57 ♡ friends once more

The fight between Izuku and Katsuki was underway. Just as you'd expected, watching them try to beat the shit out of each other definitely didn't feel good, but you'd already made up your mind not to intervene. They needed this. The bitter relationship they'd shouldered for countless years was crying out, desperate to be repaired.

"Ugh, I'm seriously having second thoughts!" Izuku winced, having nearly caught one of Katsuki's attacks head-on. "Kacchan, maybe we really should just take a moment to talk about this...!"

Naturally, Katsuki had no intention of backing off. Just a few moments ago, you felt as if you'd brought the mood up a bit, but now that they were purely focused on each other, the anger and frustration was back in Katsuki's eyes.

But instead of exchanging blows, you could tell that Izuku was still hesitant. He opted to keep on avoiding all of Katsuki's attacks, just barely dodging them in time.

All that did was make Katsuki even angrier, though.

"Don't you dare run away!" he roared. "Fight me, goddammit!"

Katsuki propelled himself forward, trying to close the gap between him and his freckled rival. His speed was nothing to scoff at, and this time, Izuku couldn't quite get away in time. He was forced to defend himself, attempting to push Katsuki back. Unfortunately, he ended up taking one of Katsuki's kicks right to the face, but he didn't buckle under the pain. Right as he looked like he was about to fall onto his back, he caught himself on his hands and did a backwards handspring, his feet narrowly grazing Katsuki's arms.

Damn. Izuku-kun's a lot more flexible than I thought.

You didn't really have a chance to marvel at Izuku's impressive display, however. It didn't seem like Katsuki had been expecting that kind of recovery, and his balance had been thrown off by that brief instance where Izuku's feet had connected with his body.

Or perhaps it was because his mind was in utter disarray, but whatever the case, Katsuki lost his footing and ended up skidding across the ground, eventually falling over.

You felt sorry for him. You wanted to go over there and help, even give him a hug in the hopes that it might ease his burden. But you knew all too well that doing so wouldn't achieve anything. With the way he was feeling right now, fighting through his emotions was probably the only thing that would work. You couldn't pretend like you knew everything about Katsuki in the admittedly short time you'd spent together, but this much, you were sure of.

Izuku probably knew it too, but he still tried to offer Katsuki his hand.

"A-Are you alright?" he asked.

Katsuki's reaction was instantaneous. He swatted Izuku's hand out of the way, expression having contorted to the point that you could no longer see anything other than resentment.

"Don't fucking worry about me!" he cried out. "Just fight me, for shit's sake! What the actual hell is your problem?! Why? Why? How did I end up chasing the back of a shithead was always trailing behind me? I just don't understand! A shitty small fry like you constantly getting stronger and being recognized by All Might... even though I thought I was getting stronger too! So why...?"

Ah.

No. You were wrong. You'd thought that he was expressing nothing but his rage, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. The second he lifted his head, you saw it. The tears brimming in his eyes and that terribly pained look on his face.

Guilt. Doubt. And... self-hatred.

"Why did I become the reason for All Might's end?!" Katsuki choked out. He tried to wipe away his tears, but they were falling faster than he could get rid of them. "If only I'd been stronger... strong enough to not get kidnapped by those shitty villains, then none of that would have ever happened! And even with All Might's secret... I did my best to keep it to myself, because I figured it was something he needed to keep hidden, but it's been driving me crazy! I knew the tiniest slip-up might ruin everything he'd worked so hard to build up. So, I just... I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do!"