3

Jane

The school day flew by, and before I knew it, I was walking home with Ava by my side. I slam my front door open and throw my bag down on the floor.

"What's wrong with you moody?" Xavier ask when I barge into the kitchen to grab Ava and I a snack.

"The new English teacher. He's a fucking moron, that's what." Ava and Xavier glance at each other and hold back smiles as I slam bowls down onto the table, Isla comes running down the stair's moments later.

"Jane!" she squeals and runs up to me, hugging my side. I pat her on the head and smile.

"How was school?" I ask her.

"Oh, it was great, we're learning about Egyptians." She says excitedly as I pour cereal into the bowls.

"That's great." I reply, handing Ava the bowl as I turn to Xavier.

"Mum home yet?" I ask, drinking some water. He nods and point upstairs.

"She's upstairs in her office." I nod to myself for a moment.

"And dad?" Xavier shakes his head and takes a bite out of the chocolate bar he is holding.

"He went to work." I nod again and grab my bowl of cereal, gesturing for Ava to follow me.

"Wait, aren't you cooking dinner?" Xavier shouts after me, hesitation in his voice. I roll my eyes and turn around.

"No, I did that yesterday, it's your turn." I smile at him sweetly and walk up the stairs, Ava laughing by my side. We hear Xavier curse and muttering to himself as we enter my room, closing my door.

"Sorry it's a mess I didn't have time to clean it this morning." Ava gives me a knowing look as she sits at my desk with our cereal while I make my bed and put all my dirty laundry into a basket. I then throw myself onto my bed, putting my phone on my bedside table and grabbing my cereal. We both sit in silence for a while until Ava finally speaks.

"Mr Turner does not like you." She says, laughing slightly and I glare at her.

"He's a massive dick." I say bitterly. "Did you notice he gave me extra work today? Like what?" I shove my empty cereal bowl onto the side and grab my remote, turning on the tv to listen to music.

"Yeah, that was a bit unfair." She says slowly. "He seemed super annoyed with you when you guys came back in, what happened?" I look at her momentarily before turning back to my tv and putting on a chill mix.

"I called him a fuckwit." I say casually.

"That's it?" Ava said, a laugh escaping her mouth. I nod and look at her. "Jesus, this man has issues." She says and sits next to me. I nod in agreement, and we sit in silence once more.

"Do you want to stay-" my sentence is cut short by a loud clatter and a curse from downstairs. I leap from my bed, throwing open my door and rushing downstairs to see what had happened, with Ava right on my tail. I reach the kitchen and see Xavier grabbing his foot in pain and I rolled my eyes.

"What happened?" I asked, and he looked up at me, tears threatening to escape his eyes.

"I can't cook, the pot attacked me." I roll my eyes and walk towards him, Ava completely losing it behind me. I pick up the pot and slam it down on the side.

"You do this every. Single. Time, Xavier." I say turning around and opening a cupboard looking for the spaghetti. "I am not stupid." I say and slam it down on the side.

"But I really did hurt-" I hold my hand up to cut him off.

"Xavier, please, just go upstairs." He instantly drops his foot and beams at me.

"Thanks." He says and bolts up the stairs. I roll my eyes and turn to the oven, turning the gas on.

"Idiot." I say under my breath and Ava comes and stands beside me, snickering.

"He's really something." She says and shakes her head while laughing. I dump some spaghetti into the pot and fill it with water. "Do you need any help?" Ava asks seriously, and I nod.

"Can you set the table first though?" I ask, and she nods quickly, leaving the room for five minutes and then coming back to help me. We both begin cooking and soon we have Spaghetti Bolognaise, Isla's favourite. I dish up five plates and grate some cheese on top.

"Xavier, Isla! Dinner!" I shout and both come running downstairs, grabbing a plate each and sitting at the table. I leave my mum's out on the side and grab Ava's and I's, sitting down at the table, placing Ava's next to mine. We all begin to eat, and it's silent.

"Xavier can you not chew so loudly please?" I ask in frustration. Xavier stares at me and slurps the spaghetti into his mouth loudly and I roll my eyes.

"You're cleaning up." I say to him, and he looks dumbstruck.

"But-"

"It wasn't a question." I glare at him, and he sighs in defeat, tucking back into his food. Ava has a smile on her face and is trying not to laugh.

"Are you getting picked up?" I ask her and she nods as there is a sharp knock on the door.

"That'll be my mum." She says, standing up. "I'll see you tomorrow, Jane." I smile at her and say goodbye and she exits the house. I stand up and place my dishes in the sink, running upstairs to study for the rest of the night.