12

Joseph

I sit at the bar with a cigarette in my mouth and a whiskey in my hand. I take the cigerette out of my mouth and exhale before bringing the glass to my lips and taking a drink.

"You okay, English?" The bartender asks me, and I nod slowly, but he doesn't seem to believe me. "You've been coming here for two days straight. What's up?" I take the cigarette out of my mouth again and place it in the ashtray, staring at it for a moment before looking at him and shrugging my shoulders.

"Don't know." I answer and finish off my whiskey quickly, but he lets out a long breath, taking the glass away from me.

"I don't believe you." He says and I groan in response.

"You don't have to believe me. Can I have another one please?" I nod to the glass in his hands, and he chuckles, refilling the glass like I asked.

"Come on English, tell me." He says, handing me the whiskey. I drink half of it in one go and place the glass back on the table, narrowing my eyes at him. I fold my hands together and let out a long breath.

"It's just... one of my students is just so aggravating." I bite out and he just looks at me, his eyes wide.

"How old are you?"

"I'm nineteen." I answer and finish off my drink and smacking my lips.

"Nineteen and a teacher?" he asks with confusion.

"Well, I'm a teacher trainee, but I have a class to myself." He nods, showing he understands, and I smile at him, pushing my glass his way.

"You're not having anymore." The bartender says, shaking his head and chuckling. I sigh and lean on the table, raking a hand through my hair. "How old is she?" he asks suddenly, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"I never said it was a girl." I say and he tilts his head to the side, smiling knowingly. I smile in defeat and press my forehead against the table. "She's sixteen." I mumble and I hear him chuckle.

"I'm not surprised." I hear him say under his breath and I choose to act as is I hadn't heard him. I tilt my head to the side, glancing out the window before turning back to him, but I freeze. I quickly look outside again, and I see two girls walking along the street. I lean forward slightly and squint my eyes, trying to figure out who they are.

"English? You, ok?" The bartender brings me out of my thoughts, and I look at him quickly, standing up. I take out my wallet and give him the money I owe him, muttering a thank you and storming out of the bar. I look down the street to try and spot the two girls, and I see them turn around a corner. I jog after them and see that they enter a building, but I don't move until the door shuts. I walk slowly over, bringing my hand up to knock on the door, but I pause. What if it isn't who I think it is? I shake away the thought and knock on the door hard and loud, and a man opens it. He looks at me up and down, scowling at the suit I'm wearing.

"ID?" I hand him my ID and he looks at it for a moment then at me, handing it back and opening the door wider for me to walk in. "It's D&B night." He tells me and I mumble a thank you and rush down the stairs into the club. The bright lights flash and I squint my eyes and look around, before spotting Jane and Ava at the bar, clenching my jaw.

How the fuck did they get out?

I sit myself down at an empty table, watching the girls closely. I see Ava say something to Jane, but she shakes her head, handing Ava a shot that they both finish right away, slamming the small cups on the table. I see Jane grab Ava's arm and drag her to the dancefloor, where they both start jumping up and down to the beat. I get up and walk towards the bar, ordering a bottled beer, turning around and leaning on the table. I bring the bottle to my lips and take a quick drink, my eyes scanning the dancefloor for Jane and Ava. I spot them almost instantly, dancing to the music. I take another drink and I find myself looking only at jane, not being able to pull my gaze away. My eyes flickers over her body, drinking her in. I look at the dress she has on, finishing my bottle and putting it on the counter. She's wearing a baby blue skin tight dress, which covers her like a second layer of skin. I grind my teeth together and order another bottle watching Jane move to the music. I look at her up and down as I finish the drink, heading back to the table I was sat at. I sit down and watch her some more for a while, before a woman approaches me.