Friendships

I didn't attend Kyle's party yesterday, while I appreciated the offer I wasn't ready to be around people. So, I spent the day eating food and crying with Lily. As for today, I decided to skip my workout this morning. It's the first day of school so I really don't feel like doing it. I just want to get dressed, eat breakfast and get on the bus without any issues.

I've just finished washing my bowl from breakfast when I hear a knock on the door. "That must be Leo. Jake! Move your ass we gotta go!" I exclaim to the soon-to-be fourteen-year-old.

He would be in Middle School because of the fact he's not fourteen yet, but the high school made an exception for him because he's smart. So he'll be starting as a freshman while I'm a junior.

"I've decided I don't want to go," Jake announces as I'm putting my shoes on. "I don't give a fuck what you decided. We need to leave." I reply, throwing Jake's shoes at him for him to put on.

"But it's such a big school! I don't think I'm ready for that yet... Can't I just wait like... Another week?" Jake asks, I smile softly at him. "I'm scared too Jake, but the sooner we get to school the sooner our fear will be gone. If we wait it'll get worse so let's just rip off the band-aid."

Jake sighs, grabbing his shoes, he quickly chucks them on while I open the door. "Hey, fellas! You ready to go?" Leo asks, Jake groans. "How the hell are you smiling right now?! Is your face always like that?!"

"Ignore him, he just doesn't want to go to school," I state, grabbing my bag and stepping outside, Jake following closely behind. We walk in peaceful silence to the bus stop, we all have earbuds in. I'm listening to one of my many Spotify playlists, Jake is listening to Crime Junkie and Leo is listening to Screamo.

For someone who's very butterflies and rainbows, he loves heavy metal, screamo and rap. Guess you really can't read a book by its cover.

"Hey, fellas!" Leo exclaims as we make it to the bus stop where Kyle, Kenny, Stan and Cartman are already waiting. "Hey," They reply in unison, not really paying him any mind.

In fact, they only really pay attention to him when they want something. I don't understand why. He's such a kind and interesting person. Almost everyone in his life treats him like shit and he still has a smile on his face every damn day.

He's literally legally blind because of these jackasses and they couldn't care less about him! They were playing ninjas with actual weapons and Leo ended up with a throwing star in his eye. He wouldn't have lost his vision in that eye completely if they bothered to take him to the hospital.

While his other eye is 20/20 he's still legally blind as he doesn't have 180 field of vision anymore thanks to the incident. His injured eye is slightly paler than the other, he tries to use makeup to hide how bad the scar is, but I saw it while he was sleeping. I feel so bad for him.

I want to be friends with his friends as they do seem like fun people but it's hard. They seem great but they're so shit to Leo. How can I be friends with people who treat someone I care about like garbage?

Maybe I'm just projecting my shit from A/n onto this and they aren't as shit as they were when they were young?

"You alright Y/n?" I turn to the owner of the voice and see it's Kyle, I guess I was so zoned out I didn't realise my face was reflecting my thoughts. I relax, allowing my facial expression to go from angry to more indifferent.

"Yeah, just thinking." I reply plainly, "Just thinking? You looked like you were ready to kill someone. What was getting you so angry?" Kyle pries, should I be honest? I've only known them for a month.

Fuck it.

"Well, I noticed how Leo said hi to you guys and your responses barely acknowledged him. It got me thinking about how you guys only really treat him nicely if you want something. Other than that you guys treat him as if he doesn't exist. Do you even know what his favourite music is or his favourite shows? You've known him since kindy and I know more about him than you guys do combined. It just... It pisses me off."