. I'm sure deep in my heart that not everyone wanted war, regardless of which side they were on.

We proceeded to eat in silence. This has been a recurring situation since a few months ago. Ursus patrolmen have been getting more and more violent nowadays. Of course, it brought resentment from everyone involved.

One of the soldiers even caused trouble for the local ursine people here. That's how badly they treated their kind, I don't have to say anything about how badly other races have it.

"What will you do today? Helping out with the crops again?" Father seems to sense my mood, so he initiates a talk to take my mind off it.

"Yes, I will be helping with the crops again. Ever since Nyx taught me how to create pizza, I keep wanting more!" I was very surprised when one day she just started building an earthen kiln for everyone to use, turns out she wanted to make Pizza.

I heard that this food was from Siracusa. Seeing how simple the ingredients were, it became a sort of fad here. To the point that our usage of flour had doubled than usual. Even after such a joyous luxury, in comparison, people slowly get bored eating it, but some don't and perhaps become addicted... sigh...

"Heh, just don't eat too many. Else you'll get stomach ache." Father just smirked and implied something quite rude.

"Are you implying what I think you're?" I glared at him, but he just dodged it and nonchalantly kept eating his breakfast.

I keep glaring at him... before we both burst out laughing.

"HAHAHA! Yeah, I did! So what huh!?" He challenged me with a smile.

"Ohoh~ I see." I just grinned darkly, but playfully, reveling in this peaceful atmosphere. Something I would dearly miss soon.

Sometimes later

Walking towards the field, I can see some notable but cleverly hidden improvements in the village. Wooden houses have been reinforced with stones or bricks here and there. Fences are thicker and taller than before, which was only enough to stop tuskbeast from charging straight through back then.