Chapter 8

Varun sat nervously, his palms sweaty and icy at the same time. His eyes kept darting around nervously. This wasn't the first time he was going to see her, but when he received  message that she wanted to meet him, his world seemed to turn upside down. Every time the bells at the entrance of the restaurant chimed, he would nervously turn around to check if it's Riya.

Varun checked his watch, it was 6:30 PM, she had committed for 6 PM. Did she stood him up? He shook his head, even if she did, he would try again. The server asked if he was ready and he ordered himself a cup of coffee, his body seemed to be losing all heat and he feared he might just collapse. The bells chimed again and his world stopped. Riya walked in, she was dressed in trouser and shirt with an overcoat. She looked around and then her eyes froze on him. He tried reading them but she seemed to be behind an invisible wall that he failed to penetrate. 

Riya made her way to the table , she ordered herself a coffee before turning her eyes  to meet that of the man she had vowed never to speak with. Varun watched her with a different emotion, having her so close evoked something tender in his heart. He felt warmth spreading over his heart. Varun knew, this was the last time he was meeting her and fear wouldn't get him any where

''How are you?'' he asked

''I am not here for your pleasantries. What ever you have to say, just get over with it.''

Varun nodded. He deserved every bit of it. ''I am here to apologize Riya, for everything. For my cowardice, your pain and all that you suffered because of me.''

Riya watched him without blinking an eye, a silent stretching between them. ''Is that all?'' She asked with a stony expression on her face

''Will you be able to forgive me?''

''Why now? After so long.'' Riya asked , leaning forward, her arms resting on the table. Varun felt a whiff of her perfume. Taking in as much as he could, he stared at his sweaty palms.  ''to lessen my guilt.'' He wasn't sure he she would believe that he was here to try and bring old Riya back.

She scoffed. ''Off course! All had to be about you. Your dreams, your sorrow your happiness, your career, your guilt.'' The last one came like a slap.

Varun couldn't dare to look up. ''I wish , I could go back and change everything. But I can't.'' He took a deep breath and looked up, locking his eyes with hers. He wanted her to see he wasn't lying. ''Riya, words won't do justice what you suffered. Nothing I do can take your pain away, but if there is a minimal chance that I could do something to help you move on, I would gladly do that. I would do all to bring hope in your life.''

That angered her. She felt fire running through her veins. She came here to show him she was unaffected by him but guess she wasn't and she discovered that just now. Riya was about to blast Varun but then the hurt side of her brain took over. Varun deserved the pain, a lot more than she went through. He enjoyed the fame while she burned in hate. Riya leaned back, ''Anything?'' She challenged

''Anything!'' He assured.

''Varun, I want you to burn in hell. I want you alone, tired and crying in a corner. I want to see you scared. I wish the world to hate you, call you names and tear your reputation in to pieces.''

The hate in her voice felt like a punch and he felt his heart stop. Varun felt a sharp pain in his chest. ''I wish the same for me.'' His emotion was honest but that angered her more.

''I have hated you so long that I felt I was done hating you, but meeting you today and listening to all the drama, I realized the only emotion I have for you is hate...immense hate.'' She waited for a moment. ''I hate you to a limit where even if you die, I won't shed a tear. In fact, I would celebrate  that world is free of a man like you.'' That went straight to his heart like thousands knives.