7

Joseph

She sits beside me with her headphones on with her music playing, completely ignoring me. I don't mind. I'm ignoring her too.

But Jesus she is fucking rude.

I glance at her once more to find her scrolling through social media. I roll my eyes and tap her shoulder. No response. I do it again, a bit harder, but she's still ignoring me. I do it again with force and she lets out an annoyed huff, violently taking her headphones off and turns towards me.

"What?" she asks bitterly, and my eyes are wide. I clear my throat and point at her phone.

"You shouldn't be on that too much." I say and she stares at me like I'm an alien. I glance around, confused.

"What?" She shrugs her shoulders and turns away.

"Are you living in the eighteenth century?"

"That's not-"

"Oh, please-"

"Actually, I meant you shouldn't be on it as much during this journey because if it runs out, you've no way of charging it." I say, raising my voice above hers. We stare at each other, her eyes wide with fury and my jaw clenched. I feel eyes on us, and I look around and catch Mrs Smith's eyes, and offer her a small smile before turning back to Jane, only to find her on her phone once again. I roll my eyes and pluck her phone from her hands, and she lets out a small wail.

"I'll be taking that." I say as I put it into my pocket, and she looks at me angrily.

"You can't just take my phone. You have no right."

"Actually, I can." I say sarcastically, smiling at her as I point to my lanyard that holds my teacher's badge. She gives me a hard stare and clenches her jaw before throwing herself back dramatically and crosses her arms over her chest. I smirk as I look down at her, proud of myself immensely. I grab my own phone out of my pocket and look through my messages and I hear her scoff. I glance at her and let out a long breath.

"Is there something you would like to say, Jane?" she glances at me before snatching my phone out of my hand and shoving it into her own pocket. I look at her in shock and furrow my eyebrows.

"Give it back." I say sternly, but she smiles at me sweetly.

"No, I don't think I will." I grind my teeth together and reach over in attempt to grab my phone from her back pocket, but she slaps my hand away, hard.

"No, no, no, teachers aren't allowed to touch students." My mouth falls open in shock and I can see her trying not to laugh. I stay still for a moment before lunging myself in her direction, reaching for my phone and she hits me away. I manage to grab it and she breathes out heavily, her cheeks flushing with anger. She brushes her hair out of her face and looks out of the window.

"Dick."

"Dick." I say, mimicking her. I hear her let out an angry sigh, but she ignores me for the rest of the ride.

***

Jane is asleep when we arrive at the hotel in Paris. I look at her for a moment before putting my hand gently on her shoulder.

"Jane?" I say softly, gently shaking her awake. She moans and her eyes flutter open as she pulls her hair out of her face.

"What time is it?" she yawns and stretches, looking out of the window. I check my phone and look at her.

"It's only noon. It doesn't take long to get to Paris from London." I whisper softly and she looks around. I reach into my pocket and pull out her phone and hand it to her, and she just stares at the object in her hand. She mutters a small thank you and stands up, pulling her bag with her, before disappearing out of the coach.