[E] Chapter 43 - A trial, Meddling, Future Investment.

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

[Message/communication apparatus]

Date: August 1086

Location: Nearl's Mansion, Kawalerielki, Kazimierz.

POV: Margaret Nearl

"... Autumn is about to end... hopefully none of you will be too lonely in my absence..." Musing aloud, I can't help but feel excited and anxious for the future. A person beside me seems to have not given up yet...

"Can't you postpone it for a while longer? Pretty sure you can still join by of spring and honestly... I'll miss you..." Zofia is clearly worried, and I'm beyond grateful for it. Yet there are things that can only be learned through practical application. Autumn will be the last season for me in this house of ours before my eventual departure towards the Northern Stronghold.

"Unfortunately, that's impossible... There was a letter delivered to me personally as well..."

"What letter?"

"Uncle Liam had informed me through a letter that the Silverlance will be more than glad to accept me into their ranks, provided that I passed their test." Zofia side-eyed me before pouting, it appeared she still had some lingering jealousy of me. Nothing harmful and it does tickle my funny bones a little.

"Lucky you... but considering the one being offered is as stubborn as a burdenbeast..." Zofia muttered aloud while helping me in preparing my apparel. I still have my gaze firmly at the reflection of myself, clad in light steel breastplate, leather armor, and having the Nearl's crest on said breastplate.

Despite my genuine protest, she stubbornly insisted that I allowed her to do her duty as lady-in-waiting. I'm still confused why she insisted on such, time and time again I tried to dissuade her but to no avail. Remembering that I had gone silent, I reply muttering.

"I declined, as you would have predicted. Not because of me feeling overwhelmed; no, but more like I had yet to even understand what truly it meant to walk by myself." Turning my eyes away from the mirror, I stare at a pair of Warhammer and shield... and the sword staff father had gifted me years ago.

"The path to Knighthood that I always known was not exactly the one I seek," Auntie said that it was laudable of me to be wanting a change. This is why she spared no expense in training me when able; it was a very painful experience, but ultimately fulfilling.

"You're crazy you know? Challenging her battered, tired, and bruised like that..." She then knocks the back of my head a little. I can't help but chuckle at the memory. Naturally, my graceful caretaker is less than pleased with my mirthful countenance.

"You were unconscious for the entire day and Maria was crying you know! Hah... Can you stop being so stubborn?" Ah yes, that was a regrettable situation. Maria is such a sweet dear little sister of mine, she is probably the only one here that Uncle won't deliberately scowl at every turn until she's older at least...

Sensing that I was lost in the sea of memory, her anger increased a notch.

"Listen to me, young lady!"

"Does that mean I can call you Auntie now?"

"Don't you dare..." She glowered at my little teasing. Zofia had become very sensitive with the word auntie, I was partly at fault with it... but it is necessary if I'm going to be a Knight Primus and understand how the hierarchy functions. Mostly for formality, however, I would rather consider her my sister but duty calls...