9

Jane

I almost fall out of my bed when my alarm rings through the room the next morning. I see Ava sit up abruptly and look at me, groaning loudly.

"Turn it off, Jane." She complains, laying down and placing a pillow over her head. I look around my bed, looking for the source of noise.

"Jane!"

"I'm trying!" I snap and look around once more, finding my phone lodged between the bed and the bedside table. When I turn the alarm off, I throw my phone and turn around, closing my eyes once more.

Then there's a fucking knock on the door.

"For fucks sake." I mumble and throw the covers off myself and storm towards the door as Ava buries her head in her pillow. I grab the handle and yank it open, revealing Mr Turner leant against the door frame. When he sees me, he cocks an eyebrow and his eyes flicker to my chest, and I'm suddenly aware of what I'm wearing. I notice the muscles in his jaw tense as he looks away, and I take a step to the side, hiding myself behind the door.

"What do you want?" I ask with a shaky voice. He stays silent for a moment before clearing his throat and straitening himself.

"You need to get up." I roll my eyes and poke my head around the door to look at him.

"Really? I must wake myself up then." I say sarcastically, but he doesn't even crack a smile.

"Just get down to breakfast, Jane." I says, maintaining eye contact before turning and stalking down the hallway. I inhale a deep breath and close the door. I turn around to face Ava, and she's giving me a lopsided smile.

"Don't, Ava." I say, going over to my suitcase and pulling out a jumper and throwing it over myself.

"I didn't say anything." Ava says, holding her hands up in surrender, but I ignore her and head into the bathroom. After this, we get dressed fairly quickly, and Ava and I head down to breakfast half an hour later. We sit down at a table and help ourselves to some cereal, when Mrs Smith walks over to us.

"Ava, Jane-" her smile drops as she looks at me. "Jane what are you wearing?" I look down at my outfit, which is a pair of blue shorts and a black vest, before looking back up at her.

"Clothes?" I question, not really knowing what to say. I hear Ava snicker behind me, and I kick her under the table, and he spits out the cereal in her mouth before kicking me back. I see Mrs Smith's lips press into a tight line as she looks at her clipboard.

"Girls, we're leaving in an hour. Pack a bag for the day, and Jane," she looks at me and raises an eyebrow. "Pack a jumper." I smile and nod at her, and she turns and walks away. I turn to Ava and find her in a fit of laughter.

"What?" I say and it makes her laugh even more.

"It's just that-" I hear someone clear their throat behind me, and I turn around to see Mr Turner.

"Yes?" He looks at me for a moment before turning to Ava.

"Have you been told when we are leaving?" He asks her but I open my mouth before she could respond.

"Yes, we have. You can leave now." I snap and he slowly looks at me and smiles.

"I didn't ask you, young lady."

"Oh, so we are using pet names now?" His whole body turns to face me, and he tilts his head.

"Is that what you want?" He says in a blank tone, and I sit back, narrowing my eyes. He smiles at me, then at Ava, before strutting away from us again. I turn towards the table and slam my spoon into my bowl.

"Asshole." I mutter and see Ava smiling to herself out of the corner of my eye.

***

The hour goes by quickly and before I know it, we are on the coach to the Eiffel tower. The trip there was short and thankfully I was next to Ava.

"Why do you keep laughing to yourself?" I blurt out and ava looks at me, confused.

"Well, that was random." She says before looking at her phone again. I glance at it then back at her, taking it out her hand. "Hey-!"

"I'll give this back when you tell me what you keep laughing about." I say and Ava throws herself back on her seat.

"Nothing." I give her a look and she rolls her eyes, snatching her phone back. "I just keep smiling about Isabella." She says as a matter-of-factly. I narrow my eyes at her.

"I don't believe you." I say but she just laughs, and the conversation dies, but it wasn't long before we parked and being unloaded onto the pavement. Mrs Smith tells us all to gather around her, and Ava and I are the last to join the circle.

"Okay." She begins, slapping her hands together. "I have separated you into three different groups, each group assigned to a teacher." Ava and I glance at each other momentarily, and I hold my breath. "I'm going to split you into three equal groups." She start walking to us individually, giving us a number between one and three. "Ava, two. Jane, three." I groan and look at Ava, but she just smiles at me.

"I'm in Isabella's group." She whispers excitedly, and I smile at her. Mrs Smith finishes giving everyone a number and goes back to the front of the group.

"Okay so, group one, you're with Mrs Parker. Group two, You're with me and group three, you're with Mr Turner." I close my eyes and breathe in deeply, hoping that I had misheard her, but when I open them, the rest of my group is walking towards Mr Turner and I look back at Ava, groaning when she smiles and waves at me. I roll my eyes and practically drag myself towards him, just as Mrs Smith stops to talk to him.

"Joseph are you sure you can handle this?" she asks, and he nods at her politely, taking a sheet of paper from her hands. I narrow my eyes and walk towards him when she goes away.

"'Joseph are you sure you can handle this?'" I mock and he glances at me but ignores me completely. I roll my eyes and barge past him, joining the rest of my group.

"Okay, who's ready to go?" He asks with a smile on his lips.