[E] Chapter 27 - Final, Siren's Song Serenade

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

[Message/communication apparatus]

Date: September 1082

Location: Kazimierz National Stadium, Kawalerielki, Kazimierz

POV: Narrator

The 19th Kazimierz Major has seen several surprises along its course, and it is about to reach the final segment of the triennial event. Tournaments that always garnered worldwide attention had always been mired with interesting dilemmas and perhaps even a social upheaval level of progression.

From a humble and perhaps rigid tournament where the main point was to gain knighthood, now it is an international event with state interest guise as personal interest, or vice-versa, to determine a potentially profitable and positive future amidst the uneasy world peace.

Now let us talk about some surprises that come along the line.

First, a sudden influx of contrabands that was abnormally high. This had left the local authorities in a pinch while those involved with Kazimier Council were pointing fingers at each other to reap influences. Then there was the incident with explosives and originium smuggling that is still under investigation.

Second, is the sudden return of Kazimierz's unofficial hero, Nyx the Grey Serpent. She has been spotted loitering all around Kawalerielki and lending a hand in promoting the event. It is not a secret that she has ties with the Nearls, and tying the incident of their heir and wife's disappearance, a thread was found.

But the interesting, and perhaps noteworthy, part is how she's cozying up closer with K.G.C.C. and her lesser-than-usual frequency of being spotted with the Nearl family.

Gossips abound that she has, more or less, cut ties with the family and how they're essentially 'useless' to her, Nyx's mercenary fame is puzzling, to say the least, but her professionalism is beyond doubt. This spawned myriads and colorful negative nicknames and how she is seen as being a bitchy little opportunist and a leech without a grain sense of shame.

Her sudden rise in working frequency with K.G.C.C and Knights Association had created an ambiguous situation regarding her real status. Is she someone else paramour? Was she perhaps promised a position? Did her working relationship break off with the Adeptus? Or maybe something else is in the play.

Regardless of the reason, the public has quickly forgotten the Nearls who fade into obscurity much faster. Several campaign knights retirees had expressed contempt for her ungrateful conduct, especially since the Nearl was the one vouching for her, according to several information networks.

Yet, no matter how many insults, slanders, and hate she garnered, the Grey Serpent didn't spare even a blink to it, her cold indifference to other's points of view remains the most consistent part. She still retaliates when someone goes too far but for the common masses, she's generally the same apathetic individual who cares more about material gains than something like an intimate relationship.

Her strictly professional conduct was rated highly, however, especially when a mercenary always has this perception of being unreliable and untrustworthy. Such is why her work relationship is still the same old dealings and problems...

Other things plagued the gossip tabloids, corporate magazines, and even state television channels... But all pales in comparison to the trendy and still hot-for-consumption event which is none other than the Kazimierz Major's newest, and perhaps strongest, contender to date.