Chapter 22

I didn't want to think about it. So I didn't. I sat down on the bed, with documents surrounding me, while I worked on my laptop. Karrion had tried his possible best to get through to me since last night when I found Leo, but I didn't want to listen to him. I also didn't want to be confined in a space with him, which is why I refused to get on the plane to Italy. He tried to talk me into it, then he tried forcing me, then he switched to begging. None of them worked. He even got Sion to beg me, but my mind was set. I had no interest in going anywhere with him.

"It's not safe here right now Sofia!" He had screamed a million times.

"Then make it safe." I had also replied calmly a couple of times. When he lost all will to argue with me, he started working on doing what I said. So, he has been in meetings all morning. Every now and then, I would hear him screaming his lungs out, but I didn't care. He needed to apologise for lying to me.

I continued working until I got hungry. I went down to grab a snack, but then I overheard a conversation. Two of Karrion's men were taking a break, and they were standing in the next hallway talking. Normally, I would mind my business and pass. But not when I hear Karrion's name being mentioned.

"Look, the Boss is wasting valuable time trying to negotiate with the Russians. Xavier Kross is back. And as soon as the war for control starts with Andrei, we're going to be sitting ducks."

"She said she's not getting on the plane with him. What is he supposed to do?"

"He has tons of these private planes. He puts her in one, and simply takes the other." I'm not going anywhere. "Besides, we wouldn't be in this situation if he hadn't gone soft." What?! Karrion?! Soft?

"Honestly. He used to be somebody." He is somebody. They should wait until I tell him about this. Then they'll see that he hasn't gone soft.

"At this point, I'm starting to think that his father had it right when he told him that women were nothing but weights." Excuse me?! "He should've just taken what he wanted from this one too. Instead of moving her in here and making her think that she can call the shots." Wow.

The other one laughed heartily. "I'm starting to find it difficult to take orders from someone who takes orders from a traitor. She basically betrayed her country for what? A man she had had sex with once?"

"As fucked up as all this is, I gotta give it to the Boss. He has always had an eye for the good things of life. Have you seen the state of her body?" Then they laughed again. I felt....livid!

"I was on Boss' personal detail yesterday. You had to hear the sounds coming out of that bedroom. That woman definitely satisfies him in there. At a point, I wished it was me getting all that." Ewwwww...come on!

"But that said, Andrei approached me about the offer...I'm thinking of taking it." Wait...I leaned in to hear more of their conversation.

"Shhh!" The other said in hushed tones. "Are you trying to get us both killed?! We don't mention that name in here! Or the offer! Besides, Andrei said that we wouldn't need to be cowering by the end of the day. It would all be sorted out. Come on, let's head out for routine checks. Break is basically up." They went the other way, and I stood there shocked. These men were traitors! And they called me a traitor?! I knew these men. They were always on Karrion's personal detail. How could they do this to him?!

I made my way to his office, where he was having his meetings for the day. I didn't even knock, I just waltzed in there. As soon as the doors opened, all eyes turned to me. I didn't care. But when his eyes met mine, I saw fury. He was angry..at me.

"Everyone out." Every single person left the room. As Sion got up to leave, he stopped him. Sion quietly sat back on his seat, and said nothing. Karrion was seated comfortably in his seat, sipping his drink. "What do you want now? My head? Sion's head?" I guess being an asshole is still in vogue.