6

Jane

It's been six weeks since our new English teacher had started, and it's obvious that he absolutely loathes me.

He gives me extra work; he gives me detention for no apparent reason, and he never lets me speak in class.

What the fuck did I do other than wound his massive ego?

I sit at the dining table and eat my cereal as my dad comes downstairs.

"Hello pumpkin." He says, smiling at me while he fixes his watch on his wrist. I give him a smile back and mutter a hello.
"When am I supposed to be dropping you off at school?" he asks, grabbing a slice of bread. I hold up my finger and grab my phone out of my pocket.

"Eight." I said, putting my phone face down on the table.

"What time is it now?"

"7:30." I reply bluntly. He nods his head and eats the piece of bread in his hand. I give him a weird look, but he just smiles at me.

"Grab your things and put them in the car, I'll be out in a minute." He states, clapping his hands. I nod and shove myself away from the table, slinging my rucksack on my shoulders and grabbing my suitcase. The car unlocks as I walk outside and I open the back seat, throwing everything in. I open the passenger side door and sit myself down on the seat, sitting quietly on my phone. After a while, I hear the front door close and my father opens his door and climbs in, starting the car quickly.

"It's cold, isn't it?" he says to me while laughing, I let out a small chuckle as he puts the car into drive, staying silent for the entire car ride to my school. He stops just outside, and I climb out, grabbing all my things from the backseat before saying goodbye to him.

"Jane! Jesus Christ, where were you?" Ava sprints to me and I give her a look.

"I'm on time?"

"I know, but I missed you." She says and I smile at her words, and we walk towards the coach.

"Oh, for fucks sake, who invited him?" I whisper to Ava as I spot Mr Turner. She turns to me with a raised eyebrow.

"Did you not get the email?" I shake my head and she sighs as I put all my luggage onto the coach. "Mr Finch and Mr Turner swapped, considering Mr Finch is as old as time itself." She says quietly and I groan in response.

"Why does the universe hate me?" I whisper but Ava just shrugs her shoulders.

"Jane I-"

"Girls." I roll my eyes and turn around, giving Mr Turner a sarcastic smile.

"Boy." I greet and he glances at me and clenches his jaw, looking at the ground.

"Are all of your bags on the bus?" I click my tongue and look at Ava.

"Yes." I smile at him, and he mocks me by smiling back.

"Well, if everything is on, why don't you get on the coach?" I narrow my eyes and link Ava's and I's arms, dragging her towards the coach entrance. Once we get on, she starts dragging me towards the middle of the coach, where two seats are free.

"Are you excited? I am. I cannot wait to spend a week with-"

"Excuse me? I was sat here. I'm so sorry, I just went to the toilet." I look away from ava and make eye contact with Isabella. I smile at her lightly and shake my head.

"Jane can- move." Ava says, completely awestruck by Isabella. I look at her with exasperation and she widens her eyes, begging me to move. I give in and stand up, offering my seat to her.

"I'm sorry, you can sit here, I'll find somewhere else." I say as I smile at her. She smiles back and thanks me as she sits by Ava, the two of them instantly striking a conversation. I grab my rucksack and look around, and the only free seats are at the very front of the bus. I groan internally and walk down the isle towards them, placing myself in the window seat. I grab my phone and send a text to Ava, asking her to keep me updated. I stay on it for a while, scrolling aimlessly through social media and do not acknowledge the person who sits beside me. The bus eventually starts up and we begin to move, and I reach into my bag for my headphones.

"You know if you stare at that screen for too long, you'll get square eyes." I freeze when I hear his voice and turn my head to face him.

"For crying out loud." I mutter to myself, and I glance at his phone in his hand. "You fucking hypocrite." I say in disbelief, and he clicks his tongue, putting it away. I grab my headphones and turn them on, getting Spotify up on my phone.

"You know it's extremely rude-"

"Can you not? I have no need to speak to you." I snap and he holds his hands up sarcastically.

"It's basic human courtesy to not ignore the person next to you." I pause for a moment and look at him I nod slowly, and he smiles.

"You're right." I say, and he smiles even more.

"Thank you-"

"You're an infectious rat." I say, nodding my head further. He looks at me in shock and I smile at him.

"I beg your pardon? I-"

"No need to beg." I say rolling my eyes and placing my headphones on my head. He looks around in exasperation and I smile to myself proudly.

"It's not like I want to sit next to you anyway." He whisper shouts and I shrug my shoulders.

"Oh, boo hoo. Just swap with someone smart arse." I say, rolling my eyes.

"I can't." I grow frustrated and remove my headphones, glaring at him.

"Ask a teacher?"

"No." I clench my jaw and look around, pointing at Mrs Smith.

"Ask her." I say, but he just rolls his eyes.

"Do you really want to sit next to an old woman?"

"If it means being away from you, yes." I say angrily, and he looks at me in defeat, leaning back on his chair.

"No. She's like, old. You'd die of boredom."

"Yes, well you're not much better."

"Neither are you."

"Excuse me?"

"You're excused." He says, a smirk forming on his lips.

"The fact you had to steal my insult to try and insult me is very babyish of you." I reply bitterly.

"Yes, well, considering-"

"Just, please, shut the fuck up. You're giving me a headache."

"Fine."

"Fine." We both fold our arms and look forward, not saying another word to one another.