Chapter 3

Varun's fingers moved on the strings of his guitar, his eyes fixed on an empty wall. Since he had seen RIya, everything around him changed. He changed. He believed that it would be easy to beg for her forgiveness, but one look at her dead eyes and he knew the road was a lengthy one. 

Moreover, she wasn't committed and now it wasn't just about the forgiveness, it was about her and him. He wanted her in his life, he knew he didn't deserve her and she would hate him more if he said that, but he didn't care. The Varun who fished for attention died the day Riya's heart broke. The string broke and Varun stared at his injured fingers, this wasn't the first time nor it hurt like the first time. How he wished for those tender fingers to tend his wounds just like she did all those years back.

Past

Varun had taken a job of guitarist cum singer and a local restaurant. It wasn't money he needed, he needed recognition and this seemed perfect way to start with. He would play there four times a week, for about 2 hrs and locals started falling in love with the young musician.

When Varun played, the place would be full, but after Lakshay joined, the crowd doubled. They had been called melody boys by some elders in the area. By now, Varun had made friends with many locals and enjoyed all kinds of attention thrown at him. He wanted to prove to his dad that he was worthy of something on his own and didn't need to be like others in he family. 

That evening Varun played an old melody requested by a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Varun played while Lakshay sang mesmerizing people around. There were others who stood at the window and entrance just to hear these young boys play. When they concluded, the couple approached them and woman handed him some money as a blessing. Varun refused but then her words made him accept with gratitude. ''You will be a star one day, I am sure of it. But this bill here is the beginning for it. May your life be filled with lots of love.'' And he decided to never spend that money

''Your finger is bleeding.'' Lakshay called out. Varun just shook his head, ''Its not the first time. Will be fine.'' They were about to leave when a soft voice halted his movements. ''Here, this will help.''

Varun stared at the soft hand extended towards him holding a band-aid, he lifted his eyes and smiled. He had seen her almost every time he came down to play. She came along with Nirali and that confirmed that she was from same school. She had been there even before Lakshay joined him and he knew she came for him. Varun kept his guitar aside, extended his hand, ''Why don't you help?'' 

He watched her eyes go wide in surprise. She took a deep breath making him smile, she tore off the wrapper with shaking hands wrapping the band-aid carefully around the cut on his finger, making sure to avoid any skin contact. Varun tilted his head, this girl had a strange innocence, it intrigued him. He could feel her nervousness and wondered what would happen if they touched . He made the move placing his other hand gently over hers, ''Thanks'' 

She looked at him startled her cheeks turning a deep shade of pink, she quickly pulled her hands out if his grip, made a turn and ran out with Nirali in tow. Varun stared at his fingers which touched her skin, he could feel a kind of electricity passing through him. 'That's just stupid boys hormones.' But he knew better, this was something different.

''That's Riya, Nirali's room mate.'' Varun smiled casually as it didn't matter but he repeated her name in his head a couple of times as they rode back to their school.

''Varun! Riya is not the kind of girl to play with. Make sure you don't do anything that breaks her heart.'' Lakshay said the moment they were in the room.

''Why do this sound as if I am the bad guy?'' Varun asked , a little agitated. 

Lakshay shook his head. ''That's not what I mean. You flirt with many girls and they like it, I agree. But none appeared serious to me till now. They are looking for some fun and experience just like you. They are using their minds, so are you. But Riya is all heart, just be a little carful.''