Chapter 10: Ember of Love

While Martha and Vincent were spending a good time together inside their beach hotel home, Martha's mom told her dad about Vincent over supper. He sat across the kitchen table reading a huge magazine and drinking warm tea, while she stood over the stove to make simple meals. Once she was done cooking, she served the food on dishes and placed them on the table.

Martha's mom: I'm so happy for Martha, honey. She finally found love!

Martha's mom: Vincent is very tall, smart, and handsome. He's the total package.

Martha's dad: This is the first time I hear our daughter has a boyfriend.

Martha's dad: Surprised to know he's 2 years older...I hope he's mature and understanding.

Martha's mom: Oh, believe me, he is. He seems like a sweetheart who won't hurt a fly.

Martha's mom: She seems much happier. Before her eyes looked barren and lifeless. Now they're full of sparkles.

Martha's dad: Really? I hope he's genuine and honest with her. Some qualities many guys his age lack.

That night, the sea's tidal waves ceased as the lights of the beach hotels all turned off when everyone went to bed. It was almost as if the sea goddess put everything to sleep. Martha slept with Vincent, but she had a terrible dream. She dreamt that they were in Italy and the Spaniards had invaded their hometown and came to kidnap the women and hold them captive. Her name was Andrea and Vincent's name was Elio. "Andrea" was a maiden who was staying at home until she witnessed the Spanish soldiers marching closer to start a war. Her lover "Elio" was an Italian soldier fighting in the battle against the Spaniards. Their leader Captain Alvaro effortlessly beheaded multiple other Italian soldiers, while his men pulled the Italian women away from their men. His face looked exactly like Lord Rasputin's.

Andrea tried to free herself from the Spanish soldiers who held her with a strong grip.

Andrea: Let me go! I don't want to go with you!

Alvaro: When will you lower your sword and bow down to me, Elio?

Elio: You heartless prick...This territory will never be yours, Alvaro!

Elio: If you lay a hand on my girl, you will have to fight for your life.

Alvaro: A man's heart is very tricky...I know you'll eventually step aside. He laughed like a maniac.

They continued to brandish their swords against one another. However, Elio is of no match against Captain Alvaro. Within seconds, the Spanish leader knocked the helmet off of Vincent and kicked him to the ground. When Elio finally got up from his knees, he tried to retrieve his knocked off sword on the ground. However, Alvaro stabbed him from the back and blood spattered out of Elio's mouth. The hero fell to the ground, bloody and dead.

Andrea: She cried in pain. NOOOO!!! MY DEAR ELIO!!!!

Martha woke up from her dream, gasping in terror. She turned to the other side of the bed and she felt like weeping. It didn't take long for Vincent to sense Martha was up. He wrapped his arms around her to comfort her.

Vincent: What's the matter, Martha? Bad dream, huh?

Martha: She turned to face him. Y-You were a soldier with the n-name of E-Elio. I was your lover called A-Andrea.

Martha: Y-You fought for me, but died. A tear fell down her cheeks.

Vincent: He wiped the tear off her cheek. Shhh...Don't cry. It's just one bad nightmare.

Martha: We were both Italian and the Spaniards came and tried to take me away from you.

Vincent: In the present life, no one's that brave to steal another's lover.