09 ♡ divine presence

So far, you were feeling good. You'd minimized usage of your Quirk and you'd conserved your energy and stamina. The first part of the obstacle race was behind you, and now, for the second-

You were staring at a cluster of pillars interconnected with thin tightropes. The space on each pillar was small, and one misstep in moving onto the next would result in a rather unfortunate fall. You couldn't even see the bottom of the chasm from where you were.

Your brows pulled together. You were agile, and you could probably clear this stage with physical prowess alone, but it would take a while. The gap between the front-runners would only keep widening as a result. If you didn't get through here in a flash, you had no chance of winning. As expected, you couldn't tackle this all on your own. You needed to find someone, anyone in the crowd that looked like they'd give you the opportunity to rise to the top.

"It looks like now's my chance to appeal!" a cheery voice cried out. You looked around, trying to pinpoint the source, and your eyes landed on a pink-haired girl clad in goggles and various other equipment. "It's time for my support items to bask in the limelight! Are you watching, support companies of Japan?! Behold the wire arrow and hover soles!"

"The Support Department!" Uraraka exclaimed. "Is it really okay to take items into the race??"

"Students from the Hero Course regularly receive actually fight training, right? Just to keep things fair, we're allowed to carry the items and costumes that we developed ourselves, so this equipment has all been okayed! For us... this is the perfect chance to show off our inventions and appeal to the corporations!" She grinned ear-to-ear, and a cable came shooting out of her suit and hooking onto one of the suspended pillars. Your eyes widened. This was it! Having it be a girl was a bit unlucky, but... it's not like you could afford to be picky right now.

"Stop!" you cried out to her, activating your Quirk just before she could launch off. Her head spun around, and she stared at you, confused, but her hesitation allowed you to bridge the distance in between the two of you. In an instant you had your arms locked around her, your voice escaping in silky ribbons. "Take me across to the other side using that invention of yours."

"Huh? No way! This is my chance to show off my adorable babies!"

You blinked, stupefied. Even though your body was pressed against hers, your Quirk wasn't working? Sure, it had always been less effective on members of the same gender, but she felt nothing? No attraction to you whatsoever?

T-This girl definitely doesn't have love on the brain at all. What do I do...?

She was squirming, trying to get you off. You seemed to be quite a bit stronger than her, but the more time you wasted, the further the gap between you and the front-line would widen. You'd never run into someone and have them be completely unaffected by your powers, so you had no idea how to handle this. Was it possible for people to have no romantic desires at all? But your Quirk had even worked on children back when you were young yourself...

"I need you to take me across. Right now." You inhaled, clutching her face close to your own and pressing your lips against her cheek. Her body stiffened for a moment, and then it seemed to turn to jelly in your arms. You could hear her giggling in a weak, dazed voice.

"Sure thing... hold on, okay?"

You held on tight as she jumped off the edge, then pressed down on a button that reeled you towards the hooked line on the other side. A relieved sigh left your lips. For a moment there, you'd lost your composure. This poor girl would probably be nearly out of commission for the rest of the race after that kiss, though.

The two of you cleared pillar after pillar, and you were getting decently close to the front now. Shouto had just finished the second stage and was moving onto the third and final one. From Present Mic's voice booming excitedly overhead, a field of landmines apparently awaited you on the other side. With the help of your new charmed ally, you eventually made it all the way over, and you pulled off the girl with a smile.