18

Jane

I feel like a complete moron as I turn away from Joseph. I keep my head down as I walk through the house, not wanting to be jump scared. I come across another set of stairs and jog down them quickly, wanting to get out of this wretched place. I eventually find the exit and walk out, my eyes searching for Ava and Isabella. I eventually see them standing near the doghnut stand, and I walk to them quickly.

"Jane!" Ava says brightly and pulls me into a tight hug. She looks around behind me and her eyebrows knit together. "Where's Mr Turner?" I see her eyes search my face as I clear my throat.

"I've no clue, I thought he was right behind me." I say blankly, but Ava glances at Izzy and narrows her eyes, but doesn't say anything more. We wait for Joseph to find us, and when he does, he ignores my presence completely.

"Ava, Isabella." He greets them with a smile and says nothing more while shoving his hands in his pockets.

"Uhm, yeah, okay. What time is it?" Ava asks quickly, seeing as it's dark out. I look at my phone and state that it is nine thirty and the three of us decide that it's time to head back, and Joseph just follows behind us silently. I feel Ava's eyes on me as we walk, but I choose to ignore her.

"What happened?" She asks quietly, and I just shrug my shoulders, and I feel her roll her eyes beside me. "Jane..."

"Nothing. Happened." I say firmly and glance behind us to see how far Joseph is. When I see that he's out of earshot, I turn to Ava. "I think I'm just being desperate." I admit quietly.

"Oh Jane..." She says and gives me a sympathetic smile while I clear my throat.

"It's okay. It's better this way, I didn't even like him anyway. I just think that what happened in our room made me believe that I like him, you know?" Ava freezes and grabs my shoulders.

"What the hell happened in our room?" she says in a loud whisper, and my eyes widen in realisation.

"Umm- I-"

"Jane Elizabeth Grant, you tell me right now." She says firmly, and I look around with worry, to make sure Joseph or Isabella cannot hear us before I finally cave in and sigh. "Meandjosephkindakissed." I say quickly and Ava's eyes knit together in confusion, so I say it more slowly so that she can understand. "Joseph and I kind of kissed. But it wasn't romantic or anything- it was all too fast- and honestly it didn't make me feel anything- there wasn't any tension whatsoever-'' Ava holds a hand up to cut me off, and I notice that her eyes are closed.

"You did what?" She practically yells out of excitement and it frightens me a little and I widen my eyes.

"We-"

"I know what you said." She says loudly but smiles at me excitedly. "Oh my god this is such big news."

"Well It's not that big-"

"It is to me." She screams and I have to tell her to calm down.

"Look Ava," I say seriously, but she smiles and shakes her head.

"I won't tell anyone, you don't need to worry." I feel myself physically relax as I breathe out a relieved sigh.

"Won't tell anyone what?" I hear a voice ask behind me, and I instantly feel tense again. Ava's eyes flicker behind me before returning to me, her eyes slightly wide. I close my eyes in defeat and turn around, putting on a fake smile.

"Hi!" I say brightly, but Joseph's eyes narrow and my face instantly falls. I clear my throat and look back at Ava, who avoids my gaze. "Nothing, Mr Turner." I say in answer to his question, and I notice his jaw tighten.