1

Jane

The sharp ring of my alarm jolts me awake instantly. I grab my phone and hit the snooze button, silently begging for an extra five minutes of sleep. I turn back onto my side and hug my pillow, sighing deeply, closing my eyes once more.

Another sharp ring moments later forces my eyes to snap open.

I groan in frustration and turn around, snatching my phone from my nightstand, seeing my friends number flashing across the screen. I roll my eyes and press the green button.

"The fuck do you want?" I ask groggily, but my friend just laughs.

"And good morning to you too." I sigh and throw my head back onto my pillow, rubbing my face with my hands.

"What do you want though?" I ask bitterly.

"You asked me to ring you at exactly 7:45am, and that is exactly what I have done." I stay silent for a moment, letting her words sink in.

"You're lying." I finally say with hesitation.

"Check our messages from last night. And then tell me if I am lying." I hear a laugh threatening to escape from her and I put the phone on loud speaker and unlock it, opening our messages, and sure enough, I told her to call me at exactly 7:45 so I didn't 'fall back to sleep'. I stay silent for a moment.

"Well?" Ava asks with knowing in her voice. When I do not answer she bursts into laughter, and I can't help but smile.

"It's not funny." I say sincerely, but it just makes her laugh even more.

"I'll be there in half an hour; you'd best be ready or I'm leaving you." I roll my eyes and a small laugh falls from my mouth.

"Okay, okay."

"Good." She says and hangs up the phone. I place my phone back onto my nightstand and force myself out of bed, walking to my wardrobe to pick an outfit for today. I look at all my clothes hanging up for a while, before deciding on mom jeans and a vest. I get dressed quickly, grab my phone, and run to the bathroom. I open the door and scream, slamming it shut again.

"Sorry! I didn't know you were in there Xavier!" I shout at my brother, trying not to laugh. He yanks the door open and gives me a glare as I lean on the door frame.

"Could you not here the shower running?" He asks angrily.

"No, I just woke up, I'm deaf in the mornings." I answer sarcastically, pushing past him to get into the bathroom.

"You're so annoying." He mutters to himself.

"I know." I say with mock pity, then I slam the door in his face and lock it.

"Bitch." I hear him shout as he walks away. I roll my eyes and walk over to the sink. I grab my hairbrush and brush my hair until it is all soft and perfectly falls around my face. I then brush my teeth, spitting out the toothpaste after a couple of minutes of brushing. I look at myself in the mirror when I hear banging on the door.

"What?" I scream, rolling my eyes.

"Are you finished in there, Jane? I need the toilet." I relax when I realise it's just my sister, and I walk over to the door, unlocking and opening it.

"Sorry, Isla." I smile down at her and she smiles up at me. I walk out of the bathroom and head down the hall and towards the stairs, when I notice music coming from my brothers' room. I stop outside of it and peak inside, almost losing it when I see what he's doing.

He has a hairbrush, and is singing into it, like he's a fucking popstar.

I stay there for another moment, covering my mouth with my hand when he leaps onto the bed and fully goes for it.

"I know, she knows, that I'm not fond of asking, true or false it may be, she's still out to get- Jane what the fuck?" He sees me and screams, and I burst into laughter. He goes bright red with embarrassment and turns his music off. He jumps off his bed and storms towards the door.

"You saw nothing." He says sincerely, and I look up at him, trying not to laugh again.

"Oh, I saw everything. But don't mind me, carry on. I'm sure we could get you on Britain's got talent." As I say, taking my phone out of my pocket. His eyes widen and he shoves me back, slamming his door in my face. My eyes widen in shock, and I turn around muttering to myself as I walk downstairs. I head into the kitchen and open the fridge looking in it for a moment, before deciding there's nothing in there that I like. I turn around and open a cupboard before hearing a loud knock on the door. I turn around and run towards it and opening it quickly.

"About time." Ava says as she smiles, and she steps inside giving me a tight hug. "Sorry that I'm a bit early." I check the time on my phone and look up at her once more with a raised eyebrow.

"A 'bit early'? Ava, you're ten minutes early." I laugh and Ava shrug her shoulders. We both walk into the kitchen, talking to one another and laughing.

"Oh god not you again." I hear my brother say. I look at him and cross my arms.

"Oh, look who it is, the screeching cat." I say and roll my eyes while Ava laughs. Xavier gives me a glare and drinks his water.

"I do not sound like a screeching cat." He says sternly and I turn to look at him abruptly, trying not to laugh.

"You want me to do an impression of you this morning? 'I know'-" I begin to sing in the most awful voice I could muster but he clamps his hand over my mouth, shutting me up.

"Jane, shut up." He says with warning, and I sigh, nodding.

"You're dropping Isla to school by the way." I say to him as he takes his hand away from my mouth and he looks at me with despair.

"But I've got things to do." He whines. I shake my head as I grab a handful of cheerios from the cereal box, shoving it into my mouth.

"Not my problem." I say blankly. I grab my bag that is by the counter and sling it onto my shoulder.

"Jane-" Xavier shouts but I am already at the door.

"Bye!" I yell over him, and Ava and I exit the house with laughter.

-----------------------------------------