2

Jane

"Can we stop off at Starbucks? I want an iced coffee." Ava states as we walk down the path.

"Mmh." I say, texting away to my idiotic brother, for he keeps complaining that he needs to drop Isla to school. Ava looks at my phone and sighs.

"He is such a moron." She says loudly and I look at her, shoving my phone into my back pocket.

"Tell me about it." I say tiredly, rolling my eyes. Ava links our arms as we come closer to Starbucks.

"Do you want anything?" She asks as we walk inside. I shake my head no and sit down at a table while she waits in the queue. I pull my phone out of my pocket and have seven missed calls and ten texts from Xavier. I roll my eyes and open Instagram, scrolling aimlessly through the feed until Ava suddenly appears behind me, iced coffee in hand.

"Are you sure you don't want anything?" she asks with a look of guilt on her face.

"It's fine, honestly." I reassure her as she takes a sip.

"Let's go then." She says happily and turns around, walking to the exit. I put my phone in my pocket, standing up, but I crash into someone, and their drink goes all over me.

"What the fuck?" I shout and turn to look at the person who spilled their drink all over me, and I am met with a boy.

"I'm sorry, but you crashed into me." He states. I look at him with my jaw dropped.

"Oh, really?" I ask spitefully and he thinks for a moment before nodding. I gasp in exasperation and look down at my shirt. Thankfully it was only water that he spilt on me.

"Well, thanks a lot." I say sarcastically and he smiles.

"You're welcome. Now, if you would excuse me, I have places to be." He elbows past me, and I am left to stand there in shock. I look down at my black vest once again and I rub my hands on the material, trying to dry it.

"Jane?" I hear Ava shout and I turn around and smile. I quickly grab my bag and bolt out of the door. Ava looks at me up and down and her eyes widen.

"What happened to you?" she asks, handing me some tissues in the process.

"Some fucktard walked into me and spilt his water all over me." I say angrily, wiping away the water that was on my arms. I shove the tissue into a nearby bin and we continue walking to school.

"You're lucky it's a hot day, you'll dry off quickly." Ava says, trying to make me feel better about myself. My phone buzzes and I take it out to look at the message I had received. I read it and look at the time, my eyes widening.

"Ava, we need to hurry, we're late." I grab her almost gone iced coffee and throw it away, grabbing her hand and dragging her along quickly. We get to the school reception, and run in, totally out of breath. The receptionist looks at us, then at the time and sighs.

"Why are you two late?" she asks, putting on her glasses. I look at Ava for help, but she mirrors my expression. I turn to the receptionist to find her glaring at us both.

"We-" I start but get interrupted.

"Someone spilt water all over Jane, and we had to stop to get her a new top because hers was absolutely soaked." Ava says quickly, and the receptionist narrows her eyes, but turns back to her computer.

"I'll write you both a pass." She says after a moment, and I relax.

"Are you in the same lesson?" she asks us, looking at us through her glasses.

"Yes." Ava says before I can answer.

"Names?"

"Ava Miller and Jane Grant." I say quickly and the receptionist nods, handing us the pass.

"Go up quickly, your lessons started five minutes ago." She says to us, and we smile and thank her. We walk through the doors and sigh in relief.

"What do we have?" I ask ava, and she looks at her sheet of paper.

"English. We have old man Finch." I groan and we start heading up the stairs, not saying a word. We come up to our classroom door and I open it, stepping inside slowly. Mr Finch looks up from his computer and sees Ava and I and lets out a frustrated sigh.

"Why are you late?" he asked with an edge to his voice.

"We have a pass." Ava states. I look around the room as her and our teacher talk, and I notice two seats at the back. I hand Mr Finch our pass and I grab Avas hand, dragging her to the back with me. As we sit down, the door opens again, and I silently thank the gods we aren't the only ones late, and I sit there, doodling on my notepad.

"Ah, Mr Turner, I thought you wouldn't show." Mr Finch says happily. Mr Turner? I look up and my eyes widen in shock.

"Yes, sorry, I ran into a bit of trouble on my way here." Mr Turner says, taking Mr Finch's hand and shaking it.

"Not to worry." M Finch says and turns to the rest of the class. "Class, this is Mr Turner. He is a teacher trainee and will be taking over this class for the time being." Mr Turner smiles and his eyes skim across the room, then his gaze lands on me, and his smile falters. We glare at each other before Mr Finch says something to  him, making him take his eyes away from me. I turn to Ava, and she looks and me confused.

"He's the fuckwit who spilt water on me this morning." I say, gritting my teeth and Ava snorts, making the teachers look at us.

"Is something funny Miss Miller?" Mr Finch asks, and Ava just coughs and shakes her head, but is still smiling. I look down at my lap, trying not to smile too.

"Miss Grant." Mr Finch says, and my head snaps up and I catch Mr Turner's eye.

"Yes?" I ask, and I can feel Ava shaking next to me, which makes me want to laugh too. Mr Finch looks between us and sighs.

"I suggest you both stop laughing." I look at Mr Turner, his face dead straight, and the smile only grows on my lips. I look down at my lap and don't say anything more.

"Fucktard." I say under my breath and Ava completely loses it, and I start shaking, trying to contain my laughter. Mr Finch looks at us again and slams his hand on the table.

"Girls. Enough." He says sternly and Ava and I stop laughing and look forward. When Mr Turner and Mr Finch start talking again, I feel Ava shift closer to me.

"Ava, don't." I say, the smile still evident on my mouth. She comes close to my ear and stays like that for a moment I take a sip of water from my bottle, trying to calm myself down.

"Don't you think Mr Finch is a mix of Danny DeVito and Shrek." She whispers and I lose it. The water sprays from my mouth and I can't stop laughing.

"Miss Grant, please step outside." Mr Filch shouts and I stand up, walking towards the door. I step outside and lean against the wall, and the door opens again, revealing Mr Turner. I roll my eyes and turn away from him. He smiles at me sarcastically, with his hands in his pockets.

"Hi." He says and I turn to face him, crossing my arms again.

"The fuck do you want?" I say, and his eyebrows furrow.

"I don't think you have the right to speak to me like that Miss Grant." He says sternly, and I roll my eyes again.

"Oh, please, I can speak to you however I want to." I see him grow rather angry and he clenches his jaw.

"We will go back into this classroom, and you will do the work I set for you, or you and your friend will be separated, understand?" he says loudly. I look at him with a bored expression, chewing my nails. I nod slowly and he smiles sarcastically once again.

"Good, now go back inside." I throw myself off the wall I was leaning on and barge past him.

"Fuckwit." I mutter, and I hear his let out and angry sigh. I walk back into the classroom and sit down by Ava once more, And Mr Turner says something to Mr Finch, and he nods. He gathers all his belongings and says goodbye to the class. When he is gone, Mr Turner turns towards us and claps his hands, leaning on the table.

"So, class, today we will be reading Macbeth." I groan and grab the book out of my bag and open it on the page we were on.

This is going to be a hell of a long year.