Chapter 25

I was never one for the drama. I had a routine. I would wake up by 4am, workout till 6am, leave for my mission debrief at The Organisation by 7:45am. I would then leave The Organisation and head to my actual job and I would stay there till 9pm, given that I wasn't called back to The Organisation for a new mission.

These days, life wasn't as easy. I had developed new priorities so suddenly, and while I love them, a part of me couldn't help but feel like they were weighing me down. As I stood in the middle of the kitchen, frozen in my vegetable cutting state, I realised that I had to make some sort of change. Any type of change really.

"And because of that, we might need to kill Sion." Karrion had been having a conversation with me, but I was so lost in my own head space that I wasn't even hearing him.

"Yeah, whatever it takes." I said nonchalantly.

"Sophie!" He said with a loud clap. That dragged me right back to reality.

"What?!"

"Welcome back. Are you back from your mental trip to Narnia?" He said as he sipped from his bottle of water.

"Sorry...I was just thinking about work."

"Mhmmm." He came to my side of the kitchen island and wrapped his arms around my waist, turning me to face him. "Which work?"

"The art." He knew I was lying.

"You only lie when it's pretty serious. What's actually going on?" I contemplated telling him, but I knew he would probably do something drastic. And I was trying to avoid that.

"The Organisation is looking into Leo's disappearance."

"And?"

"You're not shocked?"

"No, and neither should you. He's their boss. He just up and vanished and you thought they would just forget about him and move on? Come on Sofia."

"They think I did something and then ran away to Switzerland, and when I heard that their agents were coming to bring me in, I ran away again to Russia." He laughed a bit at their theory of what happened.

"Well then baby, you have nothing to worry about. Their theory of what happened is completely off. Plus, you know that no harm could possibly ever come to you, right?"

"I know. But..."

"There are no buts. No harm will ever come to you. I don't care about what their little investigative team thinks. If they touch you, they'll all die. It's that simple." Karrion didn't have many flaws. But the biggest one he has, is the belief that everything ends in bloodshed.

I'm a spy. We are only trained to kill in unavoidable situations. I always believe that there is another way out. But he might be right on this one.

"Now that we've sorted this out, can we get back to making dinner? I'm starving." He said as he grabbed a carrot and threw into his mouth.

I finished making dinner soon enough, and we sat down and ate like an actual couple would. After dinner, Karrion got an urgent call that had to take him out of the apartment. I didn't complain. Instead, I opened a bottle of wine and went out to the balcony with my phone and laptop.

I decided to catch up on my Desperate Housewives. Almost an hour later, I got a call from a hidden number. It was almost time.

"Sophie. It's been too long."

"I know. I just still have so much to cover."

"It's getting a bit too risky. You're getting too close."

"I don't have a choice. You said to tear it apart from the inside right? That starts with him."

"This isn't like other missions Sophie. If he finds out, he'll kill you."

"No, he won't. I haven't been undercover this long doing nothing. He has fallen completely for this act of mine. He loves me daddy." My father sighed on the other end.

"I hope that you're right. I really hope so. Because if you aren't..."

"I am."

"But if you aren't..."

"I am."

"Listen to me!" I sighed a bit at all the drama. "If you aren't, we are going to have to either have you pull yourself out, or we come to get you."

"These options will break my cover."

"Let the cover break. I'm not losing my daughter to a fucking mission." He ended the call before I could say anything else.

**********Karrion's POV ***********
When Sion called me for an important meeting in the middle of the night, I knew that something was wrong. He would've just called or waited till morning. But being here now, I can't wait to hear it.

"Sion, you called. What is it?" He passed me a file. And when I opened it, I had no idea what it meant. "You're going to need to be a bit clearer."

"After I got Sophie back to you from Switzerland, I started doing some random digging into this organisation of theirs." I gave him a warning look. He knew that as soon as he mentioned Sophie, he had entered dangerous waters. "I swear, I just wanted to understand what they wanted with her."

"Ok."

"With organisations like this, when you quit, they don't send dozens of men to bring you back like a criminal."

"She was the last person seen with their boss, and then she fled. I think she didn't just quit to them."

"Yes. But, it made no sense. I looked into the regulations of The Organisation and Leo would've been useless to them after he killed Franco. He broke too many rules after everything he did to her and Franco. The Organisation would've wanted nothing to do with him. In fact, in 1988, the then head of The Organisation did the exact same thing that Leo did with Sophie to another female agent. When The Organisation's board found out, they killed the man and that woman became the first female head of The Organisation."

"All this is interesting, but I don't understand how this concerns me."

"You will, soon." He sipped a bit of water and continued. "My contact within The Organisation tells me that after Leo went missing, an unknown agent went forward to the board with information about what had happened. After the board did their investigations and confirmed, they killed all the agents involved, and stopped funding the search for Leo. Instead, they wanted to find her."

"She's a priceless asset."

"I called an informant of mine and she told me that after Leo vanished, his apartment got raided. In there, they found some documents that Leo had received from this unknown person, claiming that Sophie was undercover at The Organisation." He handed me another file with a copy of the document that Leo had received. I couldn't believe it.

"What are you saying?"

"Sophie's entire back story is centered around the fact that she used to work for The Organisation as a spy. She messed up and fell for the boss, but then got assigned to you. Then she fell for you...blah blah blah. If this is true, it might change a lot. Maybe too much."

"If she doesn't work for The Organisation, then who does she work for?"

"I don't know. Look, this could be something, or it could be nothing. Either way, I felt like you deserved to know."

"I know Sophie, if it was nothing, she would've said it by now. Continue investigating and keep me currently updated. I want to know if I'm in bed with a snake. Hopefully before I get bitten."