10

Joseph

I cannot believe that I've been landed with looking after the most aggravating girl on earth.

It seems as if Mrs Smith had done this on purpose.

I watch her closely as she joins the rest of the group, instantly striking conversation with someone. I clench my jaw as we arrive at the staircase, paying the fee for all of us. We climb the stairs and when we get to the second floor, the students disperse in different directions, talking to one another about the view and such.

"I don't get what's so interesting about a fucking telephone tower." I hear a voice mumble behind me, and I turn around to find Jane on her phone. I let out a frustrated breath and snatch the device from her hands, earning and annoyed grunt from her.

"What's your problem?" She asks, rolling her eyes. I put her phone in my front pocket.

"You can have it back when we are finished. Now go and join the others." She crosses her arms in protest and looks at me, raising an eyebrow. The muscles in my jaw tense as my eyes flicker over her. "I said go and join the others." I repeat sternly and quietly, but she looks at her nails and clicks her tongue.

"Joseph, Joseph, Joseph."

"It's Mr Turner to you." I say bitterly and she smiles at me sweetly and pats me on the shoulder twice before walking up to a couple of students who are looking at the view. I narrow my eyes slightly and walk in the opposite direction, when I feel a buzzing coming from Jane's phone. I stop walking and slowly reach for her phone, pulling it out and seeing there is a text message from Ava, and my eyebrows furrow as I read it.

How is it with Mr Small Dick?

What the fuck? Annoyance flares through me as I press on the message, attempting to reply. The passcode screen appears, and I grunt in frustration. I pause for a moment before putting the passcode 2580, and to my surprise, it unlocks instantly.

"Fucking idiot." I laugh and Ava and Jane's messages pop up on the screen. I look around, spotting Jane quite far away from me and in conversation with someone. I look down at her phone, reading the message from Ava once again before clearing my throat and begin typing. I know I shouldn't be doing this, it's wrong, but honestly, she needs to get off her high horse and learn some fucking manners.

He's actually not that bad. Beginning to grow fond of him 😊

I look at the message I wrote and decide it's good enough and hit send. I look around and rub my face with my hand after I put her phone back in my front pocket. I walk towards the group of students I oversee and tell them that it's time to get into the elevator to the top. I glance at Jane who is staring daggers at me, and I smile at her. We all walk towards the elevators and clamber inside of one, reaching the top after around ten minutes or so. When we get there, I tell the pupils to be careful and that we will only be here for a maximum of twenty minutes. I walk to the edge and grab my phone to take pictures of the view.

"Maybe enjoy the view instead of feeling the need to take a photo." Jane says from behind me, and I turn around slowly.

"If you had your phone, you'd do the same." I see her tense up and shake her head and I point towards the view. "You want a picture?" I was being almost completely sincere. Almost. She looks at me suspiciously and shakes her head and I nod. She walks up next to me and leans on the rail, looking at the view, and I bring my phone up and snap a quick picture of her. She turns to me angrily, standing up abruptly.

"I thought I said I didn't want a picture?" She says, her voice shaking slightly. I shrug my shoulders like it isn't a big deal.

"I need pictures of the students up here. You're not special." I whisper the last bit, my voice coated with sarcasm. I see her lips purse and I smile down at her, but she rolls her eyes.

"You really think so highly of yourself, don't you?" she says, and I click my tongue in response.

"Not as much as you."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"It means exactly what it means." I look down at her and she stares at me.

"God you're such a bastard."

"Considering I was actually born before my parents got married, yes, I am. So, I'm not really offended. Try harder next time sweetheart." I give her a pat on the back and start to walk away, and I hear her footsteps behind me. She grabs my shoulder and makes me turn to face her.

"Do you have any idea how much I despise you?" She spits out bitterly and I roll my eyes, leaning closer to her.

"And do you have any idea how much I want to throw you off this godforsaken tower?"

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me." She faulters and takes a step back.

"You hate me that much?" she asks shakily, and I laugh.

"Jesus, Jane. You have no idea how much I hate you." I take a step closer, but she doesn't budge. "You have no idea how much you aggravate me. How much I loathe you. You make me so..." I pause, not really knowing how to finish thesentence. I maintain eye contact the whole time. I see no reaction from her, so I turn around and walk away. I put as much distance between the two of us as possible before reaching into my pocket and pulling out a packet of cigarettes, placing one into my mouth.

"Excuse me sir, you can't smoke up here." A woman with a French accent tells me. For fucks sake. I take the cigarette out of my mouth angrily and place it back into the packet. I look around and see Jane still rooted to the spot that I had left her at. I furrow my eyebrows and take my phone from my pocket, opening the photos app. I click on the photo of jane and stare at it for a moment, noticing how she has light freckles over her face, her eyes are bright and green, her neck, her lips...

I almost drop my phone.

What the fuck.

I clench my jaw and shove my phone back in my pocket while grabbing hers in the process. I turn on her phone to see six messages from Ava, all saying the same things. I clear the messages and shove her phone back from where I grabbed it. I walk around, collecting all the students, telling them it's time to go back to the coach. I notice that Jane is quiet, and I feel slightly guilty. When we get into the elevator, I stand next to her, handing her phone. She mutters a quiet thank you and she checks her phone for notifications, looking slightly confused. I widen my eyes. Shit. I didn't think of that. I clear my throat and she glance at me, unlocking her phone in the process.

"I'm sorry." I mumble. I cannot believe I am apologising to this girl. It's not like I want to. I have to. I need this job, and she will make me lose it if she reports me. She doesn't answer so I look at her. "I said I'm-"

"I know what you fucking said. And quite frankly, I don't care." She snaps and I am taken aback by her sudden outburst.

"I was just trying to make amends." I say quietly, scratching my temple.

"Well, you don't have to, Joseph." I look at her and clear my throat.

"It's Mr Turner, young lady."

"Yeah, well I don't care." I clench my jaw again and start to grow rather angry. This fucking girl. I'm trying to be nice and she's being a massive bitch.

"Fine."

"Fine." We fall silent, and don't speak another word to each other for the rest of the day.