Chapter 1

Past

Riya sat like a zombie , her eyes focused on the holy fire. Her soul and mind were completely numb to  people, family, relations, and emotions. She felt alone in the presence of so many who were her own. She looked up, hundreds had come down to bless Riya Sharma, daughter of cloth merchant Rajiv Sharma. They thought she was lucky to be a Sharma, to be Rajiv's daughter, to be born with a silver spoon. Her soul cracked a little, only if they could see the expensive daggers her own put through her. She was a child, she made a mistake but it was an unforgivable mistake. She pleaded , begged for forgiveness for one chance to live the only life she had , but she never got one. After all, her life belonged to the family who bought her in the world, and they owned her. 

Riya could still feel the burn on her cheek from the slap her dad gifted her in the principal's office and then dragged her home as if she was a dead meat. The accusations , insults, and disgusts still ran fresh in her mind. 

Everything hurt, not just physically but somewhere deep in her chest. She realized she was a burden and a mistake. The way her family planned and executed the plan to get rid of her was amazing. For the world, they were the best parent',  but today, she hated them . She hated all around her, but she hated him the most, Varun. If given a chance, she would inflict the same pain as he inflicted on her innocent heart.

***

Riya just stood like a statue as guests congratulated the new couple and then posed for the picture. Nothing was what she wanted. A lone tear made its way down her chee,  but she still stood unfazed. It was finally the time for the family to have pictures and her parents stood as if nothing happened. Riya  stepped away from the woman she adored as a mother. She believed come what may, her mother would stand by her and fight for her, instead she was being blamed for bringing the doom to the family.

Seema Sharma looked shocked but covered it quickly. ''behave.''

''You have no right on me hereon.'' Riya replied, matching her mother's glare. ''Hands off me or I create a scene.'' Seema saw a rebel in her meek daughter , she quickly retreated. One thing that Riya's mind was made up of was to never look back, her family stood non existent for her as she did for them. She wasn't the first one to commit the mistake in the family but she was the first girl to step into the unknown and she paid heavily.

While she took the vows around the holy fire, her mind pushed her to throw her body into the flames and end it all. Every step she took reminded her of the pain all her loved ones inflicted on her. Varun's betrayal, her father's beatings, her mother's curses and her siblings and cousins taunts. It was just her aunt, her father's sister who seemed to pity the girl. 

''They will torture you till you break or end. This life..'' Her aunt pointed towards her, ''Belongs to them only till it carries their name. You are small to fight the world alone. Take this marriage as an escape from this jail.''

''Why deceive someone innocent?'' Riya asked

''Riya, for now you have to be selfish. I may sound bad, but take what life is offering you. Leave this hell. Who knows, Shaan might be the angel of your life.''

''His name is Shaan!'' She asked and her aunt nodded. Cupping Riya's swollen cheeks she said. ''I went through hell but I will do everything to keep you safe. Shaan is doing his residency in London. I will be there for you. Together, we will overcome this.'' Riya nodded as her aunt hugged her battered form. ''Was my mistake that bad?''

''No, your only mistake was to dream. Sharmas can't stand anyone who dreams. Pls child, trust me this.'' Riya nodded

A month later 18 year old Riya stood on the wedding dais accepting the wishes for the life she never wanted. For now, she just wanted to leave the hell hole she once called home.