13

Jane

"Jane?" I feel someone poke my cheek and I slap their hand away, pulling the duvet over myself in an attempt to hide away from the world. "Jane." The voice drags my name out, poking me on the shoulder this time. "Jane!"

"What?" I scream sitting up too fast, and my head begins to hurt.

"I was just getting you up. It's ten." Ava says while walking away. I throw myself back down on my bed, groaning loudly.

"It's too early for this Ava." I hear her laugh and she walks back over to me.

"We're going to the museum in like an hour." She sits at the edge of my bed as I slowly stand up, stopping in my tracks when I look down at my clothes.

"Why am I still in my dress from last night?" Ava lets out a small laugh and stands next to me.

"You didn't get changed."

"Really? Ghee, Ava. I hadn't realised." I answer her sarcastically and she laughs. "But seriously, why didn't you help me get changed?" I ask her sternly.

"I'm not the one who brought you home." She says nonchalantly and shrugs her shoulders and I tense up.

"Ava..." I drag her name out and she looks at me and shrugs her shoulders again.

"Someone brought you home." She says simply and my mouth falls open as I storm towards her.

"I didn't have sex with some random Forty year old, right?" I say while poking her in the chest. She scrunches her nose in disgust and playfully slaps my hand away.

"What? Ew, no. Jesus, Jane it was someone we know." She glances at me as she says the last word and I narrow my eyes.

"I had sex with someone we know?" she shouts out in surprise when those words leave my lips.

"What? Jane, no! you didn't have sex with anyone." She pauses and glances at me momentarily before clearing her throat. "Well, not that I know of." She says under her breath and laughs to herself but stops when she sees my face and mutters a small apology.

"Ava, please who brought me home?" I ask desperately and she stares and me as I grab an outfit from my suitcase.

"Not sure if I'm the one who should say."

"Ava for fucks sake just-" The door bursts open and Joseph walks in, looking eerily calm. He clears his throat and glances at me before turning to Ava, handing her a small packet and some water.

"It's for her." He says, tilting his head to me, and I look back and forth between them.

"Excuse me," I say, walking in between them. "What is going on?" Ava hands me the Ibuprofen and water, a smile threatening to escape her lips, and I instantly put two and two together.

Oh.

I glance turn around to face Joseph, handing the water and the packet back to him.

"I can grab my own, thanks." He rolls his eyes and shoves the items back into my hands while stepping away from me.

"Just take them, Jane. Don't be more aggravating than you already are." He says, looking bored and tired.

"I am not aggravating." I say through gritted teeth, and he rolls his eyes again, rubbing his face with his hands.

"You are. Now, are you ready?"

"Considering you hadn't changed me out of my clothes last night, we may be a bit late." I snap and pull on a pair of jeans. I see his jaw tense as his eyes involuntarily fall to my legs, and I feel my cheeks burn.

"I would have thought it would be inappropriate for a teacher to undress a student." He says, his eyes falling on mine. We stare at each other for a moment before I stand up straight and walk towards him, pushing him backwards out of the room and slamming the door in his face. I storm back towards my bed and take off my dress, putting on a baggy Arctic Monkeys T-Shirt and grabbing my phone. I brush my hair and walk into the bathroom and come out a couple of minutes later after brushing my teeth. Ava waits for me by her bed with her rucksack on her back.

"You ready?" I ask and she nods, smiling at me. We walk out of the room and down into the dining room, where everyone seems to be waiting.

"There you are, girls." Mrs Smith says as she walks up to us. "You ready to go? Do you have your money?" we nod in response, and she claps her hands to get everyone's attention. "Okay so we are going to the Louvre Museum, and I will separate you into pair once we are there, is everyone ready?" everyone nods and says yes in response, and we all walk out of the building and into the coach.

***

We arrive half an hour later and everyone gets off the coach in a rush. Ava and I are the last ones off, and everyone stands in a big circle around the three teachers. I see Mrs Smith lean into Mr Turner after he taps her on the shoulder and points to the sheet, and she nods and they both smile.

"Do you think it'll be random?" I whisper to Ava, and she nods.

"Oh definitely." She says and I sigh in defeat. I count everyone's heads and it dawns on me we have an odd number of students, so one group will have three.

"Okay, calm down please." Mrs Smith shouts and everyone falls silent. Joseph hands her the paper, and she starts calling out names of students, until there are only a few of us left.

"Ava and Isabella." Ava goes bright red when Izzy runs over to us, beaming positively.

"Hi, Ava!" she says excitedly, and Ava just stares at her, completely mesmerized. I grin widely and punch Ava playfully on the shoulder to snap her out of her trance.

"Oh, hi Izzy." She says quietly and turns to me. "You want to join our group." She phrases it as a statement, and I just shrug my shoulders. Ava starts panicking but I realise that I haven't been given a partner yet, so I shake my head.

"No, it's okay." I turn to Isabella. "Have fun." I smile at her and all the colour drains from Ava's face when Izzy grabs her hand and pulls her away. The last four people get paired up and I'm left with no one. Fuck. I look around frantically for Ava but then Mrs Smith approaches me with Joseph.

"Jane, there you are. You're with Mr Turner today." I face falls and I glance at Joseph.

"Miss can't I just go with-" she holds up a hand and shakes her head.

"No. It's already been arranged." She turns to Joseph. "You don't mind, do you?" Joseph looks back and forth between us and smiles brightly.

"I don't mind at all."

"Great! That's sorted." She says and walks away. when she's out of sight I turn to joseph and shove him in the shoulder.

"Ow! What was the for?" he shouts, holding his shoulder.

"What is wrong with you? Can't I just go with Ava?" I shout at him, and he shrugs.

"Be my guest." He gestures his arm out in Ava's direction and steps out of my way to let me pass. I narrow my eyes and barge past him, walking towards my friend. "But..." oh for fucks sake here we go. "You'd get into trouble with Mrs Smith and won't be allowed to leave the hotel until we go home." I stop in my tracks and turn to face him, to find he has a very smug expression on his face. I roll my eyes walking back to him.

"Okay everyone follow me!" we hear Mrs Smith shout, and we all start following her. Joseph stays close behind me as we walk to the entrance, and I can feel his eyes on me. We get to the entrance of the museum, and show the woman our tickets, entering the building in silence.