[E] Chapter 38 - Young Lady's Prologue

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

[Message/communication apparatus]

Date: 14th October 1085

Location: Bavaria–Leichtstein, Leithanien.

POV: Narrator

The night is a quiet one, a much more preferable choice if one were to be asked so. Unfortunately, however, the penumbral scenery is the perfect cue for movements beneath the blissfully ignorant masses, sleeping soundly amidst the illusion of safety.

"We had been forced unto the back foot, Graf Maximillian had perished for his hubris in this city. What about our remaining thralls? Are we sufficiently prepared for combat this time around?" A voice inquired one of their comrades, none other regarding what needed to be done for the next move.

"Everything is in place, we only need to signal the start of our operation. May His Majesty bless our convictions." their counterpart answered, and despite the clearly encouraging tone, their voice was laced with uncertainty.

"... What should we do with the Siren?" Another one spoke their take on the situation, despite what they said, there was a hint of admiration within. Of course, such a remark elicited a less-than-favorable reply.

"Siren? That defective worm is no Siren." A voice that is laced with hatred spat out their clear disdain upon the Pythian. She had been a real thorn in their side, her involvement with his incident is clear; she is the one supposed to fetch whatever the package was for Werner Hohenberg. A daunting task they believed deep down, but their own pride demanded otherwise.

"The fact said otherwise, we had no room to underestimate her... We can stall her and fetch the package, that way we can ensure ever-"

"Fetch? We are no mere thieves, we are His Majesty's finest! You dare to admit and say we must act like a bunch of rats?"

"Then be my guest, was there ever a chance to use collateral to stop her? She has no qualms about the method, thus we cannot rule out the possibility that even the package is not out of the question in her mind. She would definitely get her reputation damaged, but when did that ever stop her? I also doubt that the CM would have her punished too severely, hefty punishment would surely be levied but not to the point of being expelled. She has her use, and unfortunately, we are witnessing her modus operandi and conduct firsthand."

"..." Everyone frowned. Truthfully, their objective would be a lot easier to complete if she were a tad more chivalrous. Chivalry is a notion that most of them scoffed about, yet ironically they needed it now more than ever. The Grey Serpent's exploits are not mere rumors, those were facts. She had shown some clemency now and then, but those were few and only when the mood struck her. Her time in CM does temper her to show more civility, but she never ruled out the usage of intimidation and threats if it means that potential conflict can be averted.

"Enough, we will commence our respective duties at the cracks of dawn. Dismiss." Slowly but surely, each of the voices vanished from the room. The one there starts to contemplate their next move...

"All that's left is to let the dice roll and the pawns make their moves." He too vanished from the place, the stage is set and all bets are placed.

POV: Kola Löwenstein

While walking through the hallway of our temporary lodging, my arts resonates with the stirring sounds in the air. It felt nostalgic... and horrifying.

Before my mind could fully recall what the sound was meant to herald, an explosion rocked the mobile city. This city is now wide awake with screaming and shrill shouts all over, further propagating a sense of chaos. I can even see through the window how the Gendarmeries are racing towards the explosion, our fellow guests also leave their rooms and start looking outside.