Chapter 51 - The Grey Serpent.

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

[Message/communication apparatus]

Date: November 1088

Location: High-Class residential district, Kawalerielki, Kazimierz

POV: Narrator

The high-class residential district is considered the most prestigious and spacious section of Kawelrielki. This is because it was once the fabled noble district that has been on a steady decline and being sold to the richer middle-class who are looking for status. So it brought to mind the question of why this particular place is just so eerily empty where not even a pedestrian walking their caninebeast could be seen around.

Thus one might wonder where they went off to. One of the most logical answers would be to attend the upcoming final of the 21st Kazimierz Major. The other is to spend their night reveling somewhere else within this core hub of Kazimierz's economy where almost everything goes.

But back to the tournament. This triennial event had always charmed not only the locals but also foreigners who either came to join or tourism. A gladiatorial event that has been cleverly promoted and beautified as a modern sport where blood and gore are cheered upon like ordinary soccer or football matches.

Naturally, a lot of money is at stake within the gambling sphere. The 21st Major's final also marked where a competition knight would reach the highest point in their career. Bestowal of Grand Knight's title is no small thing, one could have scored a massive jackpot with luxury seemingly landing down on their lap... but not for this one though.

No matter how hard people, competitors, and even the sponsors try to deny it, the winner of this major has already been set in stone. It would be none other than the fabled 2-times-in-a-row champion, Degenbrecher the Black Knight. Such a predictable outcome had no doubt dampened the mood and excitement, especially for those who have a lot of money invested in it.

Unfortunately, we are not here to go into too much detail regarding the modern gladiatorial bloodbath. Because on this very night, an ongoing incident against one of many famous but declining noble families is about to commence. The street is empty not only because of said major but also influenced by design, a nefarious design, and gambling.

Within one of many skyscrapers that dotted the High-class residential district, a group of shadowy individuals could be seen preparing all sorts of weaponry and equipment. They are not just any group however, they are an amalgamation of rogue elements belonging to Armorless Union and mercenaries for extra muscles. They have decided to go against orders due to the passive stance of their organization and the chance of getting ahead in power dynamics.

"Assault team make sure to bring with you 2 quivers of 30 arrows each and do not forget your backup armament."

"We got some extra armored leather here, those who have yet to get their own better haul ass since we don't get all day for this."

"Where is the main event monitoring team?"

"They just departed 5 minutes ago, what's wrong?"

"They forgot some of their radios, but then again they only need 1 or 2 peeps to keep us updated about the ongoing final."

"I'll forward it just in case, who knows that we would need all hands on deck for this."

"Come on dude, even if she is there, that bitch shouldn't be that tough and who knows we would get a taste, how about that eh?"